Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Usurper Julian of Pannonia (284-285 AD): his names, reign, career, coinage  (Read 2709 times)

SEstiot

Those interested in numismatics of the 3rd century AD could find of some use this article I published in Revue Numismatique 166 (Paris, 2010), p. 397-418. This is the link to its downloadable version:
http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00567306/fr/
Best wishes to all,
S. Estiot
Abstract – A bronze medallion in the name of the usurper Julianus, also known as Julian of Pannonia (284-285 AD), currently kept among the dubious and fakes in Cabinet des Médailles, Bibliothèque nationale de France, has been re-examined. It may be concluded that the coin is genuine and for now the only proof that Julianus minted medallions alongside gold aurei and silvered-bronze radiates (aureliani). This unpublished medallion offers the opportunity to review this short reign, addressing the dates, names and titles of the usurper in the light of the ancient sources and propose a corpus of the coinage minted in his name.

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
I would like to take the opportunity to make a link between two subjects  discussed in this Forum at the moment:

A. When an emperor looks like his predecessor, and
B. The article about the usurper Julianus of Pannonia.

(My limited ability with computers does not allow me to post pictures of the  coins concerned. Nevertheless I wanted to raise the question).

Under A. When an emperor looks like his predecessor.

The phenomenon is relatively common during the third century A.D. in particular in the mints of Gaul for antoniniani (GALLIENUS/POSTUMUS and MARIUS/VICTORINUS).

By the way, there are a few coins of Carinus, Numerianus and Magnia Urbica  of the issue SMSXXIA-I¨, minted in Siscia, which deserve to be compared to the aureliani of Julianus of Pannonia in order to check if such a phenomenon also occurred  there. Amongst others published in catalogues here follow the most pertinent aureliani:

- Carinus, cuirassed bust seen from front (officinae A and B, reverse VOTA PUBLICA): Emporium-Hamburg, Auktion 43, n° 424, 18-19.V.2000 ; H.J.Berk, Sale 94, n° 651, 16.I.1997 ; H. Lanz, Auktion 82, n° 709, 24.XI.1997; H.J. Berk, Sale 90, n° 395, 17.IV.1996, Munzzentrum Auktion 82, n° 876, 6-8.IX.1995.

- Numerianus, draped cuirassed bust seen from rear (officina I¨, reverse VOTA PUBLICA): CGF, Vso XXVIII, n° 365, 8.II.2007; Emporium-Hamburg Auktion 53, n° 724, 19-20.V.2005; H.J.Berk, Sale 83, n° 863, 26.X. 1994,- coin  illustrated (fig.2) in the article of  BCEN, 32,3, p. 60-.

- Numerianus, cuirassed bust seen fron front (officina I¨, reverse VOTA PUBLICA): H.D.Rauch, Sale, 23.IX.2005, n° 1205.

- Magnia Urbica, draped bust on crescent seen from front (officina A, reverse SALUS PUBLICA): NAC Auction 39, n° 827, 16.V.2007; H. Lanz, Auktion 117, n° 1206, 24.XI.2003; H.D Rauch, Auktion 58, n° 573, 28.X.1996. 

1. Can it be considered that the above mentioned aureliani of Carinus, Numerianus and Magnia Urbica, minted in Siscia (issue SMSXXIA-I¨), looks like those of  Julianus of Pannonia because:

a. some features of the realistic portrait of Julianus are still present in the portrait on the obverse of  these coins of Carinus, Numerianus and even Magnia Urbica ?

b.  obverse  portraits of these coins have large heads like all the aureliani of Julianus when the normal obverse portrait is rather with a small or medium size head for the aureliani of  Carinus, Numerianus and Magnia Urbica in Siscia ?

The same phenomenon also occurs with aurei minted in Siscia at that time. Compare obverses of n° 4379 (Carinus), n° 4311 and n° 4322 (Numerianus) published by X.Calico (Los Aureos Romanos, Barcelona, 2002)  with obverses of Julianus n° 4413 and n° 4416. The same remark can be made for the aureus of Magnia Urbica n° 4406.

2. Can it be considered, if the answer is yes to point A.1, that these coins have been minted after those of Julianus of Pannonia in Siscia ? And that this is the only possible explanation to the likeliness of the portraits (probably already existing dies being slightly modified and used in urgency and/or real portrait of absent emperors being unknown at the begining of the issue). If not, what is the other explanation for such a fact?

If the answer to point A.2 is yes, the conclusions are: firstly at Siscia the issue of Julianus of Pannonia (SA-I¨XXI) is followed by an issue of Divo Caro, Carinus and Numerianus Augusti and Magnia Urbica Augusta (SMSXXIA-I¨), secondly as Numerianus was dead by November 20th 284 A.D. (and deified at Rome by end 284-begining 285 AD –see DIVO NUMERIANO coins), Julianus of Pannonia could not have been in power by end 284-begining 285 A.D.

Under B. The article about Julianus of Pannonia.

If the conclusions, based on facts, under A.1 and A.2 are acceptable then what happens if they are applied to the date of the usurpation of  Julian of Pannonia.

1. Can, on this basis, the following order of succession of mint marks at Siscia be considered as a appropriate one ?

a. Carus et sui (XXIA-I¨) long lasting issue (reverse VIRTUS AUGG), ending with a few consecration coins of Carus (CONSECRATIO AUG) and shortened obverse legends (IMP C CARINUS/NUMERIANUS PF AUG) in its last phase  is to be dated after the death of Carus (September 283 A.D.) and was ended shortly thereafter by the usurpation of Julianus of Pannonia.

b. Then Julianus issued coins at Siscia with a mint mark mentioning the city of Siscia that was probably his headquarters (S[Siscia]A-I¨XXI) from September to December 283 AD.

c. Afterwards, once  Julianus  has been defeated and killed in Italy and Siscia taken over by Carinus a very well structured issue with a special and complex mint mark (S[Sacra]M[Moneta]S[Sisciensis]XXIA-I¨ was minted from December 283 to March 284 A.D. Carinus kept the name of  the reconquered city (Siscia) in the mint mark to ease local difficulties but added that it was a sacred mint city (Sacra Moneta) because it was now in the power of  the  legitimate ruler.

2. Can it be considered, when looking closely to the very special SMSXXIA-I¨ issue, which contains the peculiar coins mentioned under A.1, that the legends of the reverses give a strong impression of a propaganda based on a return to a legitimate order after an usurpation? The founder of the dynasty, Carus, is now a God (CONSECRATIO AUG), Carinus and Numerianus (VOTA PUBLICA) take a joint consulate for 284 A.D. ensuring thus that the legal institutions are working orderly and Magnia Urbica (SALUS PUBLICA) confirm that the crisis is over.

In a second phase the legends of the reverses develop the prospects of a favorable future: under the cover of the Divo Caro, Carinus, now head of the dynasty, is protected by Jupiter (IOVI CONSER), Carinus and particularly Numerianus  are both sure of the loyalty of the army (FIDES EXERCIT AUGG) and Magnia Urbica married to Carinus in summer 283 A.D. is under the protection of Venus (VENUS GENETRIX), perhaps expecting a child.

Moreover if the coins of Carinus, Numerianus and Magnia Urbica looking like those of Julianus of Pannonia give the right order of the issues in Siscia for the period, those coins of Carinus and above all those of Numerianus with the reverse VOTA PUBLICA give a precise date as they are linked to the joint consulate of Carinus and Numerianus starting in January 284 A.D.

The same conclusion can be drawn from the aurei with the reverse PM TR I P COS P P which were minted in Siscia at the end of 283-begining 284 A.D. ( X. Calico, n°4311 and  n°4352).

By the end 283 A.D. Julianus of Pannonia has been eliminated.

3. So, finally, credit can be given to Aurelius Victor (Liber de Caesaribus paragraphs 38 and 39) when he clearly states that Julianus rebelled once the news of the death of Carus were known (Cari morte cognita). His text is focused on the events in the East  that he discribes up to the access to power of Diocletianus (November 20th 284 A.D.), such an important figure that he is immediatly portrayed and evaluated. So, the events in the West are difficult to include in the story and sound a little anecdotic. They are however included in the text through an adverb of time: meanwhile (interim) refering to the period opened by the death of Carus (Numerianus, amisso patre) and with two sentences the author indicates precisely the date of the usurpation (Cari morte cognita), the location of the defeat and death of Julianus (battle of Verona) and the consequences of the victory of Carinus: a march by Carinus towards Illyricum (Siscia).

At this point, to shorten the story and reach quickly the final battle between Carinus and the already mentioned Diocletianus, he merged two similar actions by Carinus and considers the movement of Carinus to meet the army of Diocletianus (Spring 285 A.D.) on the Margus as a simple extension of the one Carinus has made about one year and a half before to fight Julianus of Pannonia (Autumn 283 A.D.).There is no mistake by Aurelius Victor who mentioned several rebellions but is short in details about the year 284 A.D.

4. In fact, Carinus moved very quickly in the Autumn 283 A.D., probably from Rhetia or Upper Rhine limes to northern Italy where he defeated the army of Julianus (battle of Verona), who was moving there to cut Carinus from his basis (Ticinum) and to get at Rome a recognition from the Senate, an advantage in a future competition. Carinus went after the battle to Siscia where he stayed at least till spring 284 AD.

At the end of 284 AD Carinus made a second similar movement through Italy (from Rome to Siscia) but it was then a much slower and wider move to gather as much troops as possible before meeting the army of Diocletianus on the Margus in Mesia, far beyond Illyricum he strongly controlled since end 283 A.D.

5. Finally, Julianus’ usurpation in Autumn 283 A.D. could have been a successfull one because of a central position, with a prince dead (Carus), a young one far away commanding a retreating army through Mesopotania (Numerianus) and the last one (Carinus) isolated and busy fighting on the limes. Through a quick grasp on Italy he could have made a decisive action gaining him a final advantage. A swift move by Carinus prevented this in the Autumn 283 A.D. On the contrary, Julianus’usurpation at the end of 284 A.D. would have made his central position a very dangerous one. The eastern army is much nearer (Nicomedia) and under the command of an experimented prince (Diocletianus) who is in control of the East, and Carinus has had one year to stabilize the situation and is in control of the West. Julianus would have had to fight on both fronts: always a desperate situation.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
RIC V/2, 5; C. 8

Jochen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity