Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Round tags for coin cabinet  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
Round tags for coin cabinet
« on: February 04, 2013, 12:42:58 pm »
Hello All,

Does anyone know where I can find round, acid-free tags for my coin cabinet?  I remember a seller having them, but I just looked there and couldn't find them.  

Thanks,
Sosius
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Round tags for coin cabinet
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:39:22 pm »
It was Barry Murphy, maybe he can tell you where he got them.
Andreas Reich

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:59:51 pm »
I used to have them. My kids used to make them but as they got older it wasn't worth the $10 for the effort.

They are easy to make though. Go to Michaels or your local arts and craft store and buy a hole punch. They come in all different sizes. I have ones for 1, 1 -1/2 and 2 inch circles. Then buy acid free card stock. Cut the paper into strips slightly larger than the diameter of the hole, then punch out your own circles. For smaller circle you get about 50 per page, less for bigger circles.

When my 10 year old was doing it, she could do 500 in about 20 minutes.

Barry Murphy

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:17:10 pm »
Thanks, Barry.  Sounds like a plan, and one that will keep the busy for a little while too!

Regards,
Sosius
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 03:12:26 pm »
I’m contemplating using identification ‘rounds’ in my cabinet.  I suppose I have to be conscious of the ink I use; can anyone share some advice regarding pens/ink?

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 09:11:09 pm »
Careful how?  Reacting with the coin?

I never though about that but I don't think an ink once fully dry would cause problems.

I try to do my round tags with a feather quill pen and india ink.  Rather old fashioned and a bit of work but it is kind of fun and the tags look nice and very "old school". 

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 09:39:09 pm »
Thanks Shawn. I don't have the steadiest hand, so my goal when writing is to strive to be legible. I wish I could be artistic, but I don't have it in me ;D

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 11:14:04 am »
Another option is to do them on computer and print them out. 

Barry once mentioned that there is a 1" diameter hole punch available at some of the large US craft stores (Michael's?).

If you played around a bit you could probably figure out how to print small font text in the right size and pattern on your computer printer and then use the large hole punch to pop them out.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 12:12:04 pm »
For different reasons (concern about cabinet wear), I put a piece of non-PVC plastic between my coins and their tags.  I cut-up non-PVC flips for this purpose.  One flip provides 4 such pieces, so the cost is not too great.  This would also protect the coins from any adverse effect of contact with ink, if such protection were warranted.

Offline S3VERVS

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 03:22:22 pm »
You can find round acid free coin tickets for example in Prinz Publications UK Ltd or Token publishing. I use Micron Pigma pencils: they are archival ink and pencils are good quality.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity