Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: CSI - Ancient Coin Photography  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
CSI - Ancient Coin Photography
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:13:10 pm »
The other night I was messing around with some photography apps on my phone when I came across one that took pictures in both a "negative" (silver/blue/back hues) and a "night vision" (green) mode. I noticed that the camera filters were picking up things that couldn't be seen under normal light so tried it on a few coins. I was surprised to find that I was actually getting details on many coins there were invisible or barely visible under normal light.

So my question is: Are there any really good methods to image coins that can bring out the details of a coin too worn or corroded identify by sight?

I'm thinking specifically about a Marc Antony legionary coin that I have that is essentially worn smooth on the reverse.

When watching crime shows, investigators are always able to use gadgets and science to see serial numbers filed off of guns and the like... isn't there a real world way to get an image of impressions, or metal stresses on coins that are hiding secrets? Any thoughts welcome!

Josh

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: CSI - Ancient Coin Photography
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:26:50 pm »
There will have to be some detail left. In crime labs, yes, there are all sorts of ways to get impressions visible that are otherwise very faint and hard to see.  Most of them used in the impressions departments and latent print departments.

In regards to completely filed off SNs on guns for example they actually use acid to re-etch the barrel where the SN is filed away. The differences in metal hardness from the SN being stamped into the barrel bring forth the SN again.  With the right lighting etc details are picked up.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: CSI - Ancient Coin Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:26:53 pm »
There will have to be some detail left. In crime labs, yes, there are all sorts of ways to get impressions visible that are otherwise very faint and hard to see.  Most of them used in the impressions departments and latent print departments.

In regards to completely filed off SNs on guns for example they actually use acid to re-etch the barrel where the SN is filed away. The differences in metal hardness from the SN being stamped into the barrel bring forth the SN again.  With the right lighting etc details are picked up.

a similar technique is used on Buffalo nickels, where the date is worn away.

~ Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity