Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Storing your coins  (Read 15467 times)

Offline tjaart

• Consul
Storing your coins
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:32:05 am »
Hi everyone,

I just started collecting Roman coins and I am really enjoying it so far. I have found the forum very useful and its members very helpful. I have been reading up on different ways to store my coins and was wondering about the merits of coin albums vs coin trays.

1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?
2. Any specific brand/feature recommendations for either of the two?
3. I have read about using restoration wax and was wondering which methods are the best to preserve coins (for trays as well as albums)?

I am looking forward to your insights!

Thanks,
Tjaart

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
Re: Storing your coins
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:14:43 pm »
Hello and Welcome!

You will find it pretty much comes down to personal taste. Myself, I set my coins out into two categories. 'Display' coins, and coins which are either duplicates or areas which I don't really collect or simply not worthy of display. The latter of course go into albums.

I don't really have any brand recommendations, any old thing will do, although I use an Italian brand called ABAFIL for my trays. The Italians are simply to good to be beaten when it comes to style and appearance!  ;D

I don't use wax. If I get a waxed coin, it comes off. I hate wax. But again that's personal taste. If you feel it makes the coin cosmetically better, it's your coin and therefore your property and you entitled to do with it what you wish.

Best of luck in your collecting pursuits!

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:29:52 pm »
The big disadvantage of albums over trays is that it is a greater effort to take the coins out and I didn't handle and thus enjoy my collection half as much as I do now. Trays are not expensive, plastic is fine, they're easy to store and stack and you can easily look at your coins. You can easily take them out, look at any or all of them and sort them quickly whichever way you like. If you want paper tags you can store them under the coins or just in a separate compartment in each tray. I like to buy them a little larger and there are usually cheap used ones or not so popular sizes (with Euro collectors) that you can get new very cheaply. Even though, the Lindner (or lighthouse?) trays don't look too cheap.

Switching to trays for me was a revelation and I would never go back. Albums may be better for transportation but the plastic flips often fall out of the plastic binder pages so that type isn't really good for anything. The only advantage is that you can more easily hide your collection.

I don't care much about displaying the coins, if I find someone that's interested I can show them the nicest coins and I don't keep coins that I don't like to look at. That doesn't mean that all my coins are pretty but that they're either pretty or interesting to me.
Andreas Reich

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:50:28 pm »
Hi tjaart and welcome

I do use Abafil trays for my coins too.  They are nice and convenient but not that cheap.
I feel my treasures worth it ! They like to lay on velvet rather than plastic  ;)

best of luck in your collecting quest
Potator

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 12:55:55 pm »
Numismatics is the hobby of Kings  (ACCG dixit among others), and Kings ,AFAIK,used trays, never  plastic flips, nor plastic cabinets. Mine are plastic
 :'( :'( :'(
Edit. I use "lighthouse". Plastic and velvet trays,easy to stack. Try not to move the trays too much because with time some toning could be lost  . Take a look at the highest points on the reverse of this busty Victory  RR coin. For sure it has been kept obverse up.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 03:41:26 pm »
Nothing against nice trays but I never had enough money left over for them, because I spent it all on coins. It took me years to get a decent loupe for the same reason.
Andreas Reich

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 04:24:26 pm »
I use trays from Lindner in suitcases for 8 trays which can be stacked because their handle is retractable. They are very similar to the trays of Lighthouse.

Jochen

Offline Belisarius

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 05:38:29 pm »
That's very impressive Jochen!

I do both - trays are nicer, but, to be honest, does that rather worn Gloria Exertius or similar 4th C. Coins (often from uncleaned lots) need to be in them? Doubles, or less pretty ones, in my experience, go best (and at far better cost) in albums.

It's also harder to produce a chronology (a personal pervertion of mine) in trays, unless you have sufficient to dedicate one or two emperors per case...
"...horum omnium fortissimi sunt belgae!"
- Julius Caesar

My gallery:
www.forumancientcoins.com/

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 05:46:23 pm »
Why keep coins at all that you don't like to look at? It doesn't matter what others think but if you yourself don't like them?
Andreas Reich

Offline tjaart

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 05:56:53 pm »
Thanks for all the insights. It really helped me to make my mind up.

@areichs: I have to agree that I would like to be able to touch the coins and look at them regularly and a tray would make that easier.

@benito: I never thought about the damage that could be done to toning by moving the tray. Thanks for that and for the example.

@Jochen: Wow! I hope to someday have such an extensive collection. Those look really nice :)

Once again, thanks for all the insights and examples. I think I might go for a tray system as I like to be able to touch the coins. For some of my other, more modern coin collections I think I will go for an album as they won't be handled as much. Now to decide which type of tray system to invest in...  ;)

Tjaart

Offline dafnis

• Consul
  • ad astra per aspera.
    • Numismática Antigua
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 06:05:41 pm »
And there's yet a third option, Tjaart. Undoubtedly the most expensive of them all, also the best, IMHO, for both conservation and display.
I'm talking about the mahogany cabinets, a few of us here use them. You can read about them and take a look at a few pics here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=67903.0

Welcome to this great hobby of collecting ancients!

Offline pitbull

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 06:10:11 pm »
I also went the tray route.

One thing that I do have trouble with is keeping track of what each coin is.

Do most people use paper under the coin as Jochen demonstrates and if so where do you get acid free paper and what about writing--is pen ink used and is it safe.

For those who don't use paper slips under the coin, how do you keep track of which coin is which without studying them each time as many may look quite similar.

This is what I still have problems with.

I haven't been around that long so any rec. appreciated

Gary

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 06:24:13 pm »
Yeah, I'm always having to replace the flips, they break pretty easily.

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 06:50:19 pm »
I bought a "coin case" five years ago after I bought my first ever coin, here on Forum.
When I was in Armenia seven years ago a coin seller had an album packed with great coins. But he was a seller, and the album suited the purpose.
I leave the coins free of any plastic covering, there are paper notes under them to ID them. That is it.
That case is for great coins only.
Any others I am keen to sell on rather than keep and clutter.

Welcome, and make sure to read up here on all info, such as Fakes and Forgeries, do not make mistakes as I had when buying online.
This is the right place, the place of the Kings  ;)
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline pitbull

• Praetorian
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 09:27:42 pm »
Thanks for your suggestion.

For those of us who are challenged in these matters, how do you get the image placed on the spreadsheet where you want it.

Do you use one spread sheet for each tray or one long list?

Thanks

Gary

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 10:25:44 pm »
Thanks for your suggestion.

For those of us who are challenged in these matters, how do you get the image placed on the spreadsheet where you want it.

Do you use one spread sheet for each tray or one long list?

I use a Mac which simply allows me to drag the jpg photo file onto the spread sheet, resize it on the sheet ( by dragging the corner of the images diagonally in or out) to about postage stamp size then drag it onto the cell where I want it. The same principles apply for  Windows based operating systems although the details may be slightly different. If you want to be more technical I think you can go directly to the cell where you want the image then use Insert from the drop down menu to insert the image file then resize it on the sheet to fit the cell size. Also remember you can make the cell sizes as wide and high as you want by setting the cell size for each column or simply dragging the borders of each row/ column on the sheet. You will have to greatly enlarge the standard cell size from the standard that opens up when you open Excel. Just fiddle around to get something that suits your need.

Tip - I have my sheet fairly large and then just print it at 60 % scale ( using print set up) to get it standard A4 page width on printing. When printed it runs to about 18 pages for a couple of hundred coins -so it's one long list that prints out over multiple pages - just scale it to get the correct page width on printing and the rest takes care of itself.

You could of course make a separate list for each tray or insert a title  Tray 1, Tray 2 etc at the appropriate point in the list. I don't bother as things get moved around in and across trays with each acquisition so one long list is easier for me to manage and it meets my needs just fine.

That said my coins list does contain headings such as Peloponnesos, Asia minor, Hellenistic, etc. and subheading such as Seleukid, Bactria etc. - you can cut and dice the list any way you want once you've made it.  A grab shot of a bit of my list is attached below to show what I mean.

You can even save the list as a PDF and load it into your iBook library if you want! Carry a virtual copy of your collection wherever you and your iPad go - pretty cool to have to impress other geeks at the pub! Maybe I should build a coin collection app?

Offline Belisarius

• Consul
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 02:17:34 pm »
Why keep coins at all that you don't like to look at? It doesn't matter what others think but if you yourself don't like them?
No, I agree. I like looking at all my coins (and, indeed, anyone else's), but it is rather less expensive to have an file, rather than a tray filled with Gloria Exertius coins (which will experience little if any harm in a file). I don't put them in sealed containers, rather than effectively see-through flips.

I agree that a lot of fun is taken out if you cannot actually handle the coins.
"...horum omnium fortissimi sunt belgae!"
- Julius Caesar

My gallery:
www.forumancientcoins.com/

TRPOT

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 07:33:14 pm »
I would love to have trays but I live in an apartment in Chicago so I prefer to keep my collection less obvious. I use flips in plastic 2x2 boxes with dividers. The dividers are a nice touch because they keep the coins from sliding all over the place if the box isn't full. My collection is not so large that it isn't easy to hide. I just keep extra flips on hand because of the way they tend to split every now and then.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 02:49:54 am »
Like most LRBC collectors I started out with albums - mylar flips in plastic pockets.  Cheap, easy to see, and very easy to keep data handy if you either make your own flip sheets or use a program like Moneta.

Then I began to get plastic trays.  I began slowly and moved my collection over bit by bit.  It is still not entirely in trays. 

I troll through all the coin shops - the ones that do not stock ancient coins - once every 3 or 4 months and buy up used trays.  I get them 1/2 or 2/3 original price

The size of spaces in the tray dictates what I put there.  I use the large round holes for Sestertii and other early bronzes and use an old fashioned paper rondels for identification.  I use the large squares for my more important LRBCs as I can fit the 2"x2" flip label under the coin.  I use the ones with very small squares for my more common LRBC AE3s and AE4.  I have these small-space tray with anywhere from 64 to 99 spaces.  They are great for things like GLORIA EXERCITVS two soldiers, GLORIA ROMANORVM Emperor with standard and captive, SPES REIPVBLICE Victory dragging captive, etc.  It is nice to be able to examine and handle them all very quickly and easily.  The only down side is the record keeping for coins in these small-space trays.  For now I still have the flip labels in binders - but without the coins.  But I really envy Lloyd T's type of list.  It is beautiful and clearly the result of a lot of work.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 07:26:40 am »
I suppose I'm the odd man out here, but I keep my coins in a bank deposit box. The coins are arranged by RIC number in coin boxes for easy access. As much as I would love to have them handy at anytime of the night or day I feel much more comfortable knowing that they are safely locked away. Not just for theft reasons but also in case of a home fire.

I do keep a fairly detailed binder at home with pictures and info on each coin, and normally I make it to the bank once a week to handle them. The bank has kindly provided a wonderful private area for such visits. Oddly enough my weekly visit to the bank, loupe and binder in tow, has become a relaxing and enjoyable routine that I look forward to.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 03:48:20 pm »
Lloyd, is that list sortable? Are the pictures properly stored in the cells or just laying on top? If it's the former it might be a really easy solution for a coin database.
Andreas Reich

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 06:41:08 pm »
Lloyd, is that list sortable? Are the pictures properly stored in the cells or just laying on top? If it's the former it might be a really easy solution for a coin database.

The list is sortable, but not the pictures, which as you point out are actually lying on top of the cells.  I suspect that there is a way to completely embed the images in the cells, but I haven't followed up on this yet, although its been on my to do list for a few years.... being self taught in Excel means I need to buy a guide a study up on this so it'll probably be some time yet.  

That said, I frequently uses the list absent images, by cut and pasting it into another worksheet, then I extract for example age data, or mint, into another column and then sort on that if I want to cut the collection by age or mint. Once the basics are there its pretty easy to do and I am sure an expert could readily develop the approach into something more functional.  

If really focused on the ability to use it as a sortable database, then I'd add separate columns for things such mint, age data, king etc so that the option to sort alphanumerically on different data fields is easily achieved...the more data fields (i.e. columns of different data) the greater the flexibility to sort the spreadsheet (excluding photos).

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 07:31:57 pm »
Excel appears not to have the ability to embed an image into a cell, but you can insert images into a cell COMMENT so that when you hover the mouse ove the cell, the image will appear.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7252352_embed-image-cell.html

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 04:29:14 am »
Hi All,
I just tried the suggestion in here, http://www.ehow.com/how_5452020_insert-picture-excel-cell.html, about changing the image properties to "Move but don't size with cells", and that allowed me to sort quite happily with the images moving along with the cells. However, you have to be careful that the image falls within the cell walls, and I will say that I have found that in Excel 2007 sometimes I had to change the image properties to "Move and size with cells" and then back to "Move but don't size with cells" before it started playing ball.  Anyway summary below if you want to try it.

Choose the Insert menu and Picture From File to display the Insert Picture dialogue. Browse to the file that you need and double-click. The dialogue closes and the picture appears with its upper-left corner matching the upper-left corner of the cell.

Resize the picture as needed by clicking on it until the handles appear. Hold down the Shift key and click on one of the corner handles. While holding the mouse down, drag it to proportionately size the image.

Right-click on the picture and choose Format Picture from the pop-up menu. The Format Picture dialogue appears.

Click the Properties tab and then choose "Move but don't size with cells." Click the OK button to accept your settings. Your image now moves as though part of the cell.

regards

Mark

Offline Equity

• Consul
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 11:55:48 pm »
Hello all,

As a novice collector, I too have been giving this conundrum some thought. Trays would be nice, but I'd like to start with a binder, sorted chronologically (by date of mint!), with a binder-length (hole punchable) transparent plastic, PVC-free, "envelope" (like a large half flip, preferably closeable) for each coin. Alongside each coin I'd also store perhaps a full page printout of an encyclopaedia article on the historical figure/region in question, and perhaps info on how I acquired the coin etc.

Does anyone else have such a system? I'm wondering if I can purchase "large flips" which would be suitable for insertion in a 3-ring binder, or if I have to go the less secure route of a "lever press" style binder to hold the coin envelopes in place. Suggestions for where to look for larger PVC-free plastic envelopes would be appreciated! For the more common coins I'd probably go with multiple coins to a plastic envelope. And please know if there's a "better way"!

Andreas makes a good point about ease-of-handling, but after having dropped my coins a couple of times now I'm rather nervous!

Thanks,
Derek
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 08:41:59 am »

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 01:40:00 am »

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 05:27:37 am »

Ghengis_Jon

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 11:51:08 am »

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 11:00:02 am »

Offline SkySoldier

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 04:07:57 pm »

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 08:42:00 am »

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 10:08:22 am »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity