Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nabataean Numismatics  (Read 37208 times)

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
Nabataean Numismatics
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:15:02 pm »
Greetings from a newcomer to the forum. First off, I am not the John Anthony that wrote Collecting Greek Coins. We just happen to share two very common names. Anthony is my middle name anyway.

I’d like to proffer a thread discussing Nabataean numismatics - no doubt a path less-traveled, but one that interests me tremendously. Although I’m starting with the earliest coins minted by the civilization, I have no intention of maintaining a chronological order. As I acquire new pieces, I will simply add them to the thread, regardless of their dates. As this isn’t a scholarly paper, I only cite sources in a general way. If anyone would like exact citations, I would be happy to provide them.

In 1936, E. S. G Robinson offered the suggestion that certain quasi-barbarous small bronzes, imitative of Alexandrian staters, could be attributed to the Nabataeans (NC XVI). Ya’akov Meshorer supported this idea, noting that these coins are always found in a Nabataean context. He cites, in particular, the Kadman hoard of 1967, in which a considerable number of the types were discovered in a group of 800 coins of various Nabataean rulers. (Qedem 3, 1975). Today they are usually considered issues of Aretas II (r. 120/110 - 96 BC), but the assignation of the pieces to specific rulers is problematic. They may have been produced until 64 BCE, the end of the reign of Aretas III, and one example suggests they may have been minted under the authority of Aretas IV (9 BCE - AD 40). That they are often found in very poor condition, among hoards of coins belonging to later kings, suggests that they circulated throughout the entire span of Nabataean history.

I've discerned at least three distinct engraving styles in this type. The coins attached below represent Style I, the closest approximation to the Alexandrian staters after which they are modeled. Athena wears a traditional Corinthian helmet, her hair and crest feathers represented by dotted lines. Nike holds a laurel wreath, her wings also drawn with dotted lines.

These are well-crafted pieces, undoubtedly made by experienced artisans. Damascus had a long history of minting for the Seleucids, and the workshops were no doubt well-equipped with the necessary technology and expertise to make a handsome coin. These issues are typically struck on tight flans.

1. Nabataea, Early Kings: Aretas II, Obodas I, Rabbel I, Aretas III.
AE16, 3.2g, 12h; Damascus mint, 135/4 - 64 BC (?)
Obv.: ‬Head of Athena right, ‬wearing crested Corinthian helmet.
Rev.: ‬Nike standing left, ‬wreath in right hand, ‬uncertain object in left.
References: ‬Meshorer ‬1A, ‬Schmitt-Korte 2

2. Nabataea, Early Kings: Aretas II, Obodas I, Rabbel I, Aretas III.
AE16, 3.1g, 12h; Damascus mint, 135/4 - 64 BC (?)
Obv.: ‬Head of Athena right, ‬wearing crested Corinthian helmet.
Rev.: ‬Nike standing left, ‬wreath in right hand, ‬uncertain object in left.
References: ‬Meshorer 1 or ‬1A, ‬Schmitt-Korte 1 or 2

Offline TIF

• Consul
Re: Nabataean Numismatics
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 04:00:45 pm »
Hi John :)

I look forward to following this thread and learning more about Nabateans.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 04:24:13 pm »
Hi John :)

I look forward to following this thread and learning more about Nabateans.

Thanks TIF. I knew I'd find a few friends here.

Ugh - is there no editing capability on this forum? You've got to get it right the first time?

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 05:03:56 pm »
You can edit, but certain capabilities only open up after a few posts.  Perhaps editing is one of them.

You should start a gallery here on forvm.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 05:16:34 pm »
You can edit, but certain capabilities only open up after a few posts.  Perhaps editing is one of them.

You should start a gallery here on forvm.

Thank you! I will do that.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:36:19 am »
Although the design of these early Nabataean coins indicates a general connection to the staters of Alexander III, Robinson suggested that some examples were inspired by certain issues of Alexander Balas (Coin 1). The Nabataeans would certainly have been familiar with Seleucid coinage minted in Antioch - likely they used much of it in trade. The parallels between the coin of Balas and the Style II Nabataeans are easy to draw.

Whereas in Style I an attempt is made to faithfully reproduce Athena in a Corinthian helmet, in Style II the helmet is seemingly Boeotian (or at least a misinterpretation of the Corinthian helmet), and the facial features of the bust assume masculine qualities. Perhaps these represent the first images of a Nabataean king on a coin, perhaps they reflect a change in engraving aestehtics. But one thing seems certain: we are no longer necessarily viewing a bust of Athena (Coin 2).

It might be argued that the differences between Style I and Style II coins merely reflect the various skill levels of the engravers, but enough of the masculine Style II coins exist to indicate a deliberate attempt to portray a helmeted king. In fact, the majority of these types that I’ve examined are of this style.

Some of these Style II coins are well-crafted, but many are poorly executed, exhibiting weak, off-center strikes on underweight, irregular, and untrimmed flans (Coins 3 and 4). The sloppy character of these issues, along with their ubiquity in the series, suggests they were hastily produced  in considerable quantities to meet an economic imperative. That imperative may have included meeting soldiers’ salaries during Aretas II and Obodas I's wars against the Hasmonean king Alexander Jannaeus.

On some of these coins, one finds the inscription  :crescent: /  :Greek_Lambda: under the wreath in Nike's right hand on the reverse. This is thought to be the monogram of Aretas II or Aretas III. If so, it may seem spurious to include the possibility that the coins were struck under the reigns of Obodas I or Rabbel I, but neither do we know for certain they weren't. Did Obodas and Rabbel allow the minting of the coins with their father's monogram? Should we assign the coins without monogram to Obodas and Rabbel? If so, why didn't they put their own monograms on their coins? Or was Aretas III the first to use such monograms? Such is the guessing game when it comes to anonymous issues.

1. Seleucid Kingdom, Alexander I Balas, 150-146 BC
AE18, Antioch
Obv.: Helmeted head of Alexander right.
Rev.: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΧΑΝΔΡΟΥ; Nike standing left, holding wreath and palm, AB monogram in right field.
Reference: SNG Israel (Spaer) 1472ff

2. Nabataea, Early Kings: Aretas II, Obodas I, Rabbel I, Aretas III
AE 15, 2.9g, 12h; Damascus Mint, 135/4 - 64 BC (?)
Obv.: Unknown head right, wearing crested Boeotian (?) helmet
Rev.: ‬Nike standing left, ‬wreath in right hand, ‬uncertain object in left /  :crescent:  /   :Greek_Lambda:
Reference: ‬Meshorer ‬1, ‬Schmitt-Korte 1

3. Nabataea, Early Kings: Aretas II, Obodas I, Rabbel I, Aretas III
AE 15, 2.5g, 11h; Damascus Mint, 135/4 - 64 BC (?)
Obv.: Unknown head right, wearing crested Boeotian helmet.
Rev.: ‬Nike standing left, ‬wreath in right hand, ‬uncertain object in left /  :crescent:  /   :Greek_Lambda:
Reference: ‬Meshorer ‬1, ‬Schmitt-Korte 1

4. Nabataea: Aretas II, Obodas I, Rabbel I, or Aretas III
AE 14, 2g, 11h; Damascus Mint, 135/4 - 64 BCE (?)
Obv.: Unknown head right, wearing crested Boeotian helmet.
References: ‬Meshorer ‬1, ‬Schmitt-Korte 1

Offline Equity

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 08:16:47 pm »
Hello,

I too am fascinated by the artefacts left behind by this rather obscure civilisation (hope to make it to Petra someday!).

I recently acquired my only silver example (possibly debased, judging by the tone alone, weighs 3.77g), from a much later period than your coins. Minted by Aretas IV I believe, though I'm not certain exactly when during his rather long reign (9 BC - 40 AD, a very interesting and eventful period!) under the sufferance of Augustus and Tiberius. Have these been dated more precisely? A reign year (in the Greek style, or perhaps Pompeiian era dating?) is apparently visible on some examples, though I cannot identify one. I don't own Meshorer's catalogue, and I'm not even certain if the inscription is in Hebrew, Aramaic or something else. I did find a note on CNG stating "Karl Schmitt-Korte, discussing another drachm with jugate heads of the queen and king on the obverse (p. 120, 70), notes that year 26 is the earliest known year for Shaqilat.". Is the style on these also derivative I wonder? There are certainly several Roman Republican, Greek (Seleucid and Ptolemaic) examples with jugate busts of the dioskouroi and rulers that come to mind.

Regards,
Derek
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 09:14:30 pm »
Hi Derek. You have an exceptionally nice example, as far as Nabataean drachms go. It is indeed from the reign of Aretas IV, minted sometime between the 29th and 34th years of his reign (20/21-25/26 CE). The legends are in Nabataean, a distinct branch of Aramaic, and they are read counterclockwise.

The legend on the obverse translates, "Aretas, king of the Nabataeans, lover of his people". The legend on the reverse is "Shuqailat, queen of the Nabataeans, year xx". Unfortunately, it seems the end of that legend is clipped on your coin, and it may not be possible to narrow the date further.

There was a gradual debasement of these coins over the series, and they range from 70% silver to as low as 40%.

All Nabataean designs are derivative, mostly of Seleucid issues, but they do possess certain distinctive qualities.

I'll be able to give you a detailed attribution next week. This is an off-the-cuff response as I'm on the road and away from my library.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 03:00:03 pm »
Derek, I’ve had a chance to look up this coin, so I offer a more substantial attribution. I can't discern the date. Unfortunately, too much of the lettering is missing. If I come to a different conclusion after further study, I’ll let you know. At any rate, the coin falls within the family of Meshorer 99-111.

Obverse: Laureate bust of Aretas IV right, with curly hair descending to nape of neck, draped; around, inscription חרתת מלך נבטו רחם עמה (Aretas, king of the Nabataeans, lover of his people)

Reverse: Jugate busts right of Aretas IV, undraped, laureate, with hair hanging down to nape of neck, and of Shuqailat, draped; around, inscription ? שקילת מלכת נבטו שנת (Shuqailat, queen of the Nabataeans. Year ?)

Reference: Meshorer cf. 99-111 (The coins in this range do not differ in type, only in year.)

As far as the silver content goes, both Meshorer and Schmitt-Korte studied the composition of Nabataean drachms extensively, and discovered a gradual debasement from the beginning of the coinage to the end. By the time we reach the drachms of Rabbel II, the silver in the coins had been reduced to 20%. The fineness of your coin is probably somewhere around .400, judging from analyses done on similar examples, so it would be more accurate to call it a billon drachm.

During a time when many rulers in the Levant were expressing their allegiance to Rome, the fact that Aretas IV called himself “lover of his people”, instead of “lover of Rome” is not without meaning.

Offline TIF

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 05:26:51 am »
Hey John--

Here's a list of Nabatean coin articles you might want to track down  :)

http://www.vincentwest.org.uk/nabatea/bibatoz.htm

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 08:53:17 am »
Hey John--

Here's a list of Nabatean coin articles you might want to track down  :)

http://www.vincentwest.org.uk/nabatea/bibatoz.htm

TIF, I'm glad you posted that bibliography - it's one of the first lists I came across when I started investigating Nabataean coins. "Track down" would be the operative words here - some of those sources are easy to find, others not so much. But this does give me the opportunity to discuss the available material.

For anyone wanting to study Nabataean numismatics, Ya'akov Meshorer's Nabataean Coins is an indispensable resource. Unfortunately, the book is rather rare. I searched for a copy for quite some time. Finally, Fred Lake offered one in his mail bid auctions. I put in an exceedingly high bid for such a small tome, but I absolutely HAD to have it. It was published in 1975, and I wonder if it's considered to be in the public domain at this point, because I wouldn't mind digitizing it for others to enjoy.

The second most important resource is Karl Schmitt-Korte's article Nabataean Coinage II, found in the Numismatic Chronicle, Volume 150, 1990. Back issues of NC are not difficult to find at reasonable prices. This article is a lengthy and thorough addendum to Meshorer.

However, for new collectors wanting to investigate Nabataean coins, I would recommend Jerzy Ciecieląg’s Coins of Aretas IV, King of the Nabataeans. Ciecieląg synthesizes material from several contemporary studies, but his paper is essentially a paraphrase of Meshorer's chapter on Aretas IV's coinage. This is particularly valuable, since most Nabataean coinage was minted by this one ruler, not to mention that the author offers his paper as a free download at the Kraków Museum site...

http://www.muzeum.krakow.pl/fileadmin/Notae/Tom_III_i_IV/J.%20Cieciel%C4%85g%20Coins%20of%20Aretas%20IV%20King%20of%20Nabataeans%20%289%20BC-AD%2040%29.pdf

Two other notable authors in the field have offered their papers as free downloads on academia.edu. Those are Rachel Barkay, and Oliver Hoover. You don't need to be affiliated with an institution of higher learning to join the site.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 11:04:52 am »
Returning to the early Athena/Nike issues, there is a third engraving style that exhibits a wholly barbarous quality. Nike is one step away from a stick figure, and there is no longer any attempt to portray Athena in the Greek style. In fact, the busts on these coins often present ethnically Arabian features, and it’s tempting to suggest they are an endeavor to portray a Nabataean king.

It’s impossible to imagine these barbarous issues as a Damascene emission. There is no reason to believe minting at Damascus had deteriorated to such an extent at this time. It's very possible that these coins represent the first minting efforts at Petra, which was quickly becoming the seat of the Nabataean kingdom. Hopefully, further excavation at the site will shed more light on these enigmatic pieces.

I’ve referenced my examples as Meshorer 3 and Schmitt-Korte 4. Both exhibit an extremely careless style, and in contrast to Style II, they can no longer be said to represent Athena in any way whatsoever. (Schmitt-Korte 4 is a particularly striking example of an Arabian bust on a Nabataean coin of this type.) Hoover and Barkay assign one such coin with an Arabian bust firmly to Aretas III (Important Additions to the Corpus of Nabataean Coins Since 1990, CCK, p.199, Coin 12). The portrait on this coin does indeed bear a resemblance to the Damascene issues of the same king. But these barbarous coins present a considerable degree of variance, and any resemblance to known portraits may be a coincidence.

1. Nabataea, Early Kings: Aretas II, Obodas I, Rabbel I, Aretas III
AE 15, 2.3g, 12h; Unknown mint, 1st-century BC
Obv.: Unknown head right, helmeted, crested.
Rev.: Nike standing left, holding wreath in right hand, unknown object in left.
Reference: c.f. Meshorer 3, Schmitt-Korte 4 (barbarous style)

2. Nabataea, Early Kings: Aretas II, Obodas I, Rabbel I, Aretas III
AE 17, 3.65g, 12h; Unknown mint, 1st-century BC
Obv.: Unknown head right, helmeted, crested.
Rev.: Nike standing left, holding wreath in right hand, unknown object in left.
Reference: c.f. Meshorer 3, Schmitt-Korte 4 (barbarous style)

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 06:56:57 pm »
Dating this early series is problematic. Meshorer assigned the Athena/Nike types collectively to Aretas II, Obodas I, Rabbel I, and Aretas III, spanning a period from c. 110 to 71 BCE. Karl Schmitt-Korte argued that the coins were first minted by Aretas III and may have continued through the reign of Aretas IV, but admits that further evidence would be required to confirm the theory. (Further evidence, however, suggests otherwise.)

As a footnote: On epigraphic grounds, G. W. Bowersock places Rabbel I as the successor of Aretas I, somewhat earlier in the second century BCE. (A Report on Arabia Provincia, The Journal of Roman Studies Vol. 61, p. 222-3). Meshorer et al place him between Obodas I and Aretas III. Archeological evidence is firm on the dates of Obodas I and Aretas III's reigns, so if Rabbel I did rule between them, it would have been less than a year. Unfortunately, the Nabataeans left us barely any written records. We have only archeological evidence and inscriptions from coins and monuments by which to piece together their history.

According to Meshorer, the larger, more beautiful coins of Style I belong to Aretas II, which suggests the sloppier coins of Style II may have been minted by Obodas I or a later king. But both Aretas II and Obodas I were engaged in warfare against Alexander Jannaeus, and if these careless coins of Style II represent emergency military pay, they could have been minted under the authority of either king.

Many of these issues present an inscription on the reverse, consisting of the the symbols  :crescent: /  :Greek_Lambda: (see my examples in post 6). Meshorer considered these symbols the monogram of Aretas II or Aretas III. SK supported this idea by pointing out that certain coins of Aretas III display his monogram as either   :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Rho: or  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Rho:, meaning that  :Greek_Lambda: and  :Greek_Alpha: were interchangeable, and therefore the  :Greek_Lambda: on the earlier issues is in fact the Greek letter alpha, standing for Aretas.

I would add to the argument that this particular reverse design on Seleucid coins is usually interpreted as Nike crowning the king’s name with a laurel wreath. If we apply that interpretation to the Nabataean coins, it adds further credence to the notion that the inscription  :crescent: /  :Greek_Lambda: is the monogram of Aretas. The question is: which Aretas?

Schmitt-Korte rejected Meshorer’s suggestion that these coins were minted under the authority of Aretas II, Rabbel I, and Obodas I. He theorized that all the Nike/Athena coins began with Aretas III and continued through at least the early reign of Aretas IV, based on the idea that the inscriptions  :crescent: /  :Greek_Lambda: and  :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Rho: are related to the same king. This may seem like a tenuous connection, but Meshorer’s own catalog adds some supporting evidence, however oblique.

In Meshorer’s catalog, plate coin 4 shows the Nabataean letter heth in place of  :Greek_Lambda:. Does this letter date examples of coin 4, or the entire series to a later king? Heth was used extensively on the bronze coinage of Aretas IV, as his monogram. Is it possible that some of these coins were minted by Aretas IV? Or does the letter merely represent an engraving variation from an earlier period? These are questions that will probably never be answered to anyone’s satisfaction.

Recent discoveries at Tel Beer-Sheva have confirmed Meshorer's attribution of these coins to earlier rulers. Based on archeological evidence, Alla Kushnir-Stein and Haim Gitler have suggested  the period 135/4-104 BCE as a terminus post quem for the series (Numismatic evidence from Tel Beer-Sheva and the beginning of Nabataean coinage, INJ 12, pp. 16-18). This evidence, however, does not negate the possibility that the coins continued to be minted into the reign of Aretas IV.

Another aspect of the dating conundrum concerns the now contradicted inclusion of several lead tesserae in Meshorer’s and Schmitt-Korte’s bronze typologies. To what extent are the similar Bust/Nike tesserae related, if at all, to the bronze coins? But that's a discussion for another post.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 06:20:34 pm »
Another aspect of Nabataean history on coins; Aretas III submitting to the Romans. Ex-Forvm, struck in 58 BC by Marcus Aemilius Scaurus and Publius Plautius Hypsaeus.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 08:05:02 pm »
This is my only coin...not too sure about attribution.

NABATAEA. Aretas IV. 9 BC-AD 40. Æ Quadrans. Petra mint. Dated RY 6 (4/3 BC). Laureate head right; Aramaic het-samekh flanking / Female figure (Huldu?) standing left, raising hand; date in legend. Meshorer, Nabataea 66.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 07:38:42 am »
Another aspect of Nabataean history on coins; Aretas III submitting to the Romans. Ex-Forvm, struck in 58 BC by Marcus Aemilius Scaurus and Publius Plautius Hypsaeus.

I haven't collected one of these denarii yet, but it's certainly on my to-do list. It's a testament to the power of propaganda on coinage that whenever this piece is described in catalogs, it is said to commemorate Scaurus' victory over Aretas III. More than two millennia later, that story is still being repeated just because the coin says so!

What really happened? We know that Scaurus was an incorrigible extortionist. Aristobulus accused him of extorting 1000 talents, he took Aretas' bribe in the incident commemorated on the coin, he was accused of extortion in Sardinia but acquitted despite his guilt (evidently Cicero was as accomplished a defense attorney as philosopher), and finally went into exile after being accused of ambitio (shameless bribery).

The only reason Scaurus went after the Nabataeans in 62 BCE was to plunder them, but it was a dismal failure. Josephus reports that although the Romans sacked the areas around Petra, they could make no headway against the fortress itself, and the army was suffering fatigue and famine. It must have come as a relief to Scaurus when Pompey desired to withdraw from the so-called siege after the murder of Mithridates VI.

Did Aretas know of the imminent Roman withdrawal when he offered the bribe? Was he greasing the wheels for future Roman generals to receive payments to leave the Nabataeans alone? And what of the sum? The Nabataeans were enormously wealthy by this time, owing to the frankincense trade. 300 talents wouldn't have been pocket change of course, but neither would it have set Aretas back all that much. Was it a consolation prize? Did the Nabataeans have a good chuckle over it?

The fact that we can even ask these questions betrays any notion that Aretas III submitted to the Romans. In fact, the Nabataean Kingdom would flourish as an independent nation for the next 169 years, until it was annexed by Trajan as Provincia Arabia in 106 CE.

But go home, make a coin that celebrates your victory over the barbarians (by taking a bribe COUGH COUGH), and people will repeat the story for the next 2000 years!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 09:59:00 am »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 10:17:22 am »
This is my only coin...not too sure about attribution.

NABATAEA. Aretas IV. 9 BC-AD 40. Æ Quadrans. Petra mint. Dated RY 6 (4/3 BC). Laureate head right; Aramaic het-samekh flanking / Female figure (Huldu?) standing left, raising hand; date in legend. Meshorer, Nabataea 66.

A very nice example of the type. This coin is frequently attributed incorrectly as Me 66. Meshorer catalogs about a dozen different varieties of the type, but he only includes one image in his plates, number 66. So dealers look at that image and attribute any and all varieties as such, without looking further into the inscriptions and dates. I can't say I blame them - the Nabataean alphabet can be quite a cipher to the uninitiated.

This variety is actually Me 58 - both the obverse and reverse fields exhibit the letter heth, and the symbol  :o:. Heth is Aretas' initial, his name being spelled HRTT in Nabataean. The meaning of  :o: is unclear, as there is no such letter in the Nabataean alphabet. The inscription is read counterclockwise from 11, and the last two symbols are the date. X means 4, and the little titch before it adds 1, dating the coin to year 5, or 5/4 BCE.

I'm not on board with calling it a quadrans, however. We simply don't know what the Nabataeans called this particular coin, and I prefer using the convention of stating the abbreviated metal type and diameter.

Here is the complete description of the coin from Meshorer's catalog...

Obv.: Laureate head of Aretas IV right; in field ח  , :o:

Rev.: Woman (Huldu?) standing left, wearing long dress with girdle, raising right hand; around, inscription (Aretas, King of the Nabataeans, Year 5); in field,  :o:, ח

I don't believe there's any question that the woman on the reverse is Huldu. During the reign of Aretas IV, the Nabataeans firmly established the paradigm of depicting both the king and queen on their coinage. And she certainly doesn't resemble any Greek deities, like the Nike on earlier coins.  

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 10:24:05 am »
Here is a page you might like... https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=976

Thanks Joe! You can bet a number of those pieces are on my wish list - as soon as the budget allows.  :)

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 04:27:03 pm »
Thank you very much for the additional info!

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 05:08:52 pm »
Thank you very much for the additional info!

No problem, friend. Anyone else that has Nabataeans to post, please do so. I have all the sources to attribute them, and I could use the practice.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 01:44:35 pm »
I’m revisiting the coin that Derek posted earlier, with the intention of dissecting the inscriptions. After considerable poring over my references, I’ve decided that I have no clue as to what the date on this coin is, and I’ve amended my earlier assessment in Reply 5.

Meshorer observes that the inscriptions on the coins of Aretas IV constitute an intermediate epigraphic stage, the letters presenting a great deal of variance over the span of his rule. The attached image represents my own study of this coin and the alphabet, but I hope others find it useful. I’ve traced the inscriptions from the coin, and compared them to two transliterations: a proposed unicode version of Nabataean, and modern Hebrew. I’ve also added the letter names and English translations, and reconstructed parts of the legends.

Although the Nabataean alphabet eventually evolved into Arabic, the Arabic alphabet diverged considerably from its roots.  Written Nabataean’s closest modern cousin is in fact the Hebrew square script, both alphabets being of Imperial Aramaic descent. Meshorer and Schmitt-Korte transliterate Nabataean inscriptions to Hebrew. If a unicode version of Nabataean does become available, however, it would of course supercede other options for use in scholarly literature.

As to the question of dating this coin, I have to confess I’m stumped. Although Meshorer meticulously charts the changes in the alphabet from the time of Malichus I to Rabbel II (Nabataean Coins, p. 83), it’s a curious and glaring omission that he makes no mention of numbers whatsoever. Karl Schmitt-Korte published a table of numbers, which you can find at Numiswiki here...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Nabataean%20Numerals%20and%20Number%20Words

Was there as much variance in the writing of numbers as there was in letters? If so, does S-K take that variance into account in his table? It would seem he does, since some of the numbers have different versions, but which versions belong to the coinage of which rulers? Those questions, along with the fact that the legend on this coin is partially off-flan, have stymied my attempts to date it. If anyone wants to give it an educated guess, let me know what you  think!

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 06:21:23 pm »
What's the evidence that Hebrew descends from Aramaic? I always thought that it derived from Canaanite, while Aramaic was a closely related member of the Northwestern Semitic family of languages which emerged around ancient Aram (Syria).
Robert Brenchley

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 09:11:45 pm »
What's the evidence that Hebrew descends from Aramaic? I always thought that it derived from Canaanite, while Aramaic was a closely related member of the Northwestern Semitic family of languages which emerged around ancient Aram (Syria).

Quite right, Robert. I should have made myself more clear. I was referring only to the Hebrew script as a descendent of the Imperial Aramaic alphabet. The spoken language is as you've described. I've made the correction in my post. Thank you for the clarification.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 05:38:30 pm »
The square script is Aramic, you're quite right there.
Robert Brenchley

All coins are guaranteed for eternity