Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Residue inside on coin flips  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Residue inside on coin flips
« on: August 29, 2013, 10:46:33 pm »
Please help ! lately I found  , that in some of my coin flips have some kind residue inside . Bd or dirty hands . Flips I believe is PVC free .

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Re: Residue inside on coin flips
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:22:25 pm »
Pictures of the coins would be better.

Nemo

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:48:36 am »
I agree. What coins are they, what has been done to them? Are they waxed or treated with something, by you or the previous owner? What typically happens with bronze coins in non PVC-free flips is that they get a sticky green coating that must be removed with acetone. This looks like something else.
Andreas Reich

Offline Sap

• Consul
  • It's already tomorrow in Australia.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 06:55:48 am »
The flips might indeed be "PVC free", but they are nevertheless reacting with the metal in the coin to produce this residue. Cease using these flips immediately.
I'll have to learn Latin someday.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 06:25:12 pm »
I don't keep coins in flips because so many I get have a residue like this.  If the flips are PVC free, the coins have something on them from part trauma (cleaning, olive oil, Ren-waxing, ???) that I would prefer be allowed to dissipate in an open tray or a paper envelope.   Many coins need to breath. 

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 07:24:47 pm »
Thank you all for your responses . I recheck all my coins and  it seems that this problem only with  BCW  coin flips , that I bought in local coin shop . The coins , looks to be in the same condition , as a few years ago .
Best regards ,
Vlad .

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 09:39:46 pm »
Here is the same picture lightened up a bit.  The coins appear to be free of BD.  The reverse of the largest coin has a couple of small dots you might want to check.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 12:10:08 pm »
I have never heard of BCW flips. Personally, I would not use any flips that had the initials BCW emblazoned on them (unless MY initials happened to be BCW). You should try PVC free Safelips. If the problem continues then it is likely something on the coins themselves rather than the flips. However, the residue on your flip resembles residue that found on some very old (PVC) flips that held bronze coins of mine for 30 years. The coins had a slightly "tacky" feeling to their surfaces after removing them from these old PVC flips. Of course, if your coins had been waxed or oiled, they might feel tacky anyway.

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 01:40:00 pm »
Did little research on BCWsupplies.com  and found that this flips unsafe for long-term coin storage (thank you local coin shop ) , because they consist of PVC (polyvinylchloride, also known as vinyl), stabilizers (to prolong life), and plasticizers (to soften the plastic). Last night I replaced  all of them .

And again , thank you all for your responses .

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 06:30:42 pm »
I'm glad you figured out the problem. Just be certain that you replace them with non-PVC flips. It's easy to tell PVC from non-PVC flips. The safe (non-PVC) flips are very stiff and firm - they feel like they might crack when you fold them (in fact, they DO crack as they get older). The unsafe (PVC) flips are more malleable and easy to fold.  Most flips that dealers use when they sell and transport coins are the unsafe (PVC) variety.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity