Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Desk  (Read 25699 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
My Desk
« on: August 29, 2010, 06:50:14 am »
Are your desks similar?

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: My Desk
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 09:55:07 am »
I envy you good sir!   :o

May I borrow some of those coins to put on my desk so I can take a picture and post as well!  :evil:

BTW, where did you get your trays and cases?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 11:02:18 am »
I envy you good sir!   :o

May I borrow some of those coins to put on my desk so I can take a picture and post as well!  :evil:

BTW, where did you get your trays and cases?

Cases are from Abafil, except one small but nice case from Nomos AG in Switzerland sold or gave as promotional items at NYINC 2008.

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:23:26 pm »
Great set up! I really would love some of those abafil trays but the're a little expensive for me. I've just bought myself one of these linder wooden case's with trays which was a little more within my budget. Can't afford to get enough for my entire collection at the moment though so most of my coins will be staying in the bog standard lindner case for the time being! Not bad for £53 I might add for these.

Adrian

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 07:16:55 pm »
Andrew I think there are even more coins on your desk than there are on mine on any given day!

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:52:20 am »
Great set up! I really would love some of those abafil trays but the're a little expensive for me. I've just bought myself one of these linder wooden case's with trays which was a little more within my budget. Can't afford to get enough for my entire collection at the moment though so most of my coins will be staying in the bog standard lindner case for the time being! Not bad for £53 I might add for these.

Adrian

Adrian,

Abafil cases are great and worth the spend in my opinion.
At first, as I couldn't aford myself one of these but was desperate to get at least the trays, I built up the box with wood and leather and put 4 proper trays in it. it's still my prefered box...

Potator

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 10:08:02 am »
You guys are on a different level than the rest of us, and I admire that :)

mz

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 12:34:47 pm »
This reminded me of a post I made over a year ago with this picture of my office desk. One year later... the photo would look almost identical, except for a white folding table beside it completely covered in coin books, coin albums, uncleaned coins, my coin photo rig and a pile of coins like the one you see below waiting to be photographed. Behind it you would see a bookshelf-lined wall full of classical and coin reference books.

The trays are very nice and much more classy than what you see below, but I tend to fancy the cheap coin album alternative, for the sake of portability and savings... allowing me to spend my money on coins and books.

Respectfully,
Danny

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 01:20:21 pm »
Admittedly, my desk doesn't always contain as much coin related "stuff", but I'm using the last couple rainy days (courtesy of Tropical Storm Hermine) to try and organize various piles of things I've acquired over the past few months.....ancients, hammered British silver, Spanish-American cobs, and even a small pile of Russian wire money.

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 01:33:51 pm »
Is that an oak rolltop desk? I've always wanted one of those with all it's nooks and crannies to store things.

I also see you have the new Hendin on your desk. I'm still waiting on mine. :(

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 01:48:39 pm »
Is that an oak rolltop desk? I've always wanted one of those with all it's nooks and crannies to store things.

Yep !!   It's not an antique, although I've had it for 19 years...so it's on its way to becoming one, one day.  I also love the nooks and crannies....EXCEPT for when I forget where I put something and then have to go through them all until I find it !!

I had pre-ordered the Hendin book from Amphora (numbered and signed), and received it about two weeks ago.

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 02:14:43 pm »
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6121/6038073863_1a3620c8c8_z.jpg

Here is my little rolltop desk, you can see my fancy camera set-up on the right  ;),  and 4 coins that I am attempting to ID on the book.  You may even be able to make out a screenshot of a rather informative website i am referring to on the iPad.

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 02:18:21 pm »
Oops, the pic didn't attach, I cannot attach in the normal manner (I am on an iPad)  but hoped this would work.

Online *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 02:38:23 pm »
Here is your pic, crawforde.

Alex  :angel:

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 07:18:59 pm »
Here is your pic, crawforde.

Alex  :angel:

I love the variety of desk photos that have appeared, in the two now-parallel threads on this topic (which maybe should be merged).

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 01:34:33 pm »
Hi,

Think I've posted this pic before somewhere.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 02:57:57 am »
I've recently begun to hang out at the London Library in St.James square. Here's a couple of pics of my (different) desks, one in a reading room and one in a hidden corner of the book stacks, and the view from my desk from the window at left in that hidden corner. Evidently none of the usual clutter and coins on my desk given that it's a library, rather than my library!

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 10:00:28 am »
I've recently begun to hang out at the London Library in St.James square. Here's a couple of pics of my (different) desks, one in a reading room and one in a hidden corner of the book stacks, and the view from my desk from the window at left in that hidden corner. Evidently none of the usual clutter and coins on my desk given that it's a library, rather than my library!

There's something intriguing about that desk stuck in the corner behind all the book racks.  I can just imagine sitting there with all those old books surrounding you, and the slight musty smell that often accompanies them.  And the view from the window ain't half bad either !!!!

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 06:14:22 pm »
I am a little ashamed how disorganized I am here are two pictures opposite easy other, for my coins with my computer not shown,,,Work and teaching and traveling fun has been keeping me busy..

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 08:22:45 pm »
I am a little ashamed how disorganized I am here are two pictures opposite easy other, for my coins with my computer not shown,,,Work and teaching and traveling fun has been keeping me busy..

I think very many Forum members would love this desk because it is covered in coins, and what's even better, yet to be identified coins, and perhaps even yet to be cleaned coins. There's as many coins in the piles on your desk as in my entire 30 year old collection. The last time I had a pile of unsorted coins on my desk was the last time I bought a group lot, which my records say was a lot of 30 Republican bronzes which I purchased in 1994, some of which coins I still have today as they were not half bad: i.e. they were a group lot, rather than an uncleaned lot. The group of coins in the opening post of this thread was waiting to be replaced in a tray, i.e. they were not unsorted; the photo is pretty dated as I can see a play-pen in the background and whilst I sometimes think my young one should be behind bars, the chances of getting her into a playpen are long gone. I once only bought an uncleaned lot. They are still in a bag somewhere, uncleaned. You could hide my one and only group lot underneath any of the coin piles on your desk!

Anyway I love your desk, I love the coin cabinet, an old deep-trayed Swann I think, I love the books on your desk, all within hand's reach and I love that you've got all sorts of practical things like pencils, brushes, 'scope and such like. This is a desk of someone who loves to work with their coins! I can see you've had so much fun here, and that you are having fun today too, probably as much or more than I ever have with my pretty Abafil trays with their pretty coins!

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 11:35:27 pm »
Andrew you are kind with your view, I do love my corner of world, though I could equally love a afternoon or month in a dusty corner of a library. We all have our own streams we must travel, it is to travel them well and gracefully if we can I think.

CW

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 11:51:33 pm »
Hey Wileyc......I think it may be time for another cabinet !!!!  ;)

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 10:01:53 am »
Craig!
Yes I agree, your cabinet has held up well! and is almost full!

CW

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 10:14:32 am »
“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?”

Not mine ,......But   Albert Einstein  :)
Sam Mansourati

Peter P2

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 06:42:10 am »
Hi all,
this is my desk it is simple but I like it  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity