Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin id in case  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Archon

• Consul
Coin id in case
« on: November 12, 2014, 04:49:29 pm »
Hi if your case doesn't have room for labels in Or on it how do you keep track of what coin is what?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Coin id in case
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 05:02:18 pm »
Quote from: Archon on November 12, 2014, 04:49:29 pm
Hi if your case doesn't have room for labels in Or on it how do you keep track of what coin is what?

Same way you keep track of your kids without there being labels attached to then. You just know your own coins. But seriously, I use my collection spreadsheet to keep track of what's where. My spreadsheet is actually organised in order of my coin trays, but even if in a different order one can use the a column in the spreadsheet to indicate which tray a coin is in.

Offline Archon

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 06:05:03 pm »
Is that in Google drive?

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 06:19:37 pm »
If your case has room for a coin, then it has room for some type of label, even if that label is nothing more than a number cross-referencing to a list.  For my trays, I designed small, 1×2 inch tags which I print on acid free paper and fold in half to net a 1x1 inch tag. The front-half has a numeric collection i.d. (which cross-references to my detailed collection database) and very basic information - denomination, weight, mint and standard catalog references. The back-half has provenance information. If you use tiny fonts, with a modern printer, you'd be amazed how much you can fit into a 1x1 square tag.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity