Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Double struck and or mis-struck coins  (Read 2014 times)

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Double struck and or mis-struck coins
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:40:11 pm »
Thought it may be interesting if members start a thread and post some of their mis-struck Romans. I'll start with a couple of mine. I find them very interesting myself.

Gallienus (353 368 AD).  AE AntoninianusRome MintFine.  Spectacular obverse doublestrike, the second strike half off-center. 
Radiate head right/Antelope walking right.  Most interesting. 

It was originally, I believe, a Constantius II VOT / XX / MVLT / XXX AE-4 struck in the late 340s AD.  A few years later, in the 350s, when the FEL TEMP REPARATIO soldier spearing a fallen barbarian horseman type was introduced, it was struck again with that design.
The busts from both strikes are visible on the obverse as are the remnants of the legends.  On the reverse you can clearly make out the soldier spearing the horseman and parts of the FEL TEMP legend.  Underneath that you can also see some of the wreath from the earlier VOT / XX design. 

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Re: Double struck and or mis-struck coins
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:45:02 pm »
1. Arcadius with two full mintmarks  .ANTS   The question is why they turned the die around between strikes.  I have seen these with two different dies used as evidence that two teams alternated on one obverse anvil.  I can't establish that these two strikes were from a different die but it is a possibility.

2. Constantius II 'Jugate' busts

3. Constantine I double strike but in addition the reverse die had been seriously damaged by a die clash so the incuse shows twice as well.

4. It may not be 'mistruck' but this is an overstrike of Trajan Decius over Geta.

5. Some Byzantine bronzes are rare NOT overstruck but they get interesting to me when you can identify a third die.  I believe this is Heraclius/Focus/Tiberius II but I'm open to your corrections. 

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:11:38 pm »
Not Roman, but this Jannaeus was turned round 180 degrees before being struck again with the same dies. It was subsequently restruck with YNTN dies.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 04:57:03 am »
The following coin from the Forum catalog is quite interesting, described as follows:-

"The peculiar reverse  legend  of this coin is actually a combination of two different legends, ORIENS  AVG and SOLI  INVCTO. It is usually considered that the reverse  was the mobile hammer die, and in this case the coin was struck twice, with dies having different legends, but each having the exact same type: Sol and two captives. "Shadow" contours of the second Sol and captives can be easily seen right next to the well struck devices."

Martin

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 08:04:54 pm »
RIC IX 70     Arcadius /SALVS REIPVBLICAE
Double struck Rev/Obv , Obv/Rev,.

Offline Charles F3

• Auxiliary
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 01:35:05 am »
Is it worth getting double struck LRE follises slabbed?

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 07:04:52 pm »
Slabbing coins in plastic boxes is not recommend as it does not add any value.
Did you mean something else by being slabbed?

stairman

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 01:56:13 am »
Quote from: Tacitus on September 11, 2019, 07:04:52 pm
Slabbing coins in plastic boxes is not recommend as it does not add any value.
Did you mean something else by being slabbed?
You know for a fact he didn't mean something else.
You can either be polite, and answer him, or not post a reply.
SMDH

All coins are guaranteed for eternity