Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Compare photos of the same coin  (Read 1421 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Compare photos of the same coin
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:07:39 pm »
Here are two photos of the same coin, using different techniques.  One combines two photos taken with different exposures, and completely eliminates the burnt-out highlight.  The other uses Photoshop to minimise the burnt-out area, but it is still there.

When I first tried this, I thought the version that eliminates the white highlight must be better, because it loses less information about the coin.  But the other version seems more lively, and even more realistic, and more pleasant to look at.

Which version to you prefer?

Bill

"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Compare photos of the same coin
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:07:02 pm »
Personally, I kind of like the top one.

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:23:10 am »
I have to agree the top one looks best to me also.

Pete

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 06:36:13 pm »
I'll go with the Photoshop'd one.  If the burn out really burned me (and on this one it isn't TOO bad), I'd try working with different lighting, something like window light on an overcast but not gloomy day?  Otherwise, to lose the 'detail' called 'the look and feel of metal' is more serious to me.
Pat L.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 11:28:32 pm »
To me the difference is negligible, but if I had to choose I'd go with the first one.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 01:15:51 am »
Thanks for looking and for your comments.  When I was working in Photoshop, the difference seemed greater and the first one looked somehow flat, but looking at them here, I now agree with all of you. 

Taking a second photo adds to the work, but the alignment is easy as long as I don't have to touch the setup in between shots; I can alter the camera settings from my PC.   I will write up the details of the method shortly.

To add to the variety of methods, here's the photo I was trying to improve on, taken a couple of years ago.  The darker tone results from using a shorter exposure to try to cut down the highlights.  I can do that better now; I learn more quirks of photoshopping every year. 

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity