Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Storing your coins  (Read 15468 times)

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: Storing your coins
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 08:41:59 am »
I'm another odd man out preferring flips in binders over trays.  I don't have room for storage in boxes and trays although they look very nice.  I can't bring myself to put the collection in a safe deposit box like David as I like to get them out and look them over.  Like TRPOT, I like to keep mine inconspicuous, and I think another binder in my cluttered house is less likely to draw attention from a would be burglar than a nice box.  I struggled with this when starting out, but I like my system now.  Each coin gets two spaces- one for the coin in an archival safe flip (not mylar) from the Forum, and a second for the write up I do and any tags it comes with.  That way, I can see the obverse and reverse without pulling the coin out if I don't need to.  My system works for me, but I think I'll have to switch to David's at some point, more out of fear of fire, than theft. 

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 01:40:00 am »
I keep mine in a manner very similar to Lucas, flips in a 3 ring binder by region for Greeks and by emperor for Romans, plus pages of pictures of things of historical interest in between sections.  I also maintain an "ebook" using OpenOffice with one coin per page using the same picture and description as my Forum gallery plus any other information I discover about the coin that I find interesting.    :)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 05:27:37 am »
When I kept my coins at home they were stored in a three ringed binder. I liked the idea of turning page after page of pretty denarii.

If I was ever to bring them back home, that again would be my preferred storing method. Cheap, easy, and eye catching!

Ghengis_Jon

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 11:51:08 am »
I make the same argument for ancient coins that I do with firearms.  You have a large investment/couldn't bear to lose your collection.  Why wouldn't you protect it in an adequate manner?  For the price of 2 'advanced' coins (or one new firearm) you can buy a steel, fireproof, HEAVY upright safe that can be anchored to the floor.  I keep 98% of my collection stored in 3 ring binders, locked in such a safe.  (The other 2% of coins are in a safe deposit box.)  

A 'small', quality firearms safe (12 long gun) can be had for about $400.  The biggest question is what is the cost for your peace of mind?  Plus you can store other stuff, such as the wife's jewelry there and still have easy access.

If I lived in an apartment, the most valuable coins would reside in a bank, but thats just me.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 11:00:02 am »
Hi,

I am, I'm afraid to say, rather "old school" when it comes to storage, preferring wooden cabinets for long term storage with just a couple of Lindner trays and other loose trays for "overspill".

regards,

Mauseus

Offline SkySoldier

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 04:07:57 pm »
Nice.  I'm afraid that She Who Must Be Obeyed would have something to say about those cabinets if I tried that. 

I'm afraid it's binders for me.

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 08:42:00 am »
I suppose I'm the odd man out here, but I keep my coins in a bank deposit box.
I make the same argument for ancient coins that I do with firearms.

I have been shamed into taking action.  As far as value, my ancient coin collection is only rivaled by my firearm collection.  I can't fit my firearms in the safe deposit box, although I might keep one there.  Since reading these responses, I have been busy organizing my pages of 12 Caesar denarii in my notebook to take to the bank (just to store, and not to cash in).  I'll miss them, but I'll have to start with a few new acquisitions to have something around the house to work on. 

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 10:08:22 am »
Hi,

I am, I'm afraid to say, rather "old school" when it comes to storage, preferring wooden cabinets for long term storage with just a couple of Lindner trays and other loose trays for "overspill".

regards,

Mauseus

I am "old school" too, I have the same cabinets as Mauseus but, since my collection is more modest, I only have two of them. I think that at my age they will suffice until I go into my own "wooden cabinet".  ;D

Alex.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity