Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nabataean Numismatics  (Read 37209 times)

Offline TIF

• Consul
Re: Nabataean Numismatics
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2015, 04:34:40 pm »
John, I'm really enjoying this thread.  Nice work on your website too.

:)

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2015, 11:29:16 am »
This post is a response to the earlier conversation initiated by Robert Brenchley, concerning the role of non-figurative art in Nabataean culture. I recently acquired The Formation of Nabatean Art - Prohibition of a Graven Image Among the Nabateans, by Joseph Patrich, The Magnus Press, Hebrew University, 1990. This volume has proved an excellent resource for examining the coinage in the larger context of Nabataean art.

Patrich draws a distinction between the art of the royalty, heavily influenced by Greek and Roman aesthetics, and the art of the common man, which adhered to its ancestral roots. While the kings of Nabataea sought to fashion a figurative architecture and coinage modeled after foreign ideals, ordinary citizens practiced a non-figurative approach to pottery, jewelry, and the representation of their gods by baetyls and stele.

Extant Nabataean stele are found by the hundreds, while figurative representations of Greek gods and goddesses are few and far between. The ancestral religion is attested well into Roman times by coin evidence. On the city issues of Adraa, Bostra, Charachmoba, and Medaba, one finds reverse types that depict an altar on which a baetyl is placed.

This dichotomy between the royal and conservative ideologies created some overlap, and no small amount of religious tension. A cult of Isis is evinced in various locations, with figurative representations of the goddess, while in other locations, figurative art has clearly been defaced. Suffice it to say, the Nabataeans were nowhere near as rigorous about non-figurative aesthetics as their neighbors, the Judaeans.

Patrich’s analysis leads me to believe that there may be no significant religious symbolism in the most common and frequent Nabataean reverse types, namely, cornucopias, wreaths, and eagles. These are merely an appropriation of common Greek themes, used to enhance the circulation of the coins. In fact, once Malichus I began minting the first truly Nabataean coinage, the Greek tradition of portraying gods on coins was rejected altogether, in favor of these generic types. Even the progressive royalty had to make concessions to tradition: portraiture was acceptable, but the anthropomorphic representation of gods was not.

The Nabataeans did experiment with  a few reverse designs that may have had religious significance, but these coins are extremely rare, and they gained no purchase whatsoever in the greater scheme of Nabataean minting. I will discuss these issue in a future post.

By the middle of Aretas IV’s reign, Nabataean coinage, both silver and bronze, featured only the busts of the king and queen, and crossed double cornucopias. These themes would be relentlessly repeated during the reigns of Malichus II and Rabbel II, for some 75 years till the end of the empire. It’s clear that the Nabataeans simply lost interest in varying their coinage in any substantive way. This points to a very utilitarian approach, and underscores the idea that we should not look for any religious symbolism in the common types. It was good enough for government work, and why fix it if it ain’t broke?

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2015, 02:30:41 pm »
I've added a second coin of Aretas III's Damascene issues to my collection, a coin I thought I'd never come across, yet there it was one day, sitting in a French dealer's plate of Nabataeans.

To briefly recap, Aretas III was invited by the citizens of Damascus, constantly under threat of Idumaean invasion, to be their king and protector after the defeat of Antiochus XII. He struck some city coins in Seleucid style during his tenure, from 83/82 to c. 71 BC. Meshorer reports that the larger denomination coins, with Tyche seated, are common, but the small denomination coins are rare.

Indeed, this is the only example I've come across in three years of hunting. Others may exist of course, likely mis-attributed as Seleucid issues. Meshorer recorded two examples, one in the Cabinet de Médailles (his plate coin), and another in the Glasgow Museum. I could not locate the coin in GM's online database - all I found were five bronzes of Aretas IV in the Hunterian Collection.

Perhaps this is the GM example? Did the Museum sell off any of their coins in the 80's? But my coin is in much better condition than Meshorer's plate coin, and I would assume that if Meshorer had seen it, he would have used a picture of it in his catalog, so perhaps I'm grasping at straws.

At any rate, I've paired it with my larger denomination in the attached image, for the sake of comparison. For the time being, I'm calling it the third known example of the type.

1. Nabataean Kingdom: Aretas III, 83-62 BC
AE20, 7g, 12h; Damascus Mint, 83/82-71 BC
Obv.: Diademed head of Aretas III right.
Rev.: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ/ΑΡΕΤΟΥ/ΦΙΑ-ΕΛΛΗΝΟΣ; Tyche of Damascus, turreted, seated left on rock, wearing long mantle, holding uncertain object in right hand, river god swimming below.
Reference: Meshorer 6A

2. Nabataean Kingdom: Aretas III, 83-62 BC
AE, 3.56g, 12h; Damascus Mint, 83/82-71 BC
Obv.: Diademed head of Aretas III right.
Rev.: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ/ΑΡΕΤΟΥ; Nike in guise of Tyche, turreted, standing left, winged, holding scepter in left hand and waving wreath to her front with right; monogram AP in right field.
Reference: Meshorer 8
Ex-Jacquier, Kehl, lot 8, spring 1988, no. 130

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2015, 04:35:07 am »
I've added a second coin of Aretas III's Damascene issues to my collection, a coin I thought I'd never come across, yet there it was one day, sitting in a French dealer's plate of Nabataeans.

Congratulations John on your recent find, i am sure it will take pride of place in your growing collection of Nabataeans.

Indeed, this is the only example I've come across in three years of hunting. Others may exist of course, likely mis-attributed as Seleucid issues. Meshorer recorded two examples, one in the Cabinet de Médailles (his plate coin), and another in the Glasgow Museum. I could not locate the coin in GM's online database - all I found were five bronzes of Aretas IV in the Hunterian Collection.

After arousing my curiosity i browsed through BNF and believe i found the coin you mentioned above. I also found a very similar coin listed as being Aretas III, do you have any further information regarding this mint or as the coin been attributed incorrectly (see images below) ?

Thanks for sharing your informative posts on Nabataean coinage, it as certainly increased my interest in these facinating and historical coins.

Keep up the great work John.

P.S  I don´t own Meshorer !

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2015, 05:42:54 am »
Great my friend! You've located Meshorer's second cited example of Me 8. The second coin is the larger denomination Tyche-standing type, and this is his plate coin for Me 7. Thank you very much - I will include them in my online catalog.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2015, 01:56:59 am »
Thank you for posting those, Nero. The first is a coin of Rabbel II. Although the king's name is obliterated on the reverse, the queen's name is quite clear: gimel-mem-lamedh-taw, or Gamilat. I discuss these types on the following page...

http://www.nabataeannumismatics.com/GamilatBronze.html

The second is a coin of Malichus II - you can see his name clearly spelled out on the top of the reverse: mem-lamedh-heth-waw.

The third coin is a minute bronze of Aretas IV. There are a great many variants of these coins - here is a handful from my collection.

Hi John Anthony ,

Your site are very useful..
Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2015, 02:06:31 pm »
JohnAnthony: I am really, really impressed with that small denomination type you bought! I'm so used to just seeing Aretas' name spelled out in Nabataean letters. But here the APETOY stands so clearly, I almost couldn't believe my eyes! This might be a niche collection area, but never doubt whether there are people out there envious of your collection. I certainly am! +++

Aside from congratulating you with that amazing acquisition, I also wanted to share a coin type I haven't seen yet in this thread.

It has a portrait of Aretas IV on the obverse and two cornucopiae on the reverse with a palm frond on the left.
There's a P-S monogram for PhaSael to the lower right. It's not very clear on my coin but I hope you can see it on the picture. With a magnifying glass and the coin in hand, there's no doubt!

I don't see many of these having been sold. FORVMseems to be the only seller to have handled a decent amount of these :) At least when checking ACSearch.

They were apparently struck in 5 or 4 BC (why these years?) and with the small weight I assume they were equal in value to half a "unit". This coin measures 13-14 mm in diameter and weighs 2.44 grams.

I have found a few catalog references in the FORVM attributions: SNG ANS 1430; SGICV 5701 and Meshorer 61.

Now, Meshorer 61 seems to have an A and a B type. It seems that this could come down to a Nabataean letter on the obverse, which could be practically invisible on my coin if it's there. Maybe where's another way to tell?

All in all I'm enjoying slowly expanding my Nabataean collection. This thread certainly never dissuaded me - on the contrary!

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2015, 02:49:21 pm »
Hello Christopher, thank you very much for your kind words. In fact, my one example of this type comes from the FORVM store, see attached. There are two varieties, one with cornucopias right, one left. Perhaps that is what Meshorer is referring to with A and B, but I am currently away from my references, so I'll have to verify later.

These coins commemorate the birth of Aretas IV's son Phasael, and they are dated to 5/4 BC, presumably because there is non-coin evidence for the date of his birth. Again, I will corroborate that information when I get home.

And quadrans, thank you for the compliment on my site. Unfortunately I have had very little time to work on it lately. At this point I have a large amount of research prepared concerning Obodas II and his coinage, but have not had time to compile it and upload it to the site. Work and family life have a way of taking over every free minute. But I hope to have it finished and posted by the end of the year.

Peace and blessings, John.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2016, 09:58:25 am »
Hello friends. If any of you are attending NYINC this weekend, I will presenting "An Overview of Nabataean Coinage" at the annual meeting of the Oriental Numismatic Society. Saturday, January 9, at 5 PM, in the Lexington Suite.

The other presenters include John Deyell: "Reconsidering the so-called "Kashmir" and "Karkota" electrum dinaras," and Alexsandr Naymark: "Sogdian Mints in the 7th and 8th centuries."

Please come if you're there, and happy new year to all!

mlkrt

Re: Aretas IV
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2016, 06:34:33 pm »
Here's a small collection of Aretas IV coins. The silver drachms feature his first wife Huldu (In modern Hebrew it means "a rat" - not the most attractive of names; It may have meant in Nabataean "weasel" or "mole" - still not exactly charming).
The bronze features his second wife Shaqilath (Shuqilath).

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2016, 05:19:39 am »
Interesting and nice collection.. +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2016, 08:06:52 am »
Let's caller "Mink"--maybe not accurate but more appropriate for a queen.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2016, 01:02:19 pm »
Very nice set indeed, mlkrt! Here is my Year 1 drachm of Aretas IV and Huldu.

I've been on the hunt for a drachm of Aretas IV/Shaqilat, but I'm quite particular about wanting the date to be present on the flan. So far I've come across coins in acceptable grades with no dates, or coins with dates in unacceptable grades.

mlkrt

« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2016, 07:11:57 pm »
quadrans, djmacdo, John Anthony - thank you for your comments. I like the dated coin! This little series forms my entire Nabataean collection at this stage.
It's interesting that Huldu looks more attractive than Shaqilat. I don't know if the incompetent die engraver is to blame, or perhaps Aretas broke with the established pattern of taking a trophy wife later in life.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2016, 07:00:44 pm »
quadrans, djmacdo, John Anthony - thank you for your comments. I like the dated coin! This little series forms my entire Nabataean collection at this stage.
It's interesting that Huldu looks more attractive than Shaqilat. I don't know if the incompetent die engraver is to blame, or perhaps Aretas broke with the established pattern of taking a trophy wife later in life.

I'm not sure we can draw any conclusions from the coins about the attractiveness of Shaqilat or later queens. The drachms of Aretas IV/Huldu evince a delicate classical style that made both the king and queen look quite comely. Over the First Century, the busts gradually morphed into rather primitive renderings. By the time of Rabbel II, they were quite crude, although I hate the word "crude" as it implies an aesthetic judgment. Even the last of Nabataean drachms have a certain inimitable Eastern charm...

mlkrt

« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2016, 12:47:33 am »
The style does look like Barbaric Imitation - which I think has its own charm.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2016, 10:29:26 pm »
I love the early Nabataean overstrikes on Ptolemaic AEs and rarely on Seleucid Aes.  I particularly like those where the specific Ptolemaic variety is visible, usually Ptolemy I or II, occasionally III.  And most of the Ptolemaic host coins, where enough is visible to be certain, appear to have little or no wear.  I think the date of these early Nabataean issues is subject to debate, perhaps earlier than generally thought.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2016, 09:25:26 am »
I love the early Nabataean overstrikes on Ptolemaic AEs and rarely on Seleucid Aes.  I particularly like those where the specific Ptolemaic variety is visible, usually Ptolemy I or II, occasionally III.  And most of the Ptolemaic host coins, where enough is visible to be certain, appear to have little or no wear.  I think the date of these early Nabataean issues is subject to debate, perhaps earlier than generally thought.

Yes. In fact, Hoover and Barkay suggest the mid-third century BC as a terminus post quem for the overstrikes. See my page for more information...

http://www.nabataeannumismatics.com/protoptolemy.html

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2016, 09:48:01 am »
Your site looks great John!

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2016, 10:07:52 am »
Your site looks great John!

Thanks Nick! I have a pile of new research to upload - just looking for some time!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2016, 11:15:15 am »
 I know what you mean!

Nero 30

« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2016, 01:31:44 pm »
Just wanted to share this beautiful one with you guys it is 19mm wide flan.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2016, 10:01:10 am »
A lovely coin!

Nero 30

« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2016, 04:06:04 am »
Thanks a lot djmacdo for your kind words.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2017, 09:08:39 am »
2 enigmatic x on Nabatean coin

Dear friends of Nabatean coinage!

Recently I acquired the following coin:

Nabataean kingdom, Aretas IV. & Shuqailat, 9 BC - AD 40
AE 17, 3.53g
Petra, AD 39-40
obv. Jugate busts of Aretas IV, draped and laureate, r., and of Shuqailat, draped and diademed, r.
Above Nabatean legend:
x שלמ
from r. to l. transcribed (Sh)LM as monogram (Meshorer p. 85, #9), behind x
rev. Crossed cornucopias, in between Nabatean legend in 3 lines:
חרתת / שקי / לת
from r. to l. (transcribed):
HRTT / SQY / LT
= Harithat / Shuqailat
below שקי x
ref. cf. Meshorer Nabatean 113

According to Meshorer שלמ (= whole) is a denomination, which then was ommitted because this denomination has well been established. My problem are the 2 x. Anyone who does know the meaning? As numeral it means 4. Meshorer doesn't mention them but I found them too on a coin of gordian_guy
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=96402.0

My suggestion: Possibly a reference to an important event?

Any opinion highly appreciated!

Best regards
Jochen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity