Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Old collection tags  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Aleph

• Consul
Old collection tags
« on: July 31, 2015, 06:49:40 pm »
When an old provenance is in the description, does this usually mean that the old tags are also included?  The specific coin in question:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1658&zpg=80240

Thanks!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Old collection tags
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 06:57:31 pm »
Joe S. will certainly be able to tell you whether any tags accompany this particular coin.

In general, it should not be expected that coins with old provenances will also be accompanied by old tickets. If tickets are present, generally they will be specifically mentioned in the description.
Curtis Clay

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:32:31 pm »
Thanks, Curtis.  That is what I thought.  What got me curious is wondering how the provenance is assigned.  If a coin has no tags, no documented sales in a listing, and is not listed as a plate coin, then how does one attribute provenance?  I am curious to hear from Joe.

Kevin

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 07:46:28 pm »
In this particular case, I would suppose that Lindgren donated a group of coins to the Butte College Foundation, which the Foundation is now selling via Forvm.

So the authority for the provenance is the Foundation's statement regarding the source of the coins, which is now being repeated by Forvm in their descriptions.
Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 09:06:45 pm »
Curtis is correct, except that the Butte College Foundation sold the entire group as a single lot. Forum made the highest offer and bought them.

Nearly all the coins do have Lindgren's tags. I will not be in the office until Monday to check this one in particular. His tags are, however, hand written on scraps of paper without much concern for appearance, and most do not name him or his firm Antioch Associates. The Forum tag will include the Lindgren provenance.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity