Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: what a difference a new lens makes  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
what a difference a new lens makes
« on: November 28, 2012, 03:39:41 pm »
A couple of before and after pics of two extremely rare coin types:

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
Re: what a difference a new lens makes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 04:13:59 pm »
What lens and camera?

~Steve

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 04:22:09 pm »
What lens and camera?

~Steve

Sony Nex-3 camera

Top pics were taken with the standard 18-55mm lens that is included with the camera, at 55mm setting. Lower with a new 35mm macro lens. Of course the lighting also differed, but I'd been trying to take pics of these very worn coins with poor surfaces under various lighting conditions for some months and the top pics were the best I ever arrived at. The bottom pics were basically my first attempt with a new lens. Admittedly they were taken with relatively low-angle lighting (about 30 degrees) to accentuate the relief, but I'd tried low-angle lighting before and only got a brown blur / green blur respectively.

To be honest, the top pics probably reflect how visible the coins in hand, i.e. virtually invisible due to their camouflage patinas, but I wanted to see the designs, given the rarity of the types (6 known of the top type outside the Paris collection; 3 of the bottom type), and much better colour-distinction from among the camouflage (ie. among the various shades of green and brown). I'm happy with the results.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 04:35:51 pm »
This the lens: it's an "e-mount" lens specifically designed for the NEX cameras:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/ddl-fixed-focal-length-lenses/sel-30m35

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 05:37:51 pm »
Thanks Andrerw!

The macro lenses are the way to go!

I have an old manual one for my Nikon, and even though the metering and focusing are trial and error, the result is still better than the standard lens that came with the camera.

Someday I want to get one of the current macro lenses that are designed for the camera. It's all a matter of priority ::) Right now new coins seem to be winning the tug of war ;)

~Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity