Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Opinions please  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Xerxes King of Kings

• Consul
  • I am kind...
Opinions please
« on: March 23, 2011, 01:51:18 pm »
I've been experimenting with different backgrounds and would like some feedback from members on these, are the backgrounds too loud, do they distract from coin detail, any suggestions? thanks :)

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
Re: Opinions please
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 02:42:17 pm »
With a handle like King of Kings you would need to go with the purple.  Realisticly though I think it will depend a little on the color of the coin  While the silver will look good on most your colors the brass or brown/red you get from Bronze or copper will vary.  so bottom line go with what ever you like that is all that matters.l

Good Luck
Pete

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:09:09 pm »
Nothing personal but I find all colored (or textured) backgrounds distracting or even corny.
Andreas Reich

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 08:32:47 pm »
I agree with Andreas.  I might suggest, rather than 'corny', that satiny-looking purple for a king or kings is for art calendars sold at Wal-Mart and (if they still exist) bookstalls at railway stations.  In other words, they are for folks who don't have much of an eye for the coins.  Sometimes a light and rather neutral background can flatter the coin more subtlly, especially if it is natural, not done in Photoshop.
Pat L.

Offline dafnis

• Consul
  • ad astra per aspera.
    • Numismática Antigua
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:32:57 am »
I agree with both Andreas and Pat... white background works best. Maybe black if you do not like white...

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 10:34:48 am »
I agree with both Andreas and Pat... white background works best. Maybe black if you do not like white...

I like the NAC yellow.

• Consul
  • I am kind...
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »
Thanks guys and gals (and Benito!) I was just bored with my usual white and black, unlike the majority of your galleries, I have to beef up my humble collection with exotic/corny backgrounds, I concede defeat, the revolution has failed, back to the blackboard:

:afro:

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 03:26:25 pm »
That's a nice Vima Kadphises.  Is it really pure copper and so orange as the photo?  Mine are grubbier, and, yes, copper, but not quite so coppery in photo.  Pat L.
P.S.  These are only acquisition snapshots, taken over a photographer's gray card to help control exposure and color control.
CLICK to maximize image quality

• Consul
  • I am kind...
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 09:22:52 pm »
I believe it is copper, however it's got that 'cleaned old collection' look about it, I have an over-cleaned Vima that’s even more orange! The colour of the coin I posted has been adjusted from the photo but only to make it appear as it looks (to me atleast) in hand. For comparison, here are two bronzes from my collection of his son Kanishka, both uncleaned and cleaned.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 11:31:41 pm »
I greatly admire your uncleaned Kanishka!  Not only because it isn't stripped.  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity