Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domna Pia Felix / Diana Lucifera  (Read 1414 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Domna Pia Felix / Diana Lucifera
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:45:53 am »
Not quite a coin of the day, but somethig I wanted: a post-Antonine Diana Lucifera with the transverse torch, because I wonder just EXACTLY what they meant for it to convey. and second a good example of a Domna so past her glamourous and glory days that her portrait looks dead.  I wonder why her sister Maesa seems to have consented to (relished?) being depicted as an old lady, when she was.
Also, it isn't the photo of the day, either.  In fact, the coin is so shiny (not, I am sure, Joe's fault--yes, it came from Forvm) that it was very hard to photograph and I did it over and over, finally following Barry Murphy's advice: one lamp in the right place and at the right angle, but it isn't QUITE sharp.
It is RIC IV, 37a of AD 214.
Pat L.
CLICK to zoom

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Re: Domna Pia Felix / Diana Lucifera
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 01:08:55 am »
I think it would be a nice choice for CotD. Nice addition

All coins are guaranteed for eternity