Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting dies from the Augustan Julio Claudian Period!  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
Interesting dies from the Augustan Julio Claudian Period!
« on: December 24, 2012, 03:48:53 am »
Interesting dies from the Augustan  Julio Claudian Period!  The last die photo #5 was sent to me so long ago and is suppose to be from the 1863 Paray-le-Monial find of seven Roman Imperial dies, and is now at the Musee des Antiquites Nationales (at Saint-Germain-en-Laye).

PHOTO 1

Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. Iron dies for Æ Dupondius or As.

Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. Iron dies for Æ Dupondius or As. Dimensions of obverse die: die face 31 mm in diameter and die shank 37 mm. Weight: 148.40 grams. Bronze face of cast impression of reverse of dupondius (RIC I 381) or as (RIC I 382) for the moneyer Cn. Piso Cn. f. mounted to iron shank. Dimensions of reverse die: die face 30 mm in diameter; die shank 39 mm at the face, tapering to 30 mm in diameter at mid point and widening to 42 mm at the base. Weight: 320.20 grams. Bronze face of cast impression of reverse of dupondius (RIC I 381) or as (RIC I 382) for the moneyer Cn. Piso Cn. f. mounted to iron shank. Cf. N. Lupu, “Aspekte des Münzumlaufs im vorrömischen Dakien,” JNG XVII (1967), pl. 7; cf. C.C. Vermeule, “Some notes on ancient dies and coining methods,” NumCirc LXII.2 (February 1954), pp. 53-4; cf. W. Malkmus, “Addenda to Vermeule’s catalog of ancient coin dies: Part 1,” SAN XVII.4 (September 1989) -.

Based on the dies themselves, it is impossible to tell whether they were used to strike dupondii or asses, since both issues of this moneyer were of the same type. This remarkable set of dies was undoubtedly employed to strike local coinage in one of the Balkan provinces along the Danube frontier.

PHOTO 2

Augustan Coin Die with Gaius and Lucius Caesar Reverse

See J.B. Giard 82

PHOTOS 3-4

Tiberius (AD 14-37). Denarius reverse die from the Lugdunum mint. Case-hardened bronze, with a silver denarius of Tiberius ("Tribute Penny" type) stuck in place, obverse showing. Overall dimensions: diameter: 31.5 mm, height 37 mm, weight 161.16 grams. In custom wood and glass presentation case.

From the Rubicon Collection. Ex Stack's Saint Ludovico Collection sale, 22 April 2009, originally from a European collection in Poule-les-Echarmaux, France.

While a number of forger's dies have survived from Roman times, only a handful of "official" coin dies are currently known to exist. French numismatists Jean-Baptist Giard and J. Lafaurie have surveyed surviving examples and determined that 12 coin dies can be confirmed as official mint products; interestingly, 11 of these are from the important imperial mint of Lugdunum (modern Lyon) in France. Six dies were unearthed in Auxerre in 1799, four of which are now in the Bibliotech Nationale coin cabinet; the other two reside at the Musee de la Monnaie in Paris. Four more were found in 1863 at Paray-le-Monial and also now reside in museums. One was found at Vertault; our specimen comes from an old collection in Poule-les-Echarmaux, in the same area. The die is of identical fabric and metal composition to the other known examples, confirming that it is an official die. The presence of a silver denarius in the obverse indicates that during the course of striking, a denarius became lodged in the reverse die and caused the striking of an indeterminate number of brockages (a mint error in which the obverse or reverse of a coin is repeated, in relief and incuse, on both sides of the coin). The flattening around the edges of the denarius indicates that a fair number of brockages were struck in this fashion, driving the coin ever deeper into the reverse die. When attempts to dislodge the coin failed (indicated by gouges before the portrait), the die was discarded and possibly secretly removed by a mint worker as a souvenir. Thus we have an exceedingly rare opportunity to acquire an official Roman coin die, while at the same time demonstrating how brockages were produced in ancient times! Estimate: $10,000 - $15,000. Sold for 23,000 Educational Use Only-From web member

Occasionally numismatic items appear that few have ever seen, and actual production dies are one of these, however a die used to strike ancient coins is an even rarer item.

Below is some background on unique example of an ancient coin die used to strike a Tribute PennyDenarius of the mint of Lugdunum, and perhaps the first known evidence of early coin brockage.

We hope you find this as interesting as we have.

The Stacks Catelog states the following:

“A Unique Die for a Tribute PennyDenarius of the mint of Lugdunum. An official die with the obverse of a denarius stuck on the top. Laureate head r.; TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS. 161.16 grams. Height: 36.8mm, circumference: 31.4mm at its widest.

In Catalogue des Monnaies de l’Empire Romain, Tiberius- Nero (Paris, 1988), Jean-Baptiste Giard listed 12 known dies, 11 of which having been found in the Lugdunum (Lyon) area (an area of 200km).

Four were found in 1863 at Paray-le-Monial (Saone-et-Loire) and are now in museums. Six were unearthed in Auxerre (Yonne) in 1799, four of which are now at he Cabinet des Médailles de la BnF; the other two reside at the Musee monétaire de la Monnaie de Paris. And one was found at Vertault (Côte d’or).

This die come from an old collection in Poule-les-Echarmaux (Rhône), which is in the same area.

An analysis done on the back of the die here shows an identical composition to the other 12, hence showing that it is an official die. The likeliest hypothesis as to why there is a Tribute Penny Obverse showing on the top is that in the course of striking with the die, a completed Denarius was stuck inside the die and brockages were erroneously turned out for a short period.

When the mint worker caught on and attempted to pull the Denarius out so that the die could be used correctly, he couldn’t. The few scratches before the face of Tiberius stands as proof of this deducement. Failing in his attempt, the mint worker placed the die on the side to be destroyed.

A historic and unique remnant of the ancient Roman minting process, and perhaps the first known evidence of early coin brockage.
wwwTEXT.

PHOTO 5

I found this last photo which looks so pristine for a die of the Tiberian period?  Others I had look at it, seem to think its authentic?

This next testimony was sent back to my question of authenticity, but no longer have his/her name, these were their comments on the photo 5 die.

The rather startling photograph of a coin die of Tiberius caught my
attention immediately. This appears to be a specimen from the 1863
Paray-le-Monial find of seven Roman Imperial dies, and is now at the
Musee des Antiquites Nationales (at Saint-Germain-en-Laye).

This particular die is exceptionally well preserved. Other dies
from the same find show differing degrees of corrosion. There is
little doubt (none in my mind) of its authenticity.

There have been five obverse dies of this type discovered in France
(two in this find, and three in the Auxerre find of 1799). One, from
the latter find, was destroyed in testing in 1945.

Roman precious-metal dies of this period appear to have been made
of a very hard alloy (about 25% tin bronze -- a bell-metal alloy).  

I found most of these coin dies by looking for research that is not settled.  Caligula specimens.  If anyone has photos or more information on this?  Please let me know:  

Does anyone have photos of the two dies that were
photographed and been published by J.-B. Giard
and M. Amandry.

Die No. V31 (Caligula obverse from Paray-le-Monial)
1. Attributed by Giard (1976) to mint at Lugdunum, but to Rome by
Sutherland (1984).
2. Ovoid die. H = 42 mm (1.7 in); D = 22 mm (0.9 in).

Die No. V42 (Caligula obverse from Paray-le-Monial)
1. Obverse of aureus/denarius of Caligula. Laur. bust r. CCAESAR
AVG GERM... (P.M.TRP.POT) (COS). M. and S., I, p. 115, no. B, C,
etc. Attributed by Giard (1976) to mint at Lugdunum, but to Rome by
Sutherland (1984).
2. Ovoid die. Ht = 47 mm (1.9 in); D = 21 mm (0.8 in).

>
> J.B. Girard has drawn attention to the discovery at Parlay-le-
Mondial (Saone-et-Loire) in Gaul of two dies for precious metal coins
of Caligula, each with laureate heads, and has associated one with
coins minted as late as A.D. 40. Girard believes that these dies
represent the remains of the mint of Lugdunum and that the equipment
was looted and scattered around the town. Mattingly has recently
observed that the dies on gold and silver (unlike his aes) remain
unadjusted throughout Caligula's reign, and started to become
adjusted after Nero's currency reform in A.D. 64.

Joe Geranio
Julio Claudian Iconographic Association
you can email me from this site.

CCAESAR

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Interesting dies from the Augustan Julio Claudian Period!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:06:11 am »
Nice post Joe, thanks!
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 12:44:16 pm »
Fascinating post.  The brockage die is particularly interesting.  While brockages don't seem to be especially uncommon - even I've picked up several without really seeking them out - I wonder how often a coin was stuck in the die in this fashion.  Given the gouge marks I assume that the expectation was that the coin could be popped out relatively easily and the die salvaged for continued use so this must have been quite unusual.   

Thanks for the post! 

;D   

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 01:01:19 pm »
Thanks for sharing Joe! Nice post, very informative and interesting stuff, much new to me! I wondered though, about this: "Based on the dies themselves, it is impossible to tell whether they were used to strike dupondii or asses, since both issues of this moneyer were of the same type..."

For official dies that are discovered, doesn't one try to make matches to known examples? That could be quite valuable archaeologically/numismatically (as well as financially for the coin owners!) and certainly interesting everyday classical coin enthusiasts.

I suppose that might not solve the dupondius/as issues if the same dies were used for both denominations, but maybe they were used to strike only one denomination (that would be my admittedly wild guess). Either way, I wonder if it's been done before (including with, say, Greek, Byzantine dies)...

Very interesting, thanks again Joe!

Curtis
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:50:08 pm »
One more article on photos 3 and 4.   COIN LINK NEWS.

http://www.coinlink.com/News/ancients/unique-items-ancient-coin-die-tiberius-14-37-ad/

“A Unique Die for a Tribute PennyDenarius of the mint of Lugdunum. An official die with the obverse of a denarius stuck on the top. Laureate head r.; TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS. 161.16 grams. Height: 36.8mm, circumference: 31.4mm at its widest.

In Catalogue des Monnaies de l’Empire Romain, Tiberius- Nero (Paris, 1988), Jean-Baptiste Giard listed 12 known dies, 11 of which having been found in the Lugdunum (Lyon) area (an area of 200km).

Four were found in 1863 at Paray-le-Monial (Saone-et-Loire) and are now in museums. Six were unearthed in Auxerre (Yonne) in 1799, four of which are now at he Cabinet des Médailles de la BnF; the other two reside at the Musee monétaire de la Monnaie de Paris. And one was found at Vertault (Côte d’or).

This die come from an old collection in Poule-les-Echarmaux (Rhône), which is in the same area.

An analysis done on the back of the die here shows an identical composition to the other 12, hence showing that it is an official die. The likeliest hypothesis as to why there is a Tribute Penny Obverse showing on the top is that in the course of striking with the die, a completed Denarius was stuck inside the die and brockages were erroneously turned out for a short period.

When the mint worker caught on and attempted to pull the Denarius out so that the die could be used correctly, he couldn’t. The few scratches before the face of Tiberius stands as proof of this deducement. Failing in his attempt, the mint worker placed the die on the side to be destroyed.

A historic and unique remnant of the ancient Roman minting process, and perhaps the first known evidence of early coin brockage.
CCAESAR

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 01:55:39 pm »
STL and Curtis,  Both of you , great questions, and I surely dont have the answers as I have not studied dies from the Julio Claudian period all that closely.   If there are any more photos out there, lets see them.     I only really started looking into this due to my interest in Caligulan extant precious metal dies.    You start looking and you would be suprised what is out there, it never ends!!   Great isnt it.

Joe
CCAESAR

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 07:24:44 am »
Roman coin die from Paray-le-Monial, MAN- Julio Claudian Dies
http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/HistoricalMatrices1.html
used with permission- rare photo-

CCAESAR

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 03:52:37 pm »
Die from JB Giard Study.  Caligula.
CCAESAR

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 03:54:01 pm »
Another View of Ti Caesar precious metal die.
CCAESAR

All coins are guaranteed for eternity