Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown crusader coin with cross & lion for ID-Cyprus?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Unknown crusader coin with cross & lion for ID-Cyprus?
« on: December 07, 2012, 08:57:47 am »
Hi all;
I post this tiny Crusader coin AE 13 mm-W:0,5g.with lion from one side and like Jerusalem Cross with letters in angles on other side.I didn't find anything in CCS Cyprus coinage.Pls i need you help for ID
Regards
Nassif

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Re: Unknown crusader coin with cross & lion for ID-Cyprus?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 09:26:51 am »
I just find it-CRUSADER STATES,, Kingdom of Cyprus, Peter II, 1369 – 1382 AD-Bronze AE 13-W;0.5g, obverse + PIERE. ROI D, Lion of Cyprus rampant left; reverse + IERUALEM, cross pattée, pellet in each quarter; Malloy Crusaders 106; Seltman, Num. Circ. (Feb 1968), p. 37, fig. 2,Extremely rare
Regards
Nassif

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 11:50:27 am »
Nice find.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:44:17 pm »
Hi Nassif ,
I can't say with confidence that this is Peter II coin , because  I think that the cross is different from CCS 106 . On CCS 106 cross has a slightly different form, the petals of the cross to the middle is more narrow . Also pellet in each quarter of cross , more look like a letters , but this is my opinion . This is my six examples of CCS 104- 106  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4498   And letter on obverse legend also confusing me - look like  a  V  ???    Do you have any higher resolution images of this coin. Can you posted here or send to my PM  ?

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 03:56:28 am »
Hi;
I am posting two new photos with my Sony Camera,that's all what i can do with my material[may be it's time to renew it..]
personnly i can see like a letters ??in angle instead of pellets.My coin looks much nicer than .Probably it's between CCS 104-1-06-all new variety??
Regards
Nassif
PS:Let me send a great THANKS to Forum and especially to Joe, because without this forum i can't identify any of my rare coins.I still learning something new each day..

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 10:30:02 pm »
Very interesting coin , but still don't see a Peter II denier . Hopefully other members , far more familiar with medieval coins ,  will chime in discussion  regarding your coin attribution  :)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 08:09:11 am »
I agree they are letters, not pellets, and the attribution is likely wrong.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 12:59:09 pm »
I have the conviction from the beginning that pellets look more like letters than pellets...any idea for attribution?still Cyprus mint?No References...is it unpublished??
thanks all for your contribution and help
regards
Nassif

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 08:49:11 pm »
The letters/pellets in the corners are not very clear, but I could easily interpret them as four B's, a reverse type that was used in Lesbos by the Gattillusio dynasty at Metelin (see Schlumberger plate XVI) and at other locations.  But I can't find anywhere that this reverse type was coupled with a lion obverse.

The obverse type with the lion rampant was used extensively in the Low Countries, and some early 15th century issues even had letters in the quadrants of the cross (gros cromstert or kromstaart).  But they were large coins, and they were made of good silver.  The corresponding quarter-gros issues had on the obverse a lion within a shield, which is entirely different from yours.

My best guess is that your coin is a counterfeit cypriot carzia from around the time of James II (1460-73).  But that's just a guess...

Regards,
Jim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity