Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin organization software for a mac  (Read 1903 times)

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Coin organization software for a mac
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:48:10 am »
   So for a number of reasons I have/am converting part of my network at home to a mac. I am now using a mac in the work area I mess with my coins and such. Though I like the stability, graphics, of a mac, I have lost a few things along the way. One is my File maker open source coin cabinet software that I had photographed, and filed over 700 of my Byzantines ...... Though I have another windows machine it is in another part of the house. Does anyone here use a mac and have found a system that works for them, I dread of course refiling all the data, I think it might be a excuse to sell off my extras and focus a bit more..... but anyway I drift. I am interested in feedback for mac compatible coin organization software.

thanks

cw

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: Coin organization software for a mac
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:14:59 am »
You must be holding your computer wrong.  It wasn't meant to be held like a normal computer.  /shrug.

That is how Steve Jobs fixes things.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:46:47 am »
There's never a reason to enter data twice, there's always a way to export and then import data to another system (once you find one). Even on a Mac.
Andreas Reich

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:49:21 pm »
I agree with the data entry

not sure about holding the computer  ;D

cw

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 08:02:00 am »

not sure about holding the computer  ;D

cw

Don't tell that to Apple.  You may get yelled at.  Remember it is not their fault.  It is yours...  ;)

You should buy the expensive accessories to go with your Apple product.  That will fix it.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 06:59:53 pm »
Assuming that Extensis has got the new version for the new Macs, and as I recall they have, all you need is Extensis Portfolio.  I haven't had to re-enter anything (excepting my early errors of attribution), and I have been using and just updating the version ever since my first PowerMac running OS 7 (as I recall) 20 years ago.  Everything I enter in File Info and all the Keywords comes across into Portfolio and onto Forvm and (with some comical issues with special characters) in everything that Google can throw at it, besides, naturally, all Adobe products in the Creative Suite.
For example, I go to Portfolio and choose one of my first coins, locating it by any of a half dozen keywords, bought when I had only half a dozen.  Under Item in Portfolio I go to Properties and find, well, what I knew at the time I bought this coin:
• 7 VII 99  Sestertius (29mm,18.31g).  Rome 195 AD.  Julia Domna  IVLI]A AVGVSTA.  Cybele, mater deum.
(my first acquisition was of 24 V 99)
The image is a plain flatbed scan, all I had at the time capable of imaging coins.
The keywords would be:  coin  bronze  Rome  sestertius  Severan  Julia_Domna   Cybele  Mater_Deum  (but on a Mac I don't have to insert the _).
One can do lots more, but on an everyday basis that takes care of it, provided of course that I enter the data in the first place.  I might have completed the ID of my Domna sestertius, but it pleases me to remind myself that I knew nothing whatever (I got that label from the coin's listing) for about six months, not even how to use the 1980s one-volume version of Sear RCV properly.  I soon learned that Provincials needed to be properly identified!
Pat L.

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 06:20:51 pm »
Hmmmm thanks Pat,

That is what I am looking for, a little more pricy than what I wanted to spend but I see they have a trial product to check out

Thanks

cw

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 06:55:21 pm »
What's better, you can organize all sorts of things in it.  Like the price, the learning curve to master it fully is a bit steep, but it has the advantage of letting you adjust and keyword as the different coins require.  I have had it since 1989, one version after another.
And if you want to share a Gallery from a Portfolio Album with a friend that has a PC, that's OK, too.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity