Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small but accurate digital scales..recommendations?  (Read 8065 times)

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
Small but accurate digital scales..recommendations?
« on: May 08, 2010, 05:38:54 pm »
Hi all,

Am planning to fully attribute accurate weights to my whole collection in the near future..I am therefore looking for some small, accurate and reliable digital weight measuring scales. Does anyone have any recommendations of particular scales or websites they can direct me to? I know these can be picked up fairly cheap at fairs, just wanted to canvas all you experts to see which ones you use.

Cheers!
Kained

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Small but accurate digital scales..recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 06:15:47 pm »
Hi all,

Am planning to fully attribute accurate weights to my whole collection in the near future..I am therefore looking for some small, accurate and reliable digital weight measuring scales. Does anyone have any recommendations of particular scales or websites they can direct me to? I know these can be picked up fairly cheap at fairs, just wanted to canvas all you experts to see which ones you use.

Cheers!
Kained

I bought my last digital scales in a rough neighbourhood bling shop usually patronised by drug-dealers. The proprietor, behind protective bars, told me that his customers liked diamond encrusted watches but his digital scales were pretty accurate for measuring powders. He tried to sell me an obviously-nicked but genuine second-hand and dinged Cartier gold mens bracelet in the same transaction. I took the information about his business associates as a good warranty for my digital scales, assuming he would want to remain on the same side of the tracks as his friends, thus unlikely to sell duff measuring equipment.

The brand is Durascale. 0.01 grams (do NOT buy 0.1 gram accuracy scale, useless for distinguishing between coins on the basis of weight when you drop a tray, and also useless for research).

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 03:25:24 am »
Several of us have MyWeigh MX-50.  It is very regular and accurate and in seven years I've only once replaced its four AAA batteries.  Pat L.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 03:59:19 am »
I have the same as Pat, and although mine is very good, it has a flaw; it says the batteries are low when they are not. Rotating them in place with my thumb keeps them going for a while longer.  I replace them about once a year and use up the old ones in my MP3 player.  But for weighing it is accurate and reliable.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 04:27:48 am »
I do use a Leuchtturm DW1 which I'm happy with.

Potator

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 07:30:56 am »
Brilliant story Andrew! His "Business associates" indeed.  8)

Thanks for both those recommendations. The Leuchtturm DW1 looks like the sort I am after. Quite surprised by the jump in price when you want to measure to the 1/100g though  :-\

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 07:46:19 am »
Brilliant story Andrew! His "Business associates" indeed.  8)

Thanks for both those recommendations. The Leuchtturm DW1 looks like the sort I am after. Quite surprised by the jump in price when you want to measure to the 1/100g though  :-\

1/100 gram is essential to be able to tell apart otherwise similar coins, thus keeping provenance and avoiding mix-ups. Bearing in mind that all scales are somewhat inaccurate, a coin weighing in at 1.8 grams on a 1/10 gram scale may in fact weigh anywhere between 1.7 and 1.9 grams which is pretty unacceptable inaccuracy. And for statistical work, for determining standards, or for telling plated coins - where an 8% weight difference needs to be determined from uncertain starting points - the 1/100 scale offers valuable extra precision. Finally, when selling coins, many buyers would consider 0.1 gram weights as being effectively uncertain and may discount what they are willing to pay.

So it is well worth the extra $20 or so.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 09:18:19 am »
American Weight Precision Scale

SU38423. American Weight Precision Scale, backlit LCD display, stainless   steel platform, protective cover doubles as an expansion tray, weighs up to 55   grams, accurate to 0.01g (100ths of a gram), 3.75" x 3.6" x 0.75"; $40.00

Click the photo to go to the catalog page.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 09:23:51 am »
Thanks Joe, I searched around the shop but couldn't find your scales section.

That looks like it ticks all the boxes and at a good price. Very sleek and modern too.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity