Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Possible dangers associated with velour trays?  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
Possible dangers associated with velour trays?
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:27:36 pm »
Are there any known or possible dangers associated with velour and velour affect coin trays other than wear on the high points, due to sliding about? I ask as I've recently noticed 5 or 6 of my denarii have developed a kind of purple staining on the high points of the portraits where they have been in contact with the tray. Lemon juice soaks wouldn't remove the staining but managed to mostly remove them with washing up liquid. I've had my coins in the trays for over a year now and it's only in the last month I've noticed this. Any ideas what may be causing this?

Adrian

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Re: Possible dangers associated with velour trays?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:33:50 pm »
What are your trays made of ?
Plain, real genuine velvet, or some chemical ersatz of velvet ?

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:48:09 pm »
They seem to be plastic trays with a soft coating of something unknown to me. They are the standard red trays that came with my Lindner case.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:03:48 pm »
perhaps it's a synthetic flock sprayed on over the plastic?

this is one reason why i don't like the trays with circular compartments, or others that don't allow room for the flip. they can slide about, the details aren't with the coin, and who knows what this 'stuff' is?
i use the plastic bags to hold the coin (which then goes into the flip). maybe something like that would work to isolate the coin from the tray?

~ Peter

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:06:28 pm »
Ok, then for your valuable items go for wooden framed/velvet trays. They are much more attractive with their deep dark red color and will be softer to your treasures ; for the cost of a very common worn denarius per tray, It's worth the spent IMO

Potator

dltcoins

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 10:31:54 pm »
i use the plastic bags to hold the coin (which then goes into the flip). maybe something like that would work to isolate the coin from the tray?

I can't speak for the trays but "plastic bags" sound bad. As soft plastics age, the plasticizing (softening) agent (aka PVC) outgasses a corrosive acid which will attack silver and bronze. Just this afternoon, I broke down a collection of modern coins which had been held in plastic sheets in a 3-ring binder for perhaps 30 years. Some suffered from moderate PVC damage, ranging from light green encrustation on silver coins to an oily green slime over porous surfaces on copper. Only "safe" plastics should ever come in contact with coins!   

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 02:49:14 am »
these are archival bags designed for coins, and are readily available in different sizes from many dealers.
i have stored my entire collection (silver and bronze) this way for over twenty years and i've had no adverse effects whatsoever... no corrosion, BD, or any discoloration at all. what they do though is provide a buffer from the friction the coin can suffer from even the best flips.

~ Peter

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 05:08:15 am »
I keep my entire collection of silver denari on conventional velvet lined trays, I can't say I have noticed any wear to my coins. Are people really suggesting this is now an unsafe way to store them? Why are these the standard trays that are sold at every coin show and website if they are not good for the coins?

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 06:16:07 am »
The material is abrasive so coins get worn, especially if they've been taken to coin shows for years and years
without being sold.
Andreas Reich

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 12:56:53 pm »
I want to stick with trays - anyone know what the highest quality coin tray are that minimise abrasion?

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 02:02:19 pm »
The material is abrasive so coins get worn, especially if they've been taken to coin shows for years and years
without being sold.

Is real velvet (not its synthetic version) really abrasive to the coins? I was planning to get a wooden cabinet lined with velvet for longer term storage of my denarii. Not that the coins will move around, but nevertheless, I'd like to know.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 02:14:40 pm »
I use trays too. Mine are made by Abafil of Italy but rather than being velvet, they are felt. Velvet ones are more expensive but I expect felt is a lot more abrasive. However, I use paper backing and since I don't live on a boat, I dont really expect the reverses of my coins to be worn smooth.

http://www.abafil.com/eng/prodotti/prodotti.php

All coins are guaranteed for eternity