Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Image in Best of Type Gallery  (Read 2428 times)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
New Image in Best of Type Gallery
« on: September 10, 2010, 03:29:39 am »
Just added a nice Alexander-wearing-Elephantskin Ptolemy II bronze obol to Best of Type.  Comments please.
Link:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-59854

PtolemAE

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: New Image in Best of Type Gallery
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 03:37:21 am »
very impressive Ptolemy. your collection is making me rethink my aversion to bronze!

~ Peter

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: New Image in Best of Type Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 03:57:34 am »
very impressive Ptolemy. your collection is making me rethink my aversion to bronze!

~ Peter

Thanks for your very kind words.  The 'series' page at www.ptolemybronze.com has these and more :)

I decided very early on collecting ancients that bronze was 'it'.  Bronze coins were used by everyday ordinary folks so they got worn and moved around and not as frequently hoarded.  That makes finding good ones even harder than the (admittedly beautiful) Greek silver and gold.  Even though the superb pieces are quite rare they seem to be much more affordable for collectors than precious metal so a collection may not be cheap but relatively accessible to ordinary folks today, too.  Bronzes often have terrific artistic style even though their value was much lower than silver or gold of course.  Just finding the really good ones takes patience and perseverance.  I doubt I'll see another of this type that's this nice.

Welcome to bronze :)

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity