Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: Man-Faced Bull Site 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man-Faced Bull Site  (Read 27828 times)
Molinari
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

My defeat, if understood, should be my glory

« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2014, 06:13:14 pm »

The print catalog is divided by major geographical areas then alphabetically by mint.  Eventually, the site will at least be consistent with that general layout, I hope.

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2014, 12:39:02 pm »

Shannon found this great piece from Lycia.  One of the first man-faced bull coins, and the only one pairing a Tortoise with the MFB. 

500-460BC, .73g, British Museum 1978,1020.2.
Toirtoise/Forepart of MFB.

http://manfacedbullsar.wordpress.com/lycia/

* an00697863_001_l.jpg (51.03 KB, 750x366 - viewed 5 times.)

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2014, 05:32:22 am »

Another great find by Shannon!

AR Stater, 10.24g. MFB/Incuse punch.  Attributed to Ennea Hodoi by E.S.G.Robinson, Revue numismatique, 6e serie- Tome 15, annee 1973, p.229-237.  Apparently unique.

http://manfacedbullsar.wordpress.com/ennea-hodoi/

* 10.24gEnneaHodoi2.jpg (28.49 KB, 447x206 - viewed 134 times.)

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2015, 01:17:11 pm »

I was sent a picture of a great rarity today.  Apparently, my fast reading of Lazzarini missed an entirely new variety from Halykaia, one with a dog on the reverse, not the usual boar.  Here it is attached!  I am very excited about this  Grin

https://manfacedbulls.wordpress.com/himera/

EDIT: Some debate on said coin on lamoneta: http://www.lamoneta.it/topic/134286-halykiae/page-2#entry1530628

* LazzariniIII2.jpg (301.8 KB, 1645x783 - viewed 3 times.)

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2015, 07:50:11 am »

Two new MFB bronzes in two days...I'm officially over the moon!

This new Metropolis variety appears to have MET in upper right field, and it appears the MFB's head is turned back so that it is seen in profile, unlike the other examples in which the head is turned back but facing!

https://manfacedbulls.wordpress.com/metropolis/

From the BnF.

* BnF6.98.jpg (207.46 KB, 894x462 - viewed 3 times.)

JBF
Caesar

« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2015, 08:46:43 pm »

It reminds me of Laos (silver) mfb standing left, head turned right.  That is also in profile.

Where is Metropolis and when is this coin?  I imagine it is quite some time after the Laos issues though.  Those are probably 6th and 5th c. BC

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a man-faced bull! Thumbs Up
Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2015, 05:41:33 am »

Thessaly.  Close to Methylion, which is the only other Thessalian location to issue a MFB type: https://manfacedbulls.wordpress.com/methylion/

I think this issue is also related to mercenaries, and there is a statue of Apollo in full hoplite armor at Metropolis!

These are usually dated 300-200 BC, but I would suggest slightly earlier, like the last quarter of the fourth century BC.  I haven't really reviewed the case for the 300-200 range, however.  

JBF
Caesar

« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2015, 11:25:18 pm »

dates for Greek are rarely precise (absolute).  300-200 BC is a mighty big gap and so, to me that makes it sound like it hasn't been looked into very well.  Or maybe the information is just not there, but the only way to figure that out is to look.

Do you look at hoard and overstrikes at all?  I am not saying that it would necessarily be useful for your purposes, but I find it interesting to find out what is contemporary with what.

and now, a joke about the dating of ancient artifacts Grin

There was this tour guide at the British Museum who said to the tour, "these mummies are 3000 years old." to which someone in the back of the group yelled out "and seven!"  The guide let it go, and continued the tour.
Then the guide said, "this Greek vase is 2500 years old." to which someone in the back of the group yelled out "and seven!"  This obviously irritated the guide, but he said nothing, and continued the tour.
The guide came to the next room and said, "this Roman sarcophagus is 1800 years old." and sure enough, a voice from the back of the group said, "and seven!"  Finally, the guide couldn't stand it any more, and yelled out, "why are you saying that!"  A small man (named Mulla Nasrudin) came forward and said, "well I was here seven years ago, and you were saying the same thing!"
Meepzorp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2015, 06:18:29 am »

These are usually dated 300-200 BC, but I would suggest slightly earlier, like the last quarter of the fourth century BC.  I haven't really reviewed the case for the 300-200 range, however.  

Hi Nick,

That's the same time period that most Campania MFB coins are dated. Was that time period just generically applied to the Thessaly coin, or is it based on more evidence?

Meepzorp

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2015, 06:36:18 am »

There was this tour guide at the British Museum who said to the tour, "these mummies are 3000 years old." to which someone in the back of the group yelled out "and seven!"  The guide let it go, and continued the tour.
Then the guide said, "this Greek vase is 2500 years old." to which someone in the back of the group yelled out "and seven!"  This obviously irritated the guide, but he said nothing, and continued the tour.
The guide came to the next room and said, "this Roman sarcophagus is 1800 years old." and sure enough, a voice from the back of the group said, "and seven!"  Finally, the guide couldn't stand it any more, and yelled out, "why are you saying that!"  A small man (named Mulla Nasrudin) came forward and said, "well I was here seven years ago, and you were saying the same thing!"

That actually made me laugh out loud!

300-200 seemed a big gap to me too.  I haven't really looked into it,but my gut says slightly earlier.  Metropolis is in the last part of the catalog so I probably wont have a more definitive answer for some time, but if you discover anything, let me know!

JBF
Caesar

« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2015, 11:40:11 am »

Glad you liked it.  Mulla Nasrudin is a kind of wise fool character from Turkey.  There are a lot of little tales like this about him, both old and new.  The character is from the Sufi branch of Islam ("whirling dervishes," peaceful mystics).  I figure that Islam gets so much bad press about the militant jerks these days, it is important to mention that there is a peaceful side as well.
Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2015, 03:30:26 pm »

Here is my Pinterest board with some man-faced bulls and related iconography in ancient art.  Eventually I'll have an independent website corresponding to the plates in Potamikon.

https://www.pinterest.com/molinari2096/man-faced-bulls-and-related-iconography/

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2016, 09:19:06 am »

I've begun updating the site based on the new numbering system in Potamikon.

I'm starting with Sicily and will work my way through, but here's a preview of the new layout:

https://manfacedbulls.wordpress.com/abakainon/

https://manfacedbulls.wordpress.com/agyrion-3/

https://manfacedbulls.wordpress.com/alaisa-katane/

...among others.

Arados
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2016, 10:12:39 am »

Hi Nick,

Apart from your new update using the numbering system in Potamikon, have you changed anything else ?

Your website certainly looks more appealing now when following the links you provided. Embarrassed

P.S I read the essay you uploaded to Academia today, specifically the part titled "Why the Man-Faced Bull ?: A Philosophical Introduction". Congratulations to the both of you on a extremely well written essay, i found it very informative and enthralling.

I can't wait to see the rest of your book.

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2016, 11:00:51 am »

Yes, the pictures and descriptions are now copies of the entries from the book itself, as opposed to copy/pasted dealer write-ups.

Eventually, I'd like the website to serve as a corpus where we can list all examples by weight under each plate, to give a better idea of rarity.  But that won't be for a very long time!

Glad you like the essay Smiley

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2016, 06:23:18 am »

After speaking with my co-author we decided that, in fairness to the publisher, we would only list half the coins on the site until sometime after the book is officially released.  That's still about double what was on there before, but won't cut into sales for Archaeopress.

I had assumed the great appeal of the book would be the commentary, which equals hundreds of pages, but I suppose some will buy just for the catalog.

So, I will continue to update the site but will only be adding every other plate.

https://manfacedbulls.wordpress.com/

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: Man-Faced Bull Site « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop