Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Camera /Microscrope camera lighting? ( New Camera and Macro added)  (Read 5615 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Re: Camera /Microscrope camera lighting? ( New Camera and Macro added)
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 01:47:42 pm »
I like this one.  The coin may not be mint state but the photo serves it well.  Keep up the good work.  Every so often buy a really nice coin and reward yourself with an easy photograph. 

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 04:55:29 pm »
Really good idea and I have already started to upgrade some of my coins most of them from the Forum.
Thanks,
Norm

Offline Augustin Caron

• Consul
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 08:26:21 pm »
Hi Norman,
some tips i learned to get correct photographies,

get a decent camera (i use a second hand d70, cheap now) and a very good lens (lens is what matters, as for human portrait photography). Work on lighting position, this is the most time consuming step and the most important to me. Work on field's depth to get coin's volume info transmitted to the viewer. Black, white or various greys backgrounds will not interfere with the picture colour balance. Get a good white balance set up. Get a correct editing picture software; only naives believe that a direct snapshot from a camera will be objective. Human eyes move constantly, correct colour, travel from background to foreground etc... Edit your subject to be honest about it (and to remove dust! )
Last but not least, follow any of Mister Doug Smith advices and articles on coin photography. He is the master.

Regards (thanks for being indulgent about my english !)
AC

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 10:54:03 pm »
Thanks.
I noticed you have a black background on coins in your gallery.
They look very nice and also the edges show up well lighted against the background.
I am always appreciative of suggestions in all areas of coin collecting and especially photography since I have only very limited experience.
I have a several friends who are photographers but it is always difficult to find time to get together and of course they don't do this kind of photography but I am sure they cold help.
Norm

All coins are guaranteed for eternity