Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A good coin from a lousy photo  (Read 1448 times)

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
A good coin from a lousy photo
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:33:10 pm »
Some of the best buys that one can get are when  a seller completely mishandles the photography of his coin. In this case a Philip I of Viminacium. He evidently used a scanner and neglected the difficulty that its light grey-green and brown patina would pose. I show the seller's photo and if he hadn't claimed it to be a VF grade coin from HJB I would never have taken a chance on it.

The second photo shows the problem when the coin is viewed or photographed in approximately 'true' color and light, especially on the obverse. Dark and light patches in the patina make it appear to have big gouges on the surface. This definitely has an adverse effect on the coin's appearance, even "in hand".

In the last image that I will use for my gallery I photographed the coin in more glancing light which emphasizes the relief and reduces the unpleasant mottling of the patination. The result may be a little "phony" but, hey, I like it! It really brings out the tough character of Philip.

My photo technique is pretty basic. I have an inexpensive Konica-Minolta with macro lens and use a table lamp for lighting. I hold the coin in one hand and steady it against the camera in the other. This keeps coin and camera in the same orientation even if both move about some while allowing me to get the best possible angle and intensity of light.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: A good coin from a lousy photo
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:45:11 pm »
Nice find!  I love it when sellers can't photograph coins well :D

I got this one on a bad photo. Unfortunately I didn't keep a copy of the original but it was terrible.  It was so easy to photograph too. Oh well, better for us right?

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-98292

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:52:01 pm »
Yeah, it's a real shame these guys don't know how to photograph coins :evil:

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 12:01:53 am »
Hi Dave,

Is your Philip I coin double struck or tooled? The reverse in particular looks that way.

Meepzorp

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 12:55:46 pm »
Hi Meep

The reverse appears to be slightly double struck. I don't see any signs of tooling.

Dave

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 03:55:06 am »
Dave,

Nice job on your photo.  Good way to deal with those very mottled surfaces like you often find on the PMS COL VIM and DACIA coins.

I tried this a bit but gave up due the difficulties in trying to add in an even background.

But something just struck me.  If you lay a piece of cloth over your hand (and under the coin) while doing this would it make it easier to substitute the background?

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 03:51:26 pm »
The reverse is double-struck, which is not uncommon on coins from Viminacium.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity