Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: [need help] for a study on Gorgon/Medusa coinages  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Brennos

• Consul
[need help] for a study on Gorgon/Medusa coinages
« on: December 03, 2013, 06:34:44 pm »
Hello Board,

I'm embarked in a massive study of coins depicting gorgon/medusa face.

I try to assemble as many exemplar as possible for a detailed study (style, die-studies ...)

I have an acces to all the standard references and i try to add some exemplars from private collections .   :P

"The nuts" for me would be to have a picture of the coin with the weight, the diameter and the pedegree especially if bought on "acsearch auction houses" to avoid any duplication. But of course i would appreciate any single info  ;)

And of course, the datas won't be used for a commercial stuff and the individual informations will remain private.

I welcome any mint but i would particulary appreciate datas on coins from  Himera, Neapolis (Macedonia), Athens, Parion and Apollonia Pontica.

You could send me infos on the email address   facinggorgo@live.fr

Many thanks in advance

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: [need help] for a study on Gorgon/Medusa coinages
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 07:11:17 pm »
Sounds cool, but how do we know what you already have?

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 07:34:30 pm »
Something like this one , or it is a known kind ?

Thank you
Sam

ANCIENT GREEK / Apollonia Pontica
Obverse : Gorgon Facing with tongue protruding.
Reverse :Upturned anchor, crayfish and A to either side.
Apollonia Pontica Mint 5th-4th Century B.C.
14mm , 2.9 gr.
SNG 160f
Sam Mansourati

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:16:16 pm »
Do you want Roman coins too? I've data and a photo of one or two exceptionally rare Roman bronze coins with Gorgon Medusa as the main types.

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 06:24:26 am »
In fact , as i also want to make "die-studies" , i would like to have as many coins as possible for all the issues with the gorgoneion/medusa type .  I mean not just only one example for each mint (i already have it as far as i know except perhaps if some rare Roman coins with this type exist)

I would say a kind of "corpus" so if you have 10 Apollonia of the same type, you could send me the 10 pictures  ;)

@Molinari : I already have the exemplars from published public and private collections and the ones from the ACSEARCH database. It leaves all the others ...

@Sam : It's exactly what i expect thank you.

@Andrew : Yes it would be great! For the roman period, i plan to mostly make a stylistical comparaison/evolution with the glyptic which is quite abundant on that issue.

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 01:00:15 pm »

Offline RomaDelendaest

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:05:21 pm »
I have a coin issued by Seleucus that has an image of Medusa, but honestly it is a bit worn.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 01:09:57 am »

I'm embarked in a massive study of coins depicting gorgon/medusa face.

I try to assemble as many exemplar as possible for a detailed study (style, die-studies ...)

I have an acces to all the standard references and i try to add some exemplars from private collections .   :P

"The nuts" for me would be to have a picture of the coin with the weight, the diameter and the pedegree especially if bought on "acsearch auction houses" to avoid any duplication. But of course i would appreciate any single info  ;)

Why not start with searches on the terms "medusa" and "gorgon" on the acsearch, CoinArchives and Forvm databases?  You'll pull up hundreds of examples with images and all the data you require and you can refine it further if you wish by adding a geographic search term etc if you want narrow it to a specific region or city.

Also
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/NumisWiki/view.asp?key=Medusa%20Coins
[BROKEN LINKS REMOVED BY ADMIN]
http://www.ancientcoinage.org/perseus-and-medusa.html

Plus a Google search on medusa will pull up hundreds of images on the Google Image page.

No real need to hound Forvm members for examples... at least until you've exhausted the many online resources and sources for this ancient coinage iconography.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 04:01:19 pm »
it's already done of course but thank you for the advice  ;)

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 04:43:06 pm »
It seems very ambitious to do a number of die studies at once, maybe one at a time would be better. A die study concentrating on just a few types from 50 or more cities seems a lot of work but of limited use. The Athena/Perseus type alone was struck in a large number of cities, with many dies used in the more common ones like Amisos and Sinope. I think a project this broad is doomed to failure unless it is separated into smaller, more manageable parts.
Andreas Reich

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 10:31:42 am »
hi areich,

I'm young and ambitious  ;D

But I misspoke, I do not have the ambition (nor the pretention) to make "academic die studies" but carefully studying the stylistic differences and evolutions through the greek world.

Offline Grant H

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 04:33:20 pm »
circa 411-390 bc 15mm 1.78 12h

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 09:46:50 am »
You can go to the member galleries and search using the term Gorgon or the term medusa and see several examples.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity