Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What is a mule?  (Read 734 times)

Offline Legatus

• Consul
What is a mule?
« on: August 09, 2011, 03:22:33 pm »
I have a simple question. What is a mule? I have a coin that has a reverse not published for that particular ruler and I have been told it is a mule. Are mules ancient coins or modern fakes or can they be either? The coin in question is a Philip I Antoninianus with an obv legend reading: IMPMIVLPHILIPPVSAVG - Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. The rev legend reads: VIRTVTIAVGVSTI - Hercules standing right leaning on club set on rock. A muling of an obverse of Philip with a reverse of Gordian perhaps? Or is it a modern day fake with a mistake of the reverse? And in the interest of full disclosure, I have posed this same question on another coin forum.  I am trying to learn from the best, no matter from where that information may emanate.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=30485

"The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones"

Offline ickster

• Caesar
Re: What is a mule?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 03:25:23 pm »
Legatus,

You will see that your word "mule" turned blue in your post. This is an auto link to numiswiki where the definition may be found. In this case, it states:

A Roman coin that is a hybrid, meaning it has the obverse of one emperor and the reverse of another. Coins of this type are generally scarce or rare.  A modern day comparison would be the obverse (heads) of a US Penny and the reverse (tails) of a US Dime.

Hope this helps.

Erik

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:28:13 pm »
As it is commonly used it's only a mule if it's ancient and official. If it's ancient and unofficial (where it is very common to find mismatched obverse and reverse), it is not called a mule but a hybrid.
Andreas Reich

Offline Legatus

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 03:30:49 pm »
Thanks, I need to remember about numiswiki.  I think this is the second time I've been directed there.  Again, thanks

"The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones"

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:00:36 pm »
Your coin is a modern fake I am afraid.

This is another one I saw a few years ago.

Here is the fake report:-

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-5492

The same obverse die was used to create other fakes also muled with Gordian III reverses:-

There are other examples in the fake reports.

Regards,
Martin

Offline Legatus

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:50:28 pm »
I had a feeling from the first that I obtained the coin.  I was told it was a mule when it was sold, but I really had very little idea of what that was.  I have it listed in my catolog as a probable fake.  I will put it on the Fakes Report later today.  Thanks for the input.  Like someone said, "if you have a feeling there may be something wrong, go with your feeling".

All coins are guaranteed for eternity