Home > Catalog > |Byzantine Coins| > |Justinian Dynasty| > |Focas| > SH56805
Byzantine Empire, Focas, 23 November 602 - 5 October 610 A.D.
|The Column of Phocas at Rome was erected before the Rostra and dedicated to the Emperor on 1 August 608. It was the last addition made to the Forum Romanum. The Corinthian column has a height of 13.6 m (44 ft). Both the column and the marble socle were recycled from earlier use. It still stands in its original location, but the statue that was once on top was probably taken down soon after Phocus' death. An English translation of the inscription follows: To the best, most clement and pious ruler, our lord Phocas the perpetual emperor, crowned by God, the forever august triumphator, did Smaragdus, former praepositus sacri palatii and patricius and Exarch of Italy, devoted to His Clemency for the innumerable benefactions of His Piousness and for the peace acquired for Italy and its freedom preserved, this statue of His Majesty, blinking from the splendor of gold here on this tallest column for his eternal glory erect and dedicate, on the first day of the month of August, in the eleventh indiction in the fifth year after the consulate of His Piousness.|
SH56805. Gold solidus, DOC II part 1, 10e.1; Morrisson BnF 8/Cp/AV/12; Wroth BMC 10; Tolstoi 8; Ratto 1181; Hahn MIB II 9; Sommer 9.8; SBCV 620, EF, graffiti, 5th officina, Constantinople (Istanbul, Turkey) mint, weight 4.405g, maximum diameter 21.1mm, die axis 195o
, 607 - 609 A.D.; obverse d N FOCAS PERP AVC, bust facing, bearded, wearing cuirass, paludamentum, and crown with cross on circlet and without pendilia, globus cruciger in right hand; reverse VICTORIA AVGY E (victory of the Emperor, 5th officina), angel standing facing, staurogram staff in right hand, globus cruciger in left hand, CONOB in exergue; SOLD
Catalog current as of Sunday, August 18, 2019.
Page created in 1.288 seconds.