Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The most enigmatic type of Tomis  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
The most enigmatic type of Tomis
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:24:11 pm »
Hi!

Recently I got this coin, which I think is the most enigmatic type of Tomis.

Septimius Severus, AD 193-211
AE 26, 10.81g, 26.15mm, 195°
obv. AV K.L CEPTI - CEVHROC P
       Head, laureate, r-
rev. MHTRO - P - P - ONTOV TO - MEWC (from 12h clockwise to 9h)
      Two-wheeled cart drawn by a bull pacing l.; in the cart a bearded man in himation std. r.,
      upper part of the body and head turned l., r. hand stretched out l., r. hand bent; in front of
      the bull a woman in double-chiton advancing l., head turned r., with r. hand holding an
      unknown object on r. shoulder, l. hand raised r.
      in upper field Delta (for tetrassarion)
ref. a) not in AMNG:
          rev. AMNG I/2, 2756 (depiction)
                AMNG I/2, 2757 (legend)
          obv. AMNG I/2, 2757
      b) Varbanov (engl.) 4845 var. (= AMNG 2757)

Regling writes: This strange depiction, first seen at Marcus Aurelius (Regling: Pertinax), we probably must take as a scene from a local myth. The man sometimes looks like Herakles. An explanation for this picture I have not found. A vague relation could be the depiction of the transport of the sick Philoktetes to Troy (Robert, Sarkophagreliefs II, p.150). Here too the constancy of the type suggests a copy of a monument.

Today this type is known from Marcus Aurelius, Commodus, Pertinax, Severus, Domna, Caracalla, Geta, Elagabal, Severus Alexander, Maximinus, Gordian III and Philip II. The rev. depiction is mostly identical. Interesting is the type of Pertinax, where the bearded man looks like Pertinax himself http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/pertinax/_tomis_AE26_Moushmov_1869.jpg

Is there any new information available about this type since Regling has written his description in AD 1910?

Best regards

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: The most enigmatic type of Tomis
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 04:58:08 pm »

From the specimens pictured in AMNG I Taf. VII I can't see how this figure could be Herakles!

http://www.archive.org/stream/p1dieantikenmn01akaduoft#page/n553/mode/2up
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:41:31 pm »

Balkan Gordios the author of Alex the Great's Gordian Knot perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordias // http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordian_Knot

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 06:37:13 pm »
A very interesting story! Some of the essentials are present: Riding in his ox-cart, his patroness, and his origin in Macedonia. I think it's worth to be studied further.

Jochen

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 08:07:31 pm »

Louis Robert, "Les dieux des Motaleis in Phrygie," Journal des savants 1 (1983), 45-63 , 51, n. 16, wants to see Gordios with his oxcart on a stele from Thiounta in Phrygia:

From other sources it seems that the figure-in-oxcart appears on two steles from Thiounta, both too badly damaged to help much in unpuzzling Tomis' design.  At least equally germane to this whole case, at more points than one: Ernest A. Fredricksmeyer, "Alexander, Midas, and the Oracle at Gordium," Classical Philology,  56 [1961], 160-168, on the Balkan connection (Bryges / Phryges, Moesi / Mysi, etc.) and on how Alexander aligned his own schemes with the Phrygian migration from the Balkans.  Fredricksmeyer is more interested in a Balkan Midas-connection than in Gordios proper, but a well-documented rotation of Midas and Gordios in Phrygia as dynastic names makes it easy to see how the "Gordios-saga" could come to supply an especially apt migrating-founder figure.  And given Tomis's barbarous reputation in early Imperial times it would surely help bolster the outpost's own cultural credentials to be able to claim the first founder of a lineage like Phrygian Midas's.  See now also the further discussion at https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=25089.msg404048#msg404048.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:28:09 am »
Thanks so much. I'm very happy!

Jochen

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 06:02:53 pm »
On one of the later pages of the Persée article mentioned and linked to above, is a map of Phrygia. Are my eyes tired of identifying Tyche types or does part of the map look like the turreted head of Tyche facing right ? :o

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 06:28:10 pm »
Hi Dane!

And at the left border I see a woman with a crown.  ;)
I think it is like seeing figures in clouds!

Best
Jochen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity