Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin Storage  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Fides

• Praetorian
Coin Storage
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:12:04 am »
Okay, so my collection has expanded quite rapidly recently and I really don't know how best to store my coins. They range from denarii to dupodii and asses - so a size range of c.15mm-25ish,mm. I'm really anxious to care for them properly - especially the bronze ones lest they corrode.

What do you guys think? I'm torn between putting them in a nice wooden, lined and compartmentalised presentation box and more secure (but less striking) storage in paper/vinyl flips. How do you store yours and why do you think that is best?

Any advice would be nice!

Matt

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Coin Storage
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 10:26:25 am »
Paper should be acid-free, plastic PVC free (though plastic might still promote 'bronze disease' by trapping moisture) and the best wood is mahogany (I forget exactly what the others do that's so bad). I use simple stackable plastic trays lined with felt. Not optimal if you travel with your coins as it will wear the coins over years but that's not a problem for me. They're practicable and cheap and I think they're available in the US as Lighthouse trays. Low humidity is very important for bronzes so if in doubt buy lots of Silica packets.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:34:46 am »
You are growing old too fast TR P.

Offline Fides

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 10:55:08 am »
Well I do move around a bit, and when I leave for periods of time I like to take them with me rather than leave them in an empty house (for obvious reasons!). At the moment they're just kept in this felt lined presentation box (see pic). I'm ideally searching for something that stores them securely (i.e., stops them rolling around, flipping and coming loose in transit). Do you have any suggestions?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 11:18:41 am »
Quote from: Fides on April 13, 2011, 10:55:08 am
Well I do move around a bit, and when I leave for periods of time I like to take them with me rather than leave them in an empty house (for obvious reasons!). At the moment they're just kept in this felt lined presentation box (see pic). I'm ideally searching for something that stores them securely (i.e., stops them rolling around, flipping and coming loose in transit). Do you have any suggestions?

If you like those presentation boxes then Abafil cases may be what you want. They come in briefcases of various dimensions from huge to petite, the trays themselves are not plastic and not plastic flock but wood and velvet so look even better, and the boxes with trays are made to be transported with handles etc. The coin trays fit snugly when the box is closed and for added security you could add a little padding to ensure the trays are well compressed together during travel and don't let thin and small coins escape. This is what I do when I travel with them on flights.

Here is what my coins look like in these trays - this doesn't talk to their portability, but the cases are intended to be carried as briefcases (though the largest size has the handle on top, which is better as the coins remain flat in transit)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157625834732478/detail/

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 10:50:03 am »
Personally I don't think you can beat those display trays for quality and "class" of presentation unless it is with an old style multi-drawer wooden coin cabinet.

However, in terms of travel utility I did see that one of the European dealers (Lighthouse/Leuchturn, or maybe Linder) had a felt coin wallet that was made of many pockets.  In went the coins then the whole thing was rolled up.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Fides

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:49:04 pm »
Quote from: Fides on April 13, 2011, 10:55:08 am

If you like those presentation boxes then Abafil cases may be what you want. They come in briefcases of various dimensions from huge to petite, the trays themselves are not plastic and not plastic flock but wood and velvet so look even better, and the boxes with trays are made to be transported with handles etc. The coin trays fit snugly when the box is closed and for added security you could add a little padding to ensure the trays are well compressed together during travel and don't let thin and small coins escape. This is what I do when I travel with them on flights.

Here is what my coins look like in these trays - this doesn't talk to their portability, but the cases are intended to be carried as briefcases (though the largest size has the handle on top, which is better as the coins remain flat in transit)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157625834732478/detail/

Yeah I like the idea of that very much... kinda retains the nice presentation of a box with the portability I need. I searched 'Abafil' but am getting no results  ??? Could you link me to a page, if that's not too much to ask?

Thanks for your advice!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 09:55:37 pm »
Quote from: Fides on April 27, 2011, 09:49:04 pm
Yeah I like the idea of that very much... kinda retains the nice presentation of a box with the portability I need. I searched 'Abafil' but am getting no results  ??? Could you link me to a page, if that's not too much to ask?

Thanks for your advice!

Spink sell them in the UK (but not via their website so you'd need to mail or phone them)
Waddell sells them in the US. http://coin.com/cases/

If you go for Abafil, go for the luxe trays. They are expensive anyway so there's no point then choosing plastic trays.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity