Home > Catalog > Greek Coins > Geographic - All Periods > Greece > Peloponnesos > GB85282
Megara, Megaris, Peloponnesos, Greece, c. 370 - 275 B.C.
Megara is in west Attica, the northern section of the Isthmus of Corinth opposite the island of Salamis, which belonged to Megara in archaic times, before being taken by Athens. Megara was a trade port, its people using their ships and wealth as a way to gain leverage on armies of neighboring poleis. Megara specialized in exportation of wool and other animal products including livestock such as horses. It possessed two harbors, Pegae, to the west on the Corinthian Gulf and Nisaea, to the east on the Saronic Gulf of the Aegean Sea. Megara had 23,456 inhabitants at the 2011 census.
GB85282. Bronze dichalkon, BCD Peloponnesos 7; SNG Cop 480; BMC Attica p. 120, 21; Kroll 643e; HGC 4 1797, gF, Megara mint, weight 2.435g, maximum diameter 14.8mm, die axis 0o
, c. 370 - 275 B.C.; obverse prow of galley left, tripod on deck, nothing below; reverse two dolphins swimming clockwise around MEΓ, all within dotted border; ex CNG, ex BCD Collection; SOLD
Catalog current as of Sunday, July 21, 2019.
Page created in 0.517 seconds.