Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Discussion Profile Avatar help  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Discussion Profile Avatar help
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:50:11 am »
I have tried to add an "avatar" for my discussion profile.  I'm assuming this is the nifty picture many people have under their name on the discussion boards.  I tried one jpeg file, and I got a message indicating it was too large or not an avatar.  I shrank it and got the same message.  I tried another jpeg type file of one of my coins in my gallery (just the reverse of one coin actually), and I got the same message. 

Does anyone have any advice on this topic? 

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Discussion Profile Avatar help
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:58:10 am »
Quote from: Lucas H on February 17, 2011, 08:50:11 am
I tried one jpeg file, and I got a message indicating it was too large or not an avatar.  I shrank it and got the same message. 

Shrink it more  ;D

Best regards

BarbarianHoard

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 11:16:49 am »
I checked the file size of 7 or 8 member's avatars, and the largest among those is 27 KB. So, if you can shrink yours down so that it is 27 KB or smaller, you should be fine.

In addition, all of them were jpg format except one, which was gif. I don't recommend gif, as it isn't intended for highly detailed images with subtle color variations, and probably won't look as good, unless your avatar is a cartoon image or something similar.

Hope this helps.

-BH

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:36:46 am »
I had a lot of trouble with my avatar, and I finally figured out that file size was not my limiting factor.  The pixel width was my problem.  I shrunk to image to something like 70x70 pixels and that did the trick.

Incidentally, I chose my avatar because my 6 year-old daughter said it looked like me.  I showed her a Julius Caesar and an Augustus in the hope that she thought I looked like one of them, but she didn't.  At least she doesn't think I look like Vespasian or Titus.  At least not yet!

Cliff
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Online *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:37:38 pm »
The maximum allowed size for avatars are 85 x 200 pixels.

Alex.

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:20:09 pm »
I like turning the background of my avatar invisible, instead of white.
My avatar is a .gif file, so it supports invisibility, unlike Jpegs.
Every other post switches colour from light blue to white, so with an invisible background, the image looks like its background is the same colour as the pages background.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

BarbarianHoard

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:58:47 pm »
Aarmale, I like your invisible background idea. That hadn't occurred to me.

-BH

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 12:52:19 pm »
Thank you all for the help.  I'm computer retarded.  I had my friend who is more knowledgeable than I with MS Paint help me out, and it appears to work!

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 01:39:51 pm »
Heres the pictures of your avatar as a .gif with an invisible background.  The first picture has only the outside invisible,  the second has all of the white parts invisible.

Regards,

Aarmale
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

All coins are guaranteed for eternity