Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Best of Type Challenge: ATG Drachms  (Read 2589 times)

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Best of Type Challenge: ATG Drachms
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 03:31:20 am »
I do hope we'll get some other candidates here. In these challenges, one forum rule should not apply and that is 'be nice'!  :evil:
I don't have any to challenge yours, unfortunately.

EDIT: I see that you chose from different owners but the principle still applies.
Andreas Reich

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 03:43:56 am »
Actually, I think there is a flaw here when people only vote on those coins that are already in the BOT gallery.
There are some really nice ones that are not in BOT (yet).

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-50107

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-44444

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-42058

And thinking about it, isn't there room for more than one ATG drachm in the gallery?
One per mint? Or more? I don't think, I could ever choose one to represent the whole type.
I don't mean to nitpick but there's a lot to consider.

Andreas Reich

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 04:41:51 am »
I suggest that the key to objectivity is a competition such as this is that everyone who votes must cast a vote on all three, not just the one he favors.  Thus a forced ranking at the individual voter level is made and summed across all voters so that the final total vote reflects the first, second and third preferences of all voters.  Otherwise we don't capture individual voter preferences which is essential to an accurate ranking .... think about it! 8)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 01:29:11 pm »
And thinking about it, isn't there room for more than one ATG drachm in the gallery?
One per mint? Or more? I don't think, I could ever choose one to represent the whole type.

Surely all three will have different Price numbers, probably different mints. I think there should be room for more than one ATG tet!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 04:29:37 pm »
Surely all three will have different Price numbers, probably different mints. I think there should be room for more than one ATG tet!

The rule is that coins compete only with coins of the same attribution.  So, different Price numbers, if given in the attribution do not compete against each other.  If someone were to add a ATG tet without any attribution other than "ATG tet" it would have to have a higher rating than every other ATG tet to remain.  If it does have a higher rating than all the other ATG tets, it stays but none of the other ATG tets get deleted because they are still the BOT for their specifically attributed type.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 04:51:34 pm »

The rule is that coins compete only with coins of the same attribution.  So, different Price numbers, if given in the attribution do not compete against eachother.  If someone were to add a ATG tet without any attribution other than "ATG tet" it would have to have a higher rating than every other ATG tet to remain.  If it does have a higher rating than all the other ATG tets, it stays but none of the other ATG tets get deleted because they are still the BOT for their specifically attributed type

Should we include the Price number in the title? or is it enough to be listed in the description?
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 05:04:38 pm »
I would like if everyone put it in the title, but flexibility is the rule because not everyone will read this post or even remember it if they do.  In the description is good enough.  If I see two the same, I will probably modify the titles to ensure they are next to each other and that a challenge is clear.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline El Reye

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 04:25:55 pm »
Do you have to create a gallery to post best of type coins?

Cameron
“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.”
Aesop   Greek slave & fable author (620 BC - 560 BC)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 08:28:09 am »
Do you have to create a gallery to post best of type coins?

Cameron

No, it is one of the theme galleries.  If you create your own, it will be in the wrong place.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity