Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kodak v1233 and Tripod (or lack of)  (Read 880 times)

Offline simmurray

• Consul
Kodak v1233 and Tripod (or lack of)
« on: July 05, 2010, 05:04:45 pm »
Hi all,

I am now wanting to photgraph my coins properly  ;D - I have no idea what tripod is best or compatible with a Kodak v1233, can somebody point me in th right direction or recommend a tripod for this camera please?  I want to be able to place the coins flat on a surface and then use the tripod to position the camera above this (I will worry about lighting after this initial point)

Any help would be much appreciated
Steve

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Re: Kodak v1233 and Tripod (or lack of)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:07:36 pm »
I am  a great believer in tripods but have taken most of my photos using a copy stand instead.  My point is any support is better than none.  To prove this once, I put my wife's point and shoot on a plastic food container which I cut to accept the camera on the top and allow access to the coin on the side.  The size and details of the cuts will depend on your camera and coins.   I prefer coins placed a bit above the background allowing it to be out of focus but you may not.   I accomplish this using a dowel rod cu to the size that places the coin where I want it.   Photo below.

I also have constructed a small stand out of scrap wood that supports the camera.  You decide how far you need to be from the coins and cut accordingly.   Every camera is different but most zoom lenses will have a range that is useful.  It is often easier to fix the camera solidly and make adjustments in distance by moving the coin.   This is easily done if you have several dowel rods of different lengths.

Heavy cameras like DSLR's don't work as well with such cobbled together rigs but your camera, like my wife's, is light and can be held securely with some ease.  If your camera has a way of releasing the shutter without touching the camera (self timer or remote release) this will help avoid motion blurred photos.

Offline simmurray

• Consul
Re: Kodak v1233 and Tripod (or lack of)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 04:50:57 pm »
Thanks Doug - I went out and put a copy stand and used naturall sunlight; this has improved my pictures by a mile.  They are less blurry and inconsistently; I have replaced all my pics except my Athena Owl with my new method as seen my gallery in my footer.

Think the next step is to work on the light and background

Thanks
Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity