Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING UNTIL 3 FEBRUARY Layaway and reserve are not available during the sale Shop NOW and save! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING UNTIL 3 FEBRUARY Please call us if you have questions 252-646-1958 Shop NOW and save!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: Ancient Coin App -- with Screenshots 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ancient Coin App -- with Screenshots  (Read 2521 times)
rfeiner
« on: October 21, 2014, 08:15:42 pm »

Hello Forvm! I'm new to collecting ancient coins, but I've been really impressed by the posts on this forum. This is a truly great site for the new collector.

This is my first post, so I'll try to make it an interesting one.

I'm a software developer by trade and when I got my first batch of uncleaned coins I quickly hopped online to do a lot of research and identify the coins. While doing this I noticed that a lot of ancient coin websites have great data, but crummy search tools. Many sites, for instance, don't have things like partial inscription searches, ranked searches, and search features specific to ancient coins. I decided to build some software that solved these problems, and soon I'd spent far, far too many hours on it. The resulting product is a Windows application that also runs on Windows tablets (full windows only, not ARM). The core of the application can also be used to create an iPhone or Android app, but I haven't pursued that yet. It's built for browsing/searching Roman coins and It's designed to work off of CSV files, so with minimal effort it's possible to get the app up-and-running on a new data set. Some of the features are listed below:

Partial Legend searches (wildcards, character sets, etc...) for both obverse and reverse legends
A metal and denomination search that presents only relevant metal/denomination combinations
Quick searches for headdress types and clothing types   
Support for "free searches" by keywords
Support for Exact Match searches (like nearly all online databases), but also allows a Ranked Search that won't exclude results in the case of inexact matches. This makes for better search results when you're guessing search terms
A "popout" feature that allows you to open a coin's details in a new window so that you can compare it to others or see more details about it
Provides the ability to search only for coins that have images
Coming Soon: Mint-specific search functionality

Screenshots of the application in action are attached.

I'm currently using sample data from the American Numismatic Society (http://www.numismatics.org/) in the app, but I obviously don't have the copyright to distribute such data. That's where Forvm comes in -- I'm looking for someone who has access to large amounts of coin data that would be interested in utilizing the application. I think it could be an interesting opportunity/differentiator for sites such as Wildwinds, acsearch, ANS (assuming someone knows someone there), and obviously ForvmAncientCoins. 
I can't implement the app for free, but I can certainly provide it for cheaper than if you were to commission the construction of such an app. I also work for ancient coins!

Please let me know if there is any interest. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.   
Tom Mullally
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 07:48:15 pm »

In case you're curious, Agora Auctions has an app for both the I phone and Android systems.  You can follow the auction, place bids and manage your bids, all through the app.

Tom Mullally

Tom Mullally

Coin Project - Co-founder and Assistant Director
ickster
Consul

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 06:53:40 pm »

In case you're curious, Agora Auctions has an app for both the I phone and Android systems.  You can follow the auction, place bids and manage your bids, all through the app.

Tom Mullally

And a very useful and dangerous app at that!
areich
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 04:27:20 am »

The problem here is not so much the software used to search for coins but the way the data is available. Acsearch.info is basically doing a full-text search. The raw data from auction houses isn't being processed to make it searchable by denomination, obverse and reverse depiction etc. Whatever system you have, it's only as useful as the database behind it. If it has only a couple of thousand entries, people will not be able to use it to identify their coins, no matter how easy and comfortable the search is.

One of the most useful databases for identifying coins is ISEGRIM. It's absolutely dreadful to use, doesn't even have pictures but it includes a large number of standard references and tens of thousands of coins and that's only covering Asia minor.

rfeiner
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:44:32 pm »

The problem here is not so much the software used to search for coins but the way the data is available. Acsearch.info is basically doing a full-text search. The raw data from auction houses isn't being processed to make it searchable by denomination, obverse and reverse depiction etc. Whatever system you have, it's only as useful as the database behind it. If it has only a couple of thousand entries, people will not be able to use it to identify their coins, no matter how easy and comfortable the search is.

One of the most useful databases for identifying coins is ISEGRIM. It's absolutely dreadful to use, doesn't even have pictures but it includes a large number of standard references and tens of thousands of coins and that's only covering Asia minor.

Thanks for the comment.

Clearly the quality and organization of the underlying data are going to drive the usefulness  of the any app built on top of that data.

Admittedly, the data-model that I've built is most useful for datasets that are well-organized. Right now it only has 72,000 coins in the sample set, but like I said, it's easy to plug in new ones. The ANS data is very well organized, and is a good fit for the model that I've built, but the model only really requires 3 fields to be useful (though it's more interesting with more):
Obverse Legend
Reverse Legend
Generic Description

What I've built effectively allows me to stand up Windows, iPhone, and Android apps relatively quickly. Anyone else have thoughts?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: Ancient Coin App -- with Screenshots « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop