Home > Catalog > Greek Coins > Geographic - All Periods > Anatolia > Pisidia > GB87155
Keraeitai, Pisidia, c. 100 - 70 B.C.
Keraeitai (also spelled Keraitai, Ceraitae) was about 9 km northeast of ancient Kremna, Pisidia, a few miles from the modern village BelŲren, in Buckak District, Turkey. Keraeitai was on a hill about 1300 meters high, concentrated east of the Acropolis on a plain 1100 - 1200 meters high, protected by a 5 - 6 meters high wall atop steep slopes. The city held a dominant point to control narrow the passages below. Known as "Sivri Tepe" and "Cene Sivrisi" by the local people, K. DŲrtlŁk identified the ruins as Keraitai after a coin reading KEPAEITΩN was found on the site in 1972. Keraitai produced homonia coins with Kremna in the 1st century B.C., and was placed under the authority of Kremna when Augustus designated Kremna a Roman colony in 25 B.C. The city had a substantial temple dedicated to MÍn, the Anatolian moon god.
GB87155. Bronze AE 13, vA Pisidiens II, p. 97, 731 - 737; SNGvA 5055; SNG BnF 1421; SNG Cop 117; Waddington 3663; SNG PfPs 235 var. (no O), VF, green patina, light earthen deposits, light corrosion, Keraeitai
mint, weight 2.125g, maximum diameter 13.4mm, die axis 270o
, c. 100 - 70 B.C.; obverse laureate head of Artemis right, quiver over shoulder; reverse club, ⊦ O above, KE below; rare city
Catalog current as of Tuesday, June 18, 2019.
Page created in 0.95 seconds.