Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Proper orientation of portrait  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Proper orientation of portrait
« on: May 13, 2011, 05:32:57 pm »
Hello All!

I scanned through all the threads in this section so if I'm repeating a topic, please forgive me.

Something I've been wondering about for a while is the proper orientation of the portrait.

I've included 3 pics of the same coin. Based on the angle of the neck, the first one leans to the left, the middle one is vertical and the third leans to the right.

Interestingly (at least to me), each orientation seems to denote something different: gazing up seems to indicate a thoughtful attitude, level gaze seems to indicate a person of action and gazing downward seems to indicate a pensive mood. Any other thoughts on this?

Is the neck always the indicator of correct orientation?

With the exception of the "eyes to God" coins, should the eyes always be looking 90 degrees horizontally?

Is it different for all coins?

Any other tips?

Thanks!

mz

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Proper orientation of portrait
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:34:44 pm »
There is some subjectivity, certainly, but familiarity with Imperial busts and standing portraits does suggest that your first one is right, that is, what a Roman would not find anything noticeable about.
My own practice is analogous to that for a standing figure, where the 7th cervical lines up with the heel of the supporting leg (we usually do have at least subtle contrapposto, sometimes more, following Greek precedents).
That is, I like to imagine a plumb line from the top of the cranium through to the center, as it were, of the neck; that LOOKS right-side-up and comfortable (based on Roman art) to me.
Note that the designers of modern portraits on postage stamps, such as those of Elizabeth II, are that way.
Pat L.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:27:02 pm »
Pat,

Yes, I see it now. The first (top) picture seems to be correct, at least for this particular coin.

Do you have a diagram illustrating what you were talking about with regard to a standing figure?

Any other comments?

Thanks!
mz

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:48:56 pm »
Well, this was right at the bottom of the page, and it will do nicely.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?radd=1&vpar=18&zpg=63670
Pat

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 10:00:12 am »
Pat,

Yes, I see that, too. There seems to be something "correct" about that posture.

Thank you again :)

mz

bruno v

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 01:35:44 pm »
Ribbons should be vertical

All coins are guaranteed for eternity