Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Agrippine la Jeune et la monnaie : de la princesse à la "régente", by Virginie G  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
Agrippine la Jeune et la monnaie : de la princesse à la "régente", in The City and the Coin in the Ancient and Early Medieval Worlds, F. Lopez Sanchez (ed.), BAR IS n°2402, 2012, p. 61-72.more  by Virginie Girod

https://www.academia.edu/4049519/Agrippine_la_Jeune_et_la_monnaie_de_la_princesse_a_la_regente_in_The_City_and_the_Coin_in_the_Ancient_and_Early_Medieval_Worlds_F._Lopez_Sanchez_ed._BAR_IS_n_2402_2012_p._61-72

Joe Geranio
JCIA
CCAESAR

Offline Potator II

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Merci pour le partage Joe

JC

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Agrippine la Jeune et la monnaie : de la princesse à la "régente"
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:34:06 pm »
Thanks for the link, Joe, though unfortunately there is little that is new or original in Mlle. Girod's paper. She just recites well-known facts about Agrippina's life and career and repeats well-known interpretations of the Roman imperial coin types in which Agrippina appears.

Two bloopers. 1. She assigns the rare sestertius of Agrippina II with reverse Carpentum, no legend, to the mint of Rome, and considers it an important document of Agrippina's political preeminence late in Claudius' reign, since her obverse legend is in the nominative case, and she gets the Carpentum reverse while still living and before becoming priestess of the deified Claudius. However that sestertius was actually struck in Thrace, along with the sestertii of Britannicus and of Nero as Caesar. Agrippina's types were copied from the sestertii struck by Caligula for his mother Agrippina I after her death; that's where the nominative legend and carpentum rev. type came from, not from any declaration or reflection of Agrippina II's power at Rome!

2. She thinks the second person in the elephant car on the reverse of the aurei and denarii of Nero and Agrippina in 55 might be not Divus Augustus, as traditionally stated, but rather Fides Praetorianorum, the Loyalty of the Praetorians. This, she says, is the interpretation of J.-B. Giard, which she approves (p. 7, note 45). However surely she should have been aware that that is not Giard's interpretation, but my own, set forth in my very detailed paper on the early gold and silver coinage of Nero in Numismatische Zeitschrift 1982. In his second edition of RIC I, pp. 148-9, Sutherland called attention to my paper, and summarized some of my conclusions, including my reinterpretation of the second figure in the elephant-car type. That's where Giard got the idea, though he failed to acknowledge his source. Yet apparently Mlle. Girod had not read Sutherland's appendix to his RIC introduction to Nero, as she certainly had not read my paper, which she never mentions and does not list in her bibliography, though it contains very substantial treatments of the three earliest gold and silver types of Nero's reign, the exact subject of the last four pages of her published paper!
Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
Thanks as always Curtis
CCAESAR

All coins are guaranteed for eternity