Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Testing a coin for silver  (Read 1802 times)

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
Testing a coin for silver
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:29:41 pm »
Given that there are a lot of silvery looking fakes out there I thought I would share a simple and non-destructive test for silver. It involves only a commercial 10K gold testing solution (dilute nitric acid) and a rubbing stone. This, a little table salt and a toothpick as well as a suspect coin are all you need (Pic 1)

I used the edge of my cracked Philip I antoninian (~30% silver) to make a light metal rubbing (pic #2) followed by one drop of the testing solution. Any metal but gold dissolves in a few seconds giving a colorless drop (pic3). The toothpick is wetted with the table salt solution and dipped in the droplet. If silver is present the droplet quickly turns milky white (pic#4)

Note 1) Duh, be careful of nitric acid. If it gets on your hands wash it off quickly or it will make your skin yellow for a while.

Note 2) The test is sensitive and you should be hardly be able to detect where you rubbed the coin. Only a very little metal is needed.

Note 3) This method is better than using a standard silver-testing solution which involves placing acid on the coin and is designed to mainly determine whether the silver is high-grade sterling or not.

Offline ickster

• Caesar
Re: Testing a coin for silver
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 01:39:47 am »
An interesting take on an old steam engineering test. We used to take silver nitrate -which you get by adding the nitrate to the silver rubbing- then add a few drops of sample boiler water to it. If it turned milky, salt was present in the water and it couldn't be used (it would foam up when boiling).

In this case, if there is no silver, you don't get silver nitrate, and therefore no milky trace when the salt is added.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity