Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Information Cards/Sheets for 3-Ring Binders  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
Information Cards/Sheets for 3-Ring Binders
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:55:29 pm »
FORUM Mates,

Well, my budget has not enabled me to add much to my collection lately, so I’m taking this as an opportunity to organize what I have.

I keep my most of my collection in a Mahogany Cabinet, but there is a portion, mostly 18th & 19th Century silver minors, that I have placed in the old “fold & staple” type holders and I store/display these in “stock pages” within 3-ring binders.

I want to divide each vinyl page with an information page, but I’m not sure how to line up the information with the coins.

I also though that I should have a 3-ring binder with pages that correspond to the trays in my cabinet.

I’ve long been intrigued by the “information cards” that the pros use.  How do the dealers create those professional looking 2x2 Flip Inserts that contain all that great information?  Is there a “template” that I can use?  Perhaps I can adapt this to use with my binders.

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: Information Cards/Sheets for 3-Ring Binders
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 09:09:54 pm »
Bud, I know this isn't what you were looking for but thought you may be interested in this old thread.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=67844.0

I would guess that they have a program for the 2x2 flip cards. If not all that can be set up in word or the Adobe suit etc.

I use Adobe for my roundels.

A few measurements and you could make a page to go between sheets easily in In Design, or 2x2 squares for your flips

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:41:49 pm »
Thanks very much Renegade.  I was contemplating placing Roundels under the coins in my cabinet, but I am leaning to creating a “reference binder” with the information.

I’ve been trying to create my own “template” on MS-Word in an attempt to line up the information with the coins in my 3-ring binder, but I’m getting a little frustrated.  Has anyone faced similar frustration and come up with a resolution?

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:06:31 pm »
It can be done in word but since it is set up with predefined line spacing etc you have to really tweak all that. In contrast, In Design is made for that. You can position stuff however and wherever.

I apologize, but I meant to post in my original post that the best thing for you to use is Power Point.  I have made entire poster boards for research with it.  Litterally, 3.5 feet by 4 feet.  Amazing program if you know how to manipulate everything and the simple tricks to line things up etc.

You would need to make your slide 8.5x11 the size of paper and your flip sheets. Then you can add a grid line and ruler to the slide.  This will allow you to take real measurements you make from your flip pages and apply the dimensions to the ppt slide.  Make sense? Once you get  one row of boxes set up you can group them and the copy and paste them for the next line.  Then you only have to worry about the distance between your two rows at that point and proceed from there. Make sure you pit your text boxes in their as well and just copy and.paste them too.

Save all that as a template, and then just fill in pages as you need.

Hope this makes sense.  If I had a 2x2 flip sheet (and some free time) I could do it for you, but I don't own any so don't know the measurements.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:18:52 pm »
Thanks again Jeremy. 

I’m up for a challenge and I’ll give it a shot.  If I get too frustrated perhaps my teenager can help out her ‘old man’.  ;D

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:54:07 pm »
You will want to use the group button to group things. Then use the align buttons once you have certain boxes set up. If you know which ones to group and when and which align buttons to use it will put everything exactly where you want it.  The hard part with ppt is starting the template. Once you get going and use copy and paste, group and ungroup buttons, and align features it goes faster and faster.

I wish I could be more specific with how to use them, but it is hard to explain without showing it to someone.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 07:40:31 am »
Thanks again Jeremy,

On your advice, I’ve already started “tinkering around” with MS-Power Point and I’m confident, that with a little effort, that I can make your solution work for me.

Take care,

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 08:57:24 am »
Great! If you get stuck or have questions feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer.

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 07:46:26 pm »
Bud

I use

http://www.dataxm.com/vccintro.html

this is a free data file it works on both mac and pc. It is a early robust platform and will print 2 by 2 flips with whatever infer you wish on them organized however you want. Its a pretty decent program. A coin dealer told me of it when I first started collecting and I have about 4/5 of my collection of 700 or so coins entered in it.
Check out the screen shots of examples on the left side of the page I have linked to.

cw

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 10:54:36 am »
Thanks much CW,

I've just used the link that you provided and I've begun to explore the site & products.  At 'first blush' this does look like something I can use, but I must admit that I’m a little reluctant to download the program, so I’ll use your advice and look at the screen-shots and other information thoroughly.  I'll let you know how I make out.  :)

Thanks again.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 11:42:23 am »
Why? There's nothing wrong with the program, it looks nice enough and it's free.
Andreas Reich

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 02:24:37 pm »
Thanks Andreas, it does look like a useful program.  I appreciate CW bringing it to my attention.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 04:18:53 pm »
The big advantage is that you don't need any other software to run it, like you do for the Access database floating around.
Andreas Reich

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 07:41:43 pm »
Bud, any luck in power point? I hope you got it to work for you.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 10:31:46 pm »
Bud, any luck in power point? I hope you got it to work for you.

Thanks Jeremy.  Looks like Power Point is the way to go.  I've made a little progress, but haven't been able to devote much time to the project.  Been doing a lot of out of town travel lately, but this should change in the next few weeks, hopefully I can put some 'time on task' shortly.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity