Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is there a computer camera,like a web cam,to take coin photos?  (Read 11433 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Is there a computer camera,like a web cam,to take coin photos?
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 01:52:21 am »
One or another of my Nikon cameras, or maybe it was the Nikon web site, discussed a device that allolwed you, in effect, to use your computer screen as an external monitor.  It was tempting to consider, but within my set up I was too lazy to figure out how best to use it.  But it isn't hard to do, I should think: I mean, a monitor is a monitor.  You just want to get your camera's oerating chip to "talk to" your computer.
I'm sure graphic designers use such things routinely.
Pat L.

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
Re: Is there a computer camera,like a web cam,to take coin photos?
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 01:19:59 pm »
My setup is simple...I just use whatever family camera happens to be(currently a Panasonic FZ28)...put the camera on a desk so it won't shake, stack some books to offset the height of the coin so it is somewhat in the middle of the field, turn the camera's macro mode on, put it in auto mode, and shoot pictures.  If the coin won't stay vertical on its own, I borrow my kid's play dough.

Full sun light is best, but I find those 300 Watts halogen floor lights aren't that bad...

I don't have artistic pictures but I have functional ones.

I don't use photoshop either.  I just use MS paint to resize and cut and paste.

A single coin takes about 5-7 minutes to do; but doing a bunch at the same times saves a lot of time per coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity