Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How to remove the background from coin picture?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
How to remove the background from coin picture?
« on: July 03, 2014, 01:41:27 pm »
I recently upgraded my camera and am in the process of redoing my collection...I wonder what is the quickest/easiest way to remove the background of a picture like this?  I have hundreds to do :)

Thanks

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: How to remove the background from coin picture?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 02:01:43 pm »
There is some advice in this thread here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=74061.0

or I could do it for you  ;D

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:43:00 pm »
You did a wonderful job, and thanks for the tip...

You know the bit about teaching people to fish right?  If you click on the link to my poor excuse for a gallery, you know why that is important ;) I am in the process of retaking all the pictures...

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 04:02:47 pm »
No problem, any time I can help!

It's a good picture but it could be even better.  Use the MACRO setting on your camera (usually a flower icon) and move out from the coin a bit.  This will give you a deeper depth of field so that the entire coin is in focus.  You can crop the image later.  Also check if your camera has different lighting settings.  Most digital cameras now do.  Adjust for the type of light you are using, for example fluorescent, natural, incandescent...  This will reduce the amount of "red" that shows up on silver and give you a more natural look.  If not you can always adjust this in Photoshop or other photo editing software.  Of course each coin will reflect light differently but taking pictures is half the fun, at least for me it is.

All the best!

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 08:29:24 pm »
While you can always remove a background in postprocessing, I still consider it easier if you make efforts to keep the background as free of detail as possible and to be sure that even the edges of the coin have a little light so the detail in the image is all coin and nothing else.  This image is not exactly what I am using today but it might give the idea.  Part of the fun is experimenting to see what you can do to keep the light where you want it and not where you don't. 
http://www.pbase.com/dougsmit/image/121792560

The hardest will be to take black coins on a black background without merger. 
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/coinphoto2011ez3.html

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 10:27:09 pm »
To demonstrate showing the current rig:  The white paper reflects light on the bottom edge of the coin separating it from the background without postprocessing (other than combining the two images).  If this is too strong a line, the white paper can be replaced with gray. 

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 05:23:50 am »
Wow!

Excellent results.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity