Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crystallized coins and metal detection  (Read 1412 times)

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
Crystallized coins and metal detection
« on: November 25, 2010, 11:14:15 am »
   I'm not sure how to classify this topic but I have been looking at ways that using a metal detector to estimate a coin's conductivity may be useful to the collector (https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=64089.0 ). Recently I bougt a Q.Titius denarius which shows signs of "crystallization" otherwise known as age embrittlement. Not a serious case but the conductivity is about 1/3 that of a sound republican denarius - these being about 95+% pure silver which, of all metals, has the highest conductivity.

The method might be of use for determining whether a silver coin, especially one just found, needs special handling. Also since fakers can imitate the surface appearance of a crytallized coin , the method might be used to distinguish whether the coin is really old or artificially aged.

A "crystallized" coin tends to fracture easily and the break looks crystalline (as in the close-up photo) since the micro-grains of silver fracture along their boundaries. They no longer stretch and give the metal its usual strength and ductility.

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
Re: Crystallized coins and metal detection
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 11:16:35 am »
... and the photos

All coins are guaranteed for eternity