Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AE Triens . BD or deposits .  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
AE Triens . BD or deposits .
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:11:30 pm »
Need a opinion . Corrosion / deposits   or BD ?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: AE Triens . BD or deposits .
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 05:04:52 am »
Can't tell from the photo.  Even when I blew it up.

If the green stuff is a) hard, and b) on top of the dark brown surface, then no it is probably only malachite encrustations and harmless.

If the green stuff is a) soft (try to poke it with a sharp steel pin), and b) in a hole or depression in the dark brown surface, then it is BD.  In fact if it is soft but still appears to be on the surface then it is also likely BD and may simply be covering a hole. 

If it is BD and your coin is covered in any form of wax - its colour and glossy sheen look a bit like old waxed coins - then you may have a real problem with the BD possibly spread under much of the surface.

I sincerely hope that it is not BD.........

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Re: AE Triens . BD or deposits .
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:41:50 pm »
Thank you Shawn
After close examination , reply from the previous owner  and  comparing current condition with the old picture of this coin I believe that this is only malachite encrustations .
Best regards ,
Vlad .

All coins are guaranteed for eternity