Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin Photography for Dummies  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Coin Photography for Dummies
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:37:47 pm »
I've read a lot of the threads here.  I've read Doug Smith's pages on photography several times.  I'm no photographer, and I don't understand most of what I'm reading.  This may explain why my pictures are atrocious.  Can anyone give me some basics on coin photography.  I have a decent camera, but all I know is point and shoot with auto-focus.  I get decent pictures that way, but lighting is my major challenge.  I've tried sunlight which leaves a glare.  I've tried the camera flash, but again, a glare.  I've tried indirect sunlight which is how most of the coins in my gallery were shot, but I can only take pictures in the middle of the day that way.  I got a tripod for stability.  I bought lamps to try artificial light, but when I used the lamps, I got a funny pink tint.  Why?  Is there a special kind of bulb I need?  The coin shown here is one of my favorite coins (Tiberius drachm, my own alternative "Tribute Penny"), but the picture is horrible.  I don't have a clue about speeds, F stops, adjusting colors, or any type of photo editing software

Can anyone make some general recommendations for coin photography at a very basic level for the non-photographer? 

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
Re: Coin Photography for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:45:16 pm »
Hi Lucas,
Your post sound like I could have wrote it!
I think I was asking the same questions about a month ago, and since then I have been reading all I could online, joining photo forums,asking many basic questions,
Endless web sites and blogs discussing aperture, ISO, shutter speed, focusing etc, all the digital camera features to improve macro shots.
All to learn how to take photo's of my coins. After about a month of this and a bottle of aspirin, I can tell you, I am more confused now that when I began!
One thing I did learn is no amount of reading will substitute for actually taking photos and learning form them.
Take shots and remember the setting and read the EXIF data.

In my opinion, to begin with, first thing to do is:
Get a steady shot, tripod,copy board, and use  the 2 second timer or a remote switch.
get the lighting right,set up the coin and try not to get glare or shinny spots on the coin.
I use 2, 40w Reveal bulbs in small goose neck lamps,at 1:00 and 7:00,
I am adjusting distance/position and working with light diffusers,sheets of paper, plastic and tinfoil reflectors adjusting everything and still not satisfied.

Manual or automatic focus, I'm still not sure myself, guess it depends on your lens, but other macro photographers suggest manual.
When it comes to exposure, I did many experiments, I have the camera set to macro, lens @ 10-15 cm from the coin.
While everything depends on lighting and the coin itself, I think I have an exposure starting point:
ISO 80, F8, 0"3(1/3) seconds. That's where I begin and adjust everything accordingly, that where I have problems, refining the exposure.
For silver coins, I didn't like the auto white balance and tungsten worked well.
I think you need a lower ISO for clarity and a higher F stop # for depth of field, that makes the opening smaller, and I think the timing kind of balances things out.

That sums up my beginners process, I attached what I think is my best so far, I'm still trying to get the shinny spots out.
Good luck,
Brian

Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: Coin Photography for Dummies
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:38:45 am »
Lucas: What camera do you have?  Can you set auto white balance?  That should help your pink tint.  Or custom white balance?  More complicated, but better.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity