Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My photo's have to much detail. (Final photo's )  (Read 5862 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: My photo's have to much detail. (Final photo's )
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 12:21:35 am »

After you do this, turn off any nearby household lights....and pull the shades.
PeteB

It is amazing how little light of a wrong color can destroy a photo just by putting a blue streak on one edge.

+1

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 04:56:04 am »
There is no single lighting technique that works best for every coin.  I keep telling myself I should destroy all my coin photo pages because they only show coins that worked well for the lighting I was using that day.   I seem to try something new every time I shoot coins with results varying from better to horrific.  That is part of the fun.
+++
The different factor each time is the coin.

Irrespective of whether you are doing bulk photography (me, some coin dealers) or are seeking individually great results (doug), nothing seems to work better than inconsistency.

For when I do use lighting, I use a Lumie day-light effect LED desklamp with an array of 96 LEDs that are big enough to photograph a complete coin tray consistently - this is how I get my red-Abafil trays photographed: http://andrewmccabe.ancients.info/RRC028.html
The lamp is about 0.5 metres above the coin, offset at a slight angle so the light falls best on the foreheads, and with a white cotton cover (pillowcase etc.) to diffuse the light. Still, even for these I need to adjust each coin individually afterwards; sometimes the bronzes need more light contrast and the silver may be too bright, so I snap photos at the extreme range of brightness of the lamp and then merge the pictures. I've had good success for a long time with LED arrays; when I photographed Phil Davis' coins these were all done with a 3x8 24 light LED array in an otherwise dark room, and many of the coins look lovely, although that's more likely caused by the quality of Phil's selection than the quality of my lighting:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157631141584632/detail/

For when I don't use lighting, I've a north-facing balcony that gets no direct sunlight. I seek bright but cloudy days and I place the coins on a grey card on a table, and rotate the whole coin-camera setup a few times to vary the angle. It generally produces very good results, but of course if I'm photographing all day, the light changes imperceptibly in intensity and direction. The rotating trick is key: put the coins and camera tripod on a rotatable surface e.g. a on a large book or tray with a glossy under-surface, shift it round a few degrees between consecutive shots, and then just select the best obv and rev when screening your pics.

However, some stubborn coins, especially camoflauge pattern bronzes, hard-green patina bronzes, and reflective silver, and surface-corroded silver (i.e. as YOUR coin) almost never look good. Sometimes one needs to catch these coins by surprise in a dark corner: the worst possible lighting conditions sometimes provide surprisingly good results.

I guess my overall recommendation is to mess about a lot. Success factors for me include: cloudy days, north-facing, LED light arrays, rotating between shots and selecting the best before editing, take camouflaged, corroded, dark or light coins by surprise (experiment!), and if it doesn't work on one day, try another day with a different setting.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 06:32:38 am »
Brian,
You did the right thing by isolating your lighting from any ambient light. It is not neccessary to use daylight lamps. Just make sure the white balance on your camera is calibrated for the lamps you are using. There is then no need to adjust the colour in 'post-production' which can be difficult to get right after the event.

I also think that your pictures are a bit dark. Your EOS software allows you to click the exposure up or down a fraction of a stop at a time so that you can see the result on screen. Take shots at several different settings. See which is the best. In general, the smaller the aperture (the higher the f number) the better depth of field is. This requires a lower shutter speed. This is not a problem as the camera is on a stand and remotely controlled so there will be no movement.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 09:53:18 am »
It is not necessary to use daylight lamps. Just make sure the white balance on your camera is calibrated for the lamps you are using.

While I agree in principle, cameras have a limitation in color balance and the weak place for many is in the tungsten area so it is often better to try daylight lamps if your camera is one that has this issue.   Most important is to avoid any bulb that does not have a continuous spectrum.  Many of the earliest and cheapest compact fluorescent bulbs had this problem but the more expensive and more recent types work better.  This is also the case with LED bulbs since I have had better results with some than others.  The worst I have used came from local hardware stores where you really need to pay attention to their rated color balances.  While I did pretty well with LED's, I have gone back to the higher grade daylight CFL's mostly because I seem to like the results better even though I can not always explain exactly why.    I believe the biggest part is that they are less directional than the LED's I had and bright enough to bounce and diffuse. 

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 10:15:26 am »
Doug,
That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. Good to get some concrete information.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 06:49:35 pm »
I appreciate all the advice,
It all comes down to proper lighting.
I'm using Reveal 40w, the photo below was taken yesterday.
I can tell you the reddish sandy patina is more pronounced in hand
and there is absolutely no blue on the coin. The reverse had it also, don't know where that came from...the lighting!
I take abt 20 shots of each side at different exposure settings,
I did get shots of the red as it actually is, but the blue stood out more also.
Well no more shots, till I can set up where I have more control of the lighting.

Mentioned above, I have two Reveal 40w,
there in those goose neck lamps, stand and a clip abt a foot and a half tall.
I hope to mount one close to 12:00, with a sheet of paper to diffuse.
Is my lighting acquitted?

Thanks again for all the advice,
Brian

Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 05:56:28 am »
Brian,
That's not bad. I would have set the main lamp at 2 o'clock, rather than 10 o'clock, although it doesn't really matter for this coin. If you have a second light, use it to light up the shadow side of the coin a bit. Or just diffuse the one light or bounce some of it off white paper.

Are you saying you can see blue in the picture? I can't see any blue in the picture, just light green at the edges of the coin as you would expect. Perhaps your monitor or laptop screen needs calibrating.

Colour consists of two things: Hue and Luminance. Dark brown, for example, is red at low lumninance. So if you increase exposure to clarify details of the coin, then luminance increases while the hue stays the same. This has the effect de-saturating colours. That's why colours appear different at different exposures. You just have to go with the best compromise.
Peter, London

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 06:05:43 am »
I guess my blue is your green, around the reverse edges and a blotch left of Antioxoy and on the crown.
Calibrate my monitor?  Is there a web site with calibrating directions?
Going to work, I'll look into this later.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 06:38:28 am »
Brian,
In that case there's nothing to worry about. The green/blue is actually there, even if you don't notice it so much with the naked eye.
Peter, London

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2013, 07:14:04 pm »
I am not fond of the edge glare on one side and the deeper shadow on the other but raising the angle of the light might take away detail on the important parts of the coin so it might be the best answer.  It might help to move the light source farther from the coin so the exposure difference between the near and far was not s great but this is one that just requires moving lights until you see what you like.

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 07:36:36 pm »
Lighting seems to be an art, wish it was a science!
Am I starting with the right bulb, Reveal 40w?

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 07:46:14 pm »
I have never tried that one.  There are so many choices and I have found others that work for me.  That does not mean that this is not perfectly acceptable. 

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 09:04:15 pm »
Am I starting with the right bulb, Reveal 40w?
Not in my opinion....but I'm no expert. I suggested above that you should use a "daylight" bulb. Daylight bulbs are flourescent. Your Reveal 40W is an incandescent bulb. Different light output!
PeteB

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:00 pm »
A daylight, fluorescent. Boy, did I misunderstand something!

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 04:33:19 am »
Lighting is difficult but the most important part of coin photography. It is practically never the camera's fault if photos don't turn out ok.
Andreas Reich

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 05:55:47 am »
Lighting is difficult but the most important part of coin photography. It is practically never the camera's fault if photos don't turn out ok.

Not the camera's fault true, but sometimes, really, I just have to blame the coin. Some coin types are as easily distinguished as an eastern screech owl (pic below), in even perfect light. Sometimes I think of punishing my coins for their lack of visibility, but whenever I have such thoughts, of course I can't then find the coin due to their perfect camouflage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity