Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Revalued Postumus sestertius  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Revalued Postumus sestertius
« on: August 14, 2010, 06:05:01 am »
Hi all,

An unusual piece. Originally a laureate sestertius with Fides Militum reverse; this coin has then had a punch applied to the area around the back of the head, giving the impression of a radiate crown. This has affected part of the lettering but some details of hair and laurels are still visible where the punches have not obliterated them. The punching seems to have flattened the corresponding part of the reverse.
The rationale behind this was clearly, by adding a radiate crown (or something that looks a bit like one), to transform the piece into a double sestertius.

Regards,

Adrianus

maximinvs

Re: Revalued Postumus sestertius
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 10:01:43 am »
I have read about this, but this is the first time I have seen a photo. Clearly the radiate headgear still implied greater intrinsic value, though I suspect at a vestigal level.

Postumus' bronzes vary enormously in weight, with both laureat and radiate pieces varying from under 10g to over 30g, and variously described as asses, dupondii, sestertii and double sestertii. Using these in the marketplace must have been a nightmare, unless they circulated by weight or at a tariff greater than their intrinsic value.

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,
Ian

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 04:50:43 pm »
Postumus' bronzes vary enormously in weight, with both laureat and radiate pieces varying from under 10g to over 30g, and variously described as asses, dupondii, sestertii and double sestertii. Using these in the marketplace must have been a nightmare, unless they circulated by weight or at a tariff greater than their intrinsic value.

Late Roman coins were a token currency valued much higher than their intrinsic value.  Weight indicated the denomination but coins definitely were not weighed to conduct transactions.  As long as they could determine the denomination (and I suspect most people could), it wouldn't have been a nightmare.     
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 01:28:41 am »
Hi Adrianus,

a very interesting coin. I have a similar piece where the aureole was scratched afterwards into the coin.
It was surely done to revaluate a sestertius to a double sestertius. This is a typical feature of demonetization during an inflation.

Regards

kc

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 05:41:31 pm »
Hi kc,

That is a great example. I think there are similar coins with cut radiate crowns in Bastien's article but I don't have it to hand. The addition of a radiate crown must have been perceived as a useful way of increasing a coin's value....Postumus' large bronze comes in so many shapes and sizes whether with radiate crowns or not  :-\

Regards,

Adrianus

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:01:03 am »
Never seen that before. That's most interesting, and consistent with a very inflationist period.

Thanks both for showing
Potator

All coins are guaranteed for eternity