Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Broken Mark Antony-What now?  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Broken Mark Antony-What now?
« on: April 05, 2011, 02:41:34 pm »
Hi Everyone.  I purchased this broken and heavily crystallized denarius of Mark Antony.  It's a scarcer type and one that usually sells for big money.  I got it for cheap.  The question now is what do do with it?  I generally know where the pieces go but it is not complete and the pieces that are there don't fit right up to the other pieces as it's not a clean break.  I wanted to keep everything together and in place.  Perhaps a small piece of plaster cine? Then only one side would be visible.  What are my options here?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Broken Mark Antony-What now?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:59:43 pm »
Hi Everyone.  I purchased this broken and heavily crystallized denarius of Mark Antony.  It's a scarcer type and one that usually sells for big money.  I got it for cheap.  The question now is what do do with it?  I generally know where the pieces go but it is not complete and the pieces that are there don't fit right up to the other pieces as it's not a clean break.  I wanted to keep everything together and in place.  Perhaps a small piece of plaster cine? Then only one side would be visible.  What are my options here?

Gosh. It's in bits.

Have a look at my Labienus, it might inspire confidence. Unfortunately I didn't fix it myself, so no advice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/3410435426

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 03:04:01 pm »
Thanks Andrew...unfortunately these are all the pieces I have.  Is that a paste like glue or is it just lighting? And what to do about the crystallization?

BTW that is a fantastic coin!

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:20:28 pm »
I have a couple broken coins that I placed in a cardboard 2x2 flip. They are tight enough to hold the pieces in place, and it helps it get tighter to move the staples as close as you can to the hole.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 03:37:49 pm »
That's an option but none of my other coins are in flips or holders.  They're all in trays. 

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 04:35:39 pm »
perhaps you could try one of those moldable bezels, the kind jewelers use to mount coins. if the pieces fit together with any integrity at all maybe that will hold them in place.
good luck.

~ Peter

edit;
i still think Randy's idea is the best. you could cut the flip into a round shape to fit into your tray, and maybe even color it to match.
this would keep all the pieces in one place in a way that still lets the coin be handled and viwed in its entirety, while leaving the pieces untouched until a better method of restoring them comes along.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 05:04:46 pm »
Thanks guys.  I went out on a limb and tried the crazy glue method.  It worked!  I spent about half an hour figuring out where the 3 big pieces fit in.  I managed to salvage Antony's name!  The glue is holding quit well except I accidentally stuck the paper under the coin to the coin!  I will wait until it has cured before I attempt to remove it, then I will see if the small pieces can be glued. What do you think?

I wonder, is there some kind of silver solder I could use to fill in the spaces and help stabilize the coin?  I'll probably never sell this, I got it cheap enough that I don't mind experimenting on it.  It's very brittle. 

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 06:16:43 pm »
Jay,

I think you are doing a fantastic job as-is!  I would keep on going and then just be careful with the coin.  Even if it is brittle, I wouldn't try any silver type solder or anything.  Just treat it gently!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 07:33:42 pm »
Jay,

I think you are doing a fantastic job as-is!  I would keep on going and then just be careful with the coin.  Even if it is brittle, I wouldn't try any silver type solder or anything.  Just treat it gently!

I agree totally...you may have to acetone off the paper as it is probably part of the glue forevermore, but...wow! Great job! (nifty coin, too!)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 07:39:52 pm »
Jay,

I agree totally...you may have to acetone off the paper as it is probably part of the glue forevermore, but...wow! Great job! (nifty coin, too!)

Chris

Yes, I was thinking acetone too.  Put a little on a q-tip so you don't get it on your other glued areas.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 09:07:40 pm »
Thanks Andrew...unfortunately these are all the pieces I have.  Is that a paste like glue or is it just lighting? And what to do about the crystallization?

BTW that is a fantastic coin!

From what I can see it looks like some sort of cement or glue, but not the transparent type. I don't think it's solder. It looks exactly as it looks.

Below is pictured one I assembled earlier from 117 separate parts (kidding!).

Here's something else to think about. Note the obverse and reverse orientation below. Exactly. Antony is standing on the obverse, and his main titles are of course on the same side. It's one of the few coins where I've the "head" as reverse.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 10:20:15 pm »
Thanks guys.  I just wanted the glue to cure before I hit it with acetone.

Andrew yes I just noticed that I have it the wrong way on my picture.  Looking at Sear's Imperator's book he also has it with the head as the reverse.  Antony's coins are so interesting, especially during this time.  He's in Athens with Octavia getting ready for the Parthian invasion after wasting his time with Octavian in Italy.  Great stuff...

Scribonius Probus

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 12:52:07 am »
Jay:

If you still intend on trying to infill the voids, maybe you could try using colored sealing wax.... the same stuff that you use to make intaglio impressions. It would give you a few seconds of soft time to shape and flatten the blob in each void .... and the process is reversible if you don't like the result... just apply heat.  Silver is one of the standard colors available. It dries a dull silver gray though, rather than bright, so it will contrast with the silver of the coin. In our area, it's sold in candle form at Michaels Arts & Crafts stores, and I think I've seen them at Curry's art supply stores as well.

Gary

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 08:38:22 am »
Quote from: Scribonius Probus on April 06, 2011, 12:52:07 am
Jay:

If you still intend on trying to infill the voids, maybe you could try using colored sealing wax.... the same stuff that you use to make intaglio impressions. It would give you a few seconds of soft time to shape and flatten the blob in each void .... and the process is reversible if you don't like the result... just apply heat.  Silver is one of the standard colors available. It dries a dull silver gray though, rather than bright, so it will contrast with the silver of the coin. In our area, it's sold in candle form at Michaels Arts & Crafts stores, and I think I've seen them at Curry's art supply stores as well.

Gary

Gary that's exactly what i was looking for. Thanks! I will go get some today. There is a Curry's not far from me.

I fit all the pieces in late last night. The void under Sols crown is now filled in. I will post a picture later today. It actually is starting to look like a coin again! 

I wonder if there is somthing i can put over the entire coin now that it is all glued together just as an added protection. Maybe a clear nail polish?  Any suggestions?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 05:29:24 pm »
Here he is all together...

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 05:38:14 pm »
This will probably get shot down, but maybe just use some renaissance wax or conservators wax like people do on bronze coins.  Not sure if that is the type of protection you are looking for though.  If you are thinking of trying to strengthen the matrix some more, not sure what will help very much.  You already have super glue on it! :)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 10:12:40 pm »
Here it is in my gallery:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-66135

I'm pretty happy with it.  It's pretty solid.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 10:28:01 pm »
Well done Jay.  You've saved a very important coin there  ;)

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 02:50:19 am »
Very good job. I was wondering how you would proceed. The result is quite convincing

Regards
Potator

All coins are guaranteed for eternity