Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: cista mystica??  (Read 3614 times)

alaric

cista mystica??
« on: January 15, 2003, 08:17:11 pm »
I have been intrigued for sometime with the number of coins that have pictures of the "cista mystica" with the snake coming out of it on them.  I know that this refers to a sacred chest or basket in which a snake (poisonous I assume?) was kept.  I also know that it was centered around Pergamon and as such probably signified Roman dominance over this area.  Was this some ancient religious snake handling rite?  Does anyone have any more information on the significance of this on coins?

Alaric :) :) :)

Xerburous

Re: cista mystica??
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 10:36:52 pm »
Cista  (or cista mystica), a basket used for housing sacred snakes in connection with the initiation ceremony into the cult of Bacchus (Dionysus). In the Dionysian mysteries a serpent, representing the god, was carried in a box called a cista on a bed of vine leaves. This may be the Cista mentioned by Clement of Alexandria which was exhibited as containing the phallus of Dionysus. The cista mentioned in the mysteries of Isis may also have held a serpent, the missing phallus of Osiris. The fertility festival of the women of Arretophoria included cereal paste images ‘of serpents and forms of men' , in other words, phallic symbols.

Several ancient dignitaries put about the rumour that they had been fathered by a god in serpent form. The emperor Augustus was said to have been fathered by a snake, and his mother never afterwards lost the marks of its embrace. A serpent was said to have been found beside the sleeping Olympias, mother of Alexander the Great. Her husband, Philip of Macedon, is reputed never to have coupled with the 'Bride of the Serpent' again. Alexander is sometimes connected with the horned serpent. The healer god, Asclepios, is said to have fathered a son on a woman who is depicted in Asclepios's temple at Sicyon as sitting on a serpent. Barren women often sought help at the temples of Asclepios to sleep in the precincts of the abaton. So the Idolitry involed is that of fertility, to the land or to the Empire, or Empurer.
 Hope this helps  ;D

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2003, 06:14:36 am »
Nice post!  I understand that the cysta mythica cult predated Roman occupation, see Pergamene kingdom, etc.  Several cities issued tetradrachms with this theme indicating that the cult was widespread throughout the area (modern Turkey).  I have also read that the coins may have had a nationalistic meaning.  The intertwined snakes may represent the intertwining tributaries of the Meander River (which also gives us an ancient-origin word to wander).  Definitely cool coins, would collect a bunch if I could afford it! :(
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

alaric

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2003, 06:29:47 am »
Yes, seems to be quite a bit of snake handling going on in the ancient world... Maybe the reason that Antony and Augustus were so keen to issue coinage with it on it, was to show themselves to be in touch and control of the Asian part of their empires...

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2003, 06:49:22 am »
Snakes were very popular in the ancient world. They were a sign of good, not like all this crap about them being bad thats permeated modern society thanks to Mr Bible. >:(
There was one early Roman goddess, Bona Dea i think whos sacred animal was a snake and the shrines housing it were shape after a womens privates. ::) So ive been told anyway... ::)
                              LordBest. 8)

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 06:09:51 am »
An old post which I just thought I would update by adding a picture of a coin bearing the image of a cista mystica.

Alex.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity