Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Where to store ancient tetradrachms  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Matej G

• Auxiliary
Where to store ancient tetradrachms
« on: October 23, 2014, 03:00:19 pm »
Hi guys,

can you please help me where to store ancient tetradrachms? They are different sizes but usually from 25mm to 26mm. The problem is their height. I tried 30 mm bubbles from Leuchtturm and they didn't help because of height. Can you please recommend me some excellect storage for these beautiful coins? I am looking for something decent in order to have an option to look at my coins ofently from both sides. Thanks!

M. 

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
Re: Where to store ancient tetradrachms
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 03:21:08 pm »
Dear Matej , I have also Tetras . and others

Buy FORVM coin flips ( they are best of the best ) , which they are special for long term storage.  And place in (tray if you have if not make your own or buy)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=861&pos=0#Coin-Collecting-Supplies

One Tetra in one flip with a number on it ….

Sam
Sam Mansourati

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 03:27:13 pm »
Abafil trays are the answer. They look amazing and are perfect for thick coins.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:11:53 pm »
Hi guys,

can you please help me where to store ancient tetradrachms? They are different sizes but usually from 25mm to 26mm. The problem is their height. I tried 30 mm bubbles from Leuchtturm and they didn't help because of height. Can you please recommend me some excellect storage for these beautiful coins? I am looking for something decent in order to have an option to look at my coins ofently from both sides. Thanks!

M.  

Abafil trays are the answer. They look amazing and are perfect for thick coins.

With all due respect to you,  Andrew and to your  experience in ancient coins field.

I would not put a valuable coin in a tray square without a flip.

There are 2”by 2 “ square tray fit a 2”by 2 “ flip tightly  ( 20 coin tray )

or other sizes , you can cut the flip to fit tightly

Without a flip coin will be loose moves left , right and jump too :)
when you move the tray.. specially if the tray has no cover ( and even with cover without a flip , coin can hit the plastic cover from in side).
Sam Mansourati

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 04:18:28 pm »
I've about 1500 high quality ancient coins sitting in Abafil trays without any restraining flips. Many have been there 20 years. So far I've seen no evidence of any ever being worn or scuffed by their time in open trays. Some of my coins are very thick. The felt in Abafil trays is very soft, and are cushioned below (and there's a cushion under the tray above) and coins tend to make a slight indentation in the felt, which helps them stay static even as the trays are moved about. I wouldn't dream of then adding a plastic cover. For one thing I couldn't then handle my coins.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 05:00:39 pm »
I just want to make sure that we are talking about Tetras and below.. no huge
Roman republic coins.

Any how different way of thinking , does not effect the friendship , in fact makes it stronger :)

You know , I take my hat off to you.
Sam
Sam Mansourati

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 05:23:25 pm »
I think we are talking more a difference in taste than in protection. There are several safe ways to store coins, and some unsafe ways. Tray rub is a real danger and an open plastic tray does indeed risk coin rubbing, for this reason museums which use open trays may have the coins in removable boxes within a skeleton tray so removing one coin doesn't affect the rest, and its often normal to have a square of clear perspex below each coin separating it from its tags and from the tray bottom. In the end, any loose tray is a risk. For one thing, you can drop the entire tray and your favourite and most valuable coin can roll into that crack between the skirting board and the floor, and never be seen again. One cant protect against all risks. Abafil trays are a reasonable compromise. Museum system trays are a different compromise. Flips are a different compromise again, as the long thread started by Meepzorp on BD in safe flips showed, the enclosed nature of even a safe flip means any BD you put inside it may escalate worse than if a coin were in an open tray. There are no perfect solutions.

So aesthetics and convenience should be part of the equation. Abafil trays are certainly aesthetic. They are also expensive. Flips are certainly convenient. Both can be coin-safe if properly managed.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 07:27:44 am »
If my most valuable coin rolled between the skirting board and floor I would be grabbing the crowbar and sledge. 

But otherwise I agree fully with Andrew.

I find your comment though about museums storing coins on a square of clear perspex interesting.  You would still get a lot of "slide" that way, though maybe the perspex is deemed softer than the plastic.  I try to keep mine on felt squares and where I don't have enough I have them on the paper tags until I can get more felt.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 08:11:38 am »
I find your comment though about museums storing coins on a square of clear perspex interesting.  You would still get a lot of "slide" that way, though maybe the perspex is deemed softer than the plastic.  I try to keep mine on felt squares and where I don't have enough I have them on the paper tags until I can get more felt.

Tags can be potentially abrasive. It depends. After all, one of the classic coin storage systems is 2x2 paper envelopes, so it's not paper as such that's a problem, but perhaps the nature of the paper/card. Some types of felt can be abrasive, and some not. Natural felts can be scratchy. Wool felt is absolutely the worst, and can ruin a coin in months. Perhaps silk felt is better. The artificial felt used in Abafil trays seems to be fine, at least from my decades of experience.

The squares of clear plastic used in museum systems are not very soft, in fact they are relatively stiff, but they are perfectly smooth and thus non-abrasive, and presumably also an absolutely coin-safe material: that means no plasticisers, which implies stiffness. The tags sit under the plastic. These systems have trays without compartments, full of small open boxes, the coins sit on plastic, on a tag, in each box. When you want to examine a coin, you remove its box including tags. This avoids disturbing the rest of the tray, and keeps the coin and tag together at all times. The loose boxes also allow the coins to be rearranged without having to touch a single coin.

Thinking further on the matter, although I expressed neutrality among several different storage methods in my prior post, I don't really feel neutral. My view is that open trays are better, in allowing air circulation, and drier conditions. Variations between humid days and cold nights means that moisture can potentially condense as water in a flip, although this may be more a theoretical than real problem. Even for coin-safe flips one has no absolute guarantees that there are zero chlorides, and one can make mistakes in the choices of flips. Paper flips instinctively feel safer, but who, apart from RBW (as those who buy his duplicates will know) uses paper flips nowadays? I also don't like the idea of plastic mechanically sandwiching my coin faces and pressing on the surfaces. Regardless of BD, or chlorides, who knows what the long term effect might be? I don't think it can do much for toning or patina. My open trays result in slow and lovely toning. So, though I'm not claiming any higher level of technical wisdom on this, it's open trays for me, and I'm sticking with what I'm familiar with.

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 11:09:35 am »
Why not consider gem jars?  It sounds like you want a combination of convenience and protection, with an emphasis on issues of coin depth.

Gem jars use a foam and felt pad and encase the coin in a plastic capsule. Being that your coins are 25-26mm they make gem jars that spec out right at 27mm. This would mean a tight fit and the coin won't be able to move much at all. Of course they make bigger jars as well.

The challenge then becomes the height issue. However, the foam bottoms of the jars can be cut down to make ample room height wise in the jar.

For my coins I came up with a quick and effective method for cutting them down all the same height.

On the other hand you can let the lids smash into the top of the coins if desired and then they won't budge at all. My research shows the plastic is inert and safe. Since the coins wouldn't be able to slide there would be no worries of the plastic damaging them. Another member on this board uses that method. I chose to cut mine down. My coins do slide a bit but I have not seen any issues.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 01:07:14 pm »
Here is how I used to store my coins , now they are stored same way but  in FORVM flips ,
Sam Mansourati

Offline Matej G

• Auxiliary
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 09:53:56 am »
Thank you for your advice guys. I bought Leuchtturm boxes and put there my first tetradrachm of Alexander the Great:

[BROKEN IMAGE LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

The red foundation seems to be velvet. Do you think I can put tetradrachms on it without any problems? I am not planning to move these boxes often so I guess its Ok when coins stay there without any move. I read that by moving silver coins silver wears off. Nevertheless I am still thinking about obtaining some plastic bubbles just to be sure. What do you think?

M.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 10:15:55 am »
I think the pros and cons of adding an additional layer of plastic have been discussed above already. There are pros and there are cons. By "plastic bubbles" I assume you mean a coin-safe flip.

Leuctturms look nice. They aren't quite the same as Abafils. Abafils have a padded bottom to each tray (that forms the lid for each tray below) and the compartments are padded, i.e. the velvet coverings are soft when you press then. I think they probably provide more cushioning.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity